It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is there a Go server that doesn't require Java?
Post #1 Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:50 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 9
KGS: HandA
Tygem: NhaTrang11
IGS: Nagi
Wbaduk: handa711
OGS: hoanganh2357
Seriously, is it that hard to not require this horrible technology?

This post by handa711 was liked by: Joaz Banbeck

Post subject: Re: Is there a Go server that doesn't require Java?
Post #2 Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:15 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
handa711 wrote:

Tygem, IGS, wbaduk...

I don't think it's that horrible though.

Post #3 Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:37 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
• Dragon Go Server (DGS) dragongoserver.net (correspondence games only)
• Online Go Server (OGS) online-go.com (live & correspondence games, server of my choice)

Post #4 Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:18 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 216
I guess you're talking about KGS. If you use Chrome as your browser you can use this:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=13297

Post #5 Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:50 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 272
Was liked: 126
If you want to use the official Java client for KGS, you can also run it under Zulu which is based on OpenJDK and can be "installed" by simply extracting a zip-file so it won't pollute your system with automatic updaters, browser toolbars, adware or other rubbish: https://probabilism.wordpress.com/2016/ ... al-damage/

Post #6 Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:47 am 
Oza

The Windows and Mac packages are already packaged to not need any special Java installs. The package just puts the JRE with the executable.

Post #7 Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:22 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 14
oren wrote:
handa711 wrote:

Tygem, IGS, wbaduk...

I don't think it's that horrible though.

It's a massive attack surface so unless you isolate it in someway (Charlie's suggestion is good) it's a bit of a headache.

A list of the Java vulnerabilities this year.
https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-93/product_id-19117/Oracle-JRE.html

Also KGS use an invalid SSL certificate (still, even though in 2016 you can get them for free) and you also need to whitelist IIRC even then.

Besides this, Apple have pretty much made it so that each version of Mac OS X KGS breaks without some manual work.

So yeah. It's horrible.

This post by longshanks was liked by: Drew

Post #8 Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:54 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 24
OGS: Saint Ravitt
The only place I ever play is OGS at online-go.com. its a great server that requires nothing like that.

This post by Joelnelsonb was liked by: Bonobo

Post #9 Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:29 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 193
Was liked: 21
KGS: Azumi93
Online playing schedule: When I am in a mood for Go :D
handa711 wrote:

What's wrong with Java? Why would you care about the technology as long as the product works?

Post #10 Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:37 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 228
Was liked: 84
Stefany93 wrote:

What's wrong with Java?

Here's a good place to start if you're curious.

Post #11 Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:45 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Drew, please don't use an obfuscated url so I know where I would go if I click that link. Why do you want to use a short url if space is not limited (and you've given a long link text) and people aren't going to be typing it into their device from a poster?

This post by Uberdude was liked by: Charlie

Post #12 Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:56 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
Drew wrote:
Stefany93 wrote:

What's wrong with Java?

Link please.

Post #13 Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:07 pm 
Lives in gote

Drew wrote:
Stefany93 wrote:
What's wrong with Java?

Uberdude wrote:
Drew, please don't use an obfuscated url so I know where I would go if I click that link. Why do you want to use a short url if space is not limited (and you've given a long link text) and people aren't going to be typing it into their device from a poster?

DrStraw wrote:
Link please.

It was a joke, linking back to this: https://www.google.com/#q=what%27s+wrong+with+java

Post #14 Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:30 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 272
Was liked: 126
"Let Me Google That For You" is a very obnoxious way to answer a question. It isn't a joke and it isn't funny - it's arrogant and lazy and shows that you disdain to answer the question from your own perspective. That last point is a very good reason to simply hold your peace.

As a programmer, I'll step in and answer the original question from MY perspective: there's nothing truly wrong with Java as a language itself. All programming languages have their pros and cons and Java is no different - it is a mature, well thought out Object Oriented programming language. The problems start when you look at the way Java is realised.

