It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Open source pattern search
Post #1 Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:57 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 9
Hello,

I'm vaguely planning on creating yet another Go pattern search website. Instead of writing everything myself, I'd prefer to use existing software when possible.

As far as I'm aware, only EidoGo is open source (AGPLv3). Would this be the best place to start? I'd be happy about any hints or ideas where to look further.

Post subject: Re: Open source pattern search
Post #2 Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:32 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 202
Was liked: 1087
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
Kombilo https://github.com/ugoertz/kombilo/ is under the MIT licence.

Post #3 Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:55 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 15
Here's a list of open source Go libraries:

https://github.com/waltheri/go-libraries

Even though Waltheri's go pattern search isn't open source per se, it could be an inspirational resource. But I guess you know that one already... :D

Post #4 Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:22 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 40
Hello,

that sounds like an interesting project. As Herman mentioned, you could base your project on Kombilo, if you like. The main downside I see with the current Kombilo engine is that the search results are obtained only after the search is finished (which, depending on the search pattern, might be longer than you want to wait, in particular if the server is under a high load).

I have some (vague) plans to make the Kombilo pattern search engine more web friendly by putting the pattern search into a separate thread(s) which could run in the background and would produce partial results while running.

Probably this would not be too difficult, but it would take me some time because it seems most reasonable to use a more current C++ standard (C++11, say) and hence probably the code for the search engine should be updated a little bit before. (The current code is parallelized using OpenMP.)

Another (even more vague) plan would be to move to a browser-based user interface to replace the current Tkinter GUI (which has the advantage of being cross-platform, but which is not so beautiful). With these two things in place, it would be trivial to set up a web server running Kombilo in the way you have in mind. But since time is limited, I am not sure whether I will ever get there myself ...

Anyway, feel free to use Kombilo as a basis for your project. If you would like to contribute things back to Kombilo, I would be happy (but of course this is not a requirement).

Best regards,

Ulrich