• Java programmes require you to install a runtime environment in order to run them. This runtime environment is bundled with stuff that "phones home", automatic update services and, in the past, with blatant malware in the form of the Ask Toolbar.
  • Java's RE is also bundled with a browser plugin that is installed in nearly all Web Browser software.
  • Java's RE and associated Browser plugin are flawed - having them installed on your system and in your browser opens you up to malicious attacks because of flaws in the implementation. Oracle's ones are closed-source so these flaws can not be fixed or easily discovered by anyone but Oracle.
  • Java's license terms are obscure and incredibly vague, filled with traps that lawyers can exploit to extort money from successful users (programmers) of Java whenever Larry wants a new boat.
  • Java's developer tools and artefacts are freely distributed but that distribution also includes several things that are not free to use. No barriers present you from using them and you'll get away with it until the lawyers take another turn, by which time you might have inadvertently and unknowingly sold your soul to Oracle.

This post by Charlie was liked by 4 people: Bantari, Bonobo, dfan, Stefany93

Post #15 Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:55 pm 
Lives in gote

Well said.

Post #16 Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:11 pm 
Oza

Charlie wrote:
Java programmes require you to install a runtime environment in order to run them. This runtime environment is bundled with stuff that "phones home", automatic update services and, in the past, with blatant malware in the form of the Ask Toolbar.

There is a windows and mac package that handle just having a runtime environment for cgoban. There's nothing extra to install.

Post #17 Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:27 pm 
Dies with sente

oren wrote:
Charlie wrote:
Java programmes require you to install a runtime environment in order to run them. This runtime environment is bundled with stuff that "phones home", automatic update services and, in the past, with blatant malware in the form of the Ask Toolbar.

There is a windows and mac package that handle just having a runtime environment for cgoban. There's nothing extra to install.

Can you post the link to this please?

Post #18 Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:34 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
longshanks wrote:
oren wrote:

I for one don't know of a Mac KGS package that includes Java <shrug> but here are the official KGS downloads: http://www.gokgs.com/ (.exe for Windows, .dmg file for Mac, and the raw Java file).

(I prefer OGS which I can just load in a browser tab, though sometimes I visit KGS for fond memories and for watching DeepZen if it plays again.)

Post #19 Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:22 am 
Dies with sente

Bonobo wrote:
longshanks wrote:
oren wrote:

I for one don't know of a Mac KGS package that includes Java <shrug> but here are the official KGS downloads: http://www.gokgs.com/ (.exe for Windows, .dmg file for Mac, and the raw Java file).

(I prefer OGS which I can just load in a browser tab, though sometimes I visit KGS for fond memories and for watching DeepZen if it plays again.)

And this is the rub:

From https://www.gokgs.com/
"All versions of the KGS client require you to install java first"

Yeah, no thanks!

I used Charlies method. A nice native HTML5 method would be even better. Think I've seen something about here of some Google Chrome add-on. Would be lovely if there were a Firefox version at some point. I don't know if there's any technical reason for why Google was chosen, or if it was just a preference.

Post #20 Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:15 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 71
longshanks wrote:
Bonobo wrote:
longshanks wrote:

And this is the rub:

From https://www.gokgs.com/
"All versions of the KGS client require you to install java first"

Yeah, no thanks!

I used Charlies method. A nice native HTML5 method would be even better. Think I've seen something about here of some Google Chrome add-on. Would be lovely if there were a Firefox version at some point. I don't know if there's any technical reason for why Google was chosen, or if it was just a preference.

As far as I was aware KGS have been offering versions for download with their own JRE for around a year now, maybe more. That's why the Mac DMG has grown to 67MB. I think this was done to stop conflicts with different JRE versions. If you download the default download links you should notice the size difference. I'm surprised no one seems to know about this?

As far as the security concerns, I disagree. Java is extremely widely used, which means it gets more press when exploits are found. I don't believe the runtime is less safe per se. There are always going to be exploits (would you argue that languages with manual pointers, manual memory allocation and manual garbage collection are safer)? Admittedly applets are well known for their leaky sandboxing, but Chrome no longer supports them at all, neither does Safari by default, and it's ultimately up to the user whether they go with it on Firefox / IE. And no-one uses applets these days anyway.

Honestly this sort of stuff drives me nuts. It's like saying you don't want to go to the music festival because heaven forbid you might meet a nice community and enjoy yourself, but let's not do it because there will be bacteria around and the ground might get a bit muddy.