It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any news on the "The Surrounding Game" documentary?
Post #1 Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:32 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 27
I just found out about this today. Is this documentary out, or is it still in production? The news I saw was like 3 years old, but I couldn't find anything on it being on sale.

Post subject: Re: Any news on the "The Surrounding Game" documentary?
Post #2 Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:25 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Reddit post of January 4: https://www.reddit.com/r/baduk/comments ... most_here/

Post #3 Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:37 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
Bonobo wrote:

As I don't use reddit or know what it is I am reluctant to click on the link. Would it not have been better to quote it here?

Post #4 Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:50 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
DrStraw wrote:
As I don't use reddit or know what it is I am reluctant to click on the link. Would it not have been better to quote it here?
It's a bit much to ask others to stop using hyperlinks in order to accommodate your idiosyncrasies.

This post by hyperpape was liked by: betterlife

Post #5 Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:10 pm 
Oza

Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
hyperpape wrote:
DrStraw wrote:
It's a bit much to ask others to stop using hyperlinks in order to accommodate your idiosyncrasies.

Hyper, you seem to be always hyper about jumping on anything I say. What exactly have I done to offend you?

As for the link, I think it is pretty bad to assume that everyone clicks on every link given to them in this age of malware, trojan horses and such. If I do not trust something I don't click on it, clear and simple. And, even though I have heard of it, I don't really know what reddit is, so I don't trust it. Same with twitter and facebook. I don't know what they store about me or if they can infect my computer so I never click on them.

This post by DrStraw was liked by: Waylon

Post #6 Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:18 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 527
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
DrStraw wrote:
Bonobo wrote:

Reddit is a social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website, one of the most popular fora for discussion on the internet. Its Go section is one of the three main places Go is actively discussed in English, along with this site and the OGS forums. It is perfectly safe to click on any link taking you to reddit.com, of which this is not the first on this site. It will just take you to a page of threaded discussion. If you don't wish to do so I reproduce the main content here.
Quote:
For the first time since their completion of the feature, the producers of the "Surrounding Game" spoke with me about the creation process and release information. You can read all about it here :)

For more information, you can always contact the team through their website or on Twitter @TheGoMovie.

There is also some further discussion which I omit.

This post by dfan was liked by 2 people: betterlife, Bonobo

Post #7 Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:28 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 44
Was liked: 218
GD Posts: 10
Oh No! More link to click?
Don't worry, I copy it for you.

On the 21st of August, the official Twitter of the Surrounding Game movie producers announced that their movie which has been in the works since 2012 is finally complete! For me personally, this is very exciting. I've been so excited for this ever since they first announced that there was going to be a movie. I remember talking to my friend when I first heard about it and we were talking about how this could influence the publicity Go receives massively. Since then, of course, AlphaGo has come along and Go has received much more attention than anyone could ever imagine and I think that will only add to the success of this movie.

On my end, at least, the impact of AlphaGo has been very direct. Many friends know me as someone that plays a lot of Go and so when the Google Deepmind Challenge Match happened, a lot of people were contacting me and asking whether this was the same game. I'll leave the AlphaGo stories for another time though :)

In any case, the Surrounding Game is a very exciting piece of news for the Go community because of all the effects it can have. I know it will be a great movie as well as very educating on Go. This whole deal began in 2012 when the team was able to raise $25,000 on a KickStarter. After "four years, five months, and twenty one days," the team has been rewarded for all of it's hard work.

In terms of what's next, here's what they released on their KickStarter page:
The world premiere will be at a film festival TBD, and we’ll continue with regional premieres in early 2017. Once we complete our festival circuit, we’ll be able to ship the long-awaited DVDs and downloads to all of you who pre-ordered them, along with the remaining rewards - followed by releasing the film to the general public.

I reached out to the fantastic directors/producers of the film Will Lockhart and Cole Pruitt. In speaking to Cole, I learned quite a bit about the film itself and everything that went into it.

Cole made a couple things pretty clear to me. He emphasized to a great degree that this was not an advertisement for the game of Go. To the contrary, his words, "this film is about bring something compelling, with a core viewership of Go players, to a larger world." He went on to explain that it's a "narrative, character-based documentary where we follow people and things happen in their lives." While it may very well bring more people to go, he said that it isn't their priority or intention to do so. Instead, their goal is to bring something great to a lot of people that will enjoy it and hopefully learn a lot about everything that goes into something like Go.

He also made it pretty clear to me that, though he had no filming experience before taking on this beautiful project, he's spent a lot of time with the team perfecting even the smallest detail. He tells me a little about finalizing the production. "You're about to call it done and realize that maybe the logo should be a couple pixels to the left and the title a couple to the right...maybe the brightness is too high here and too low there...this film really was a project and I'm excited to show it everyone who's invested their time into it."

Because of the nature of the documentary, they've chosen to first release it through film festivals in 2017. They are planning to premiere at film festivals in the spring, followed by wider release in the summer. As I get information, I'll keep y'all updated :)

Be sure to share this out to all that you think may be interested by this sort of thing! You can follow me on twitter @alireyns and feel free to contact me by email at alireyns@gmail.com. Thanks!

This post by pookpooi was liked by: Bonobo

Post #8 Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:33 pm 
Oza

dfan wrote:
Reddit is a social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website, one of the most popular fora for discussion on the internet. Its Go section is one of the three main places Go is actively discussed in English, along with this site and the OGS forums. It is perfectly safe to click on any link taking you to reddit.com, of which this is not the first on this site. It will just take you to a page of threaded discussion. If you don't wish to do so I reproduce the main content here.

Sounds like a reincarnation of Facebook, which I absolutely do not trust. They own everything posted and share widely. You will have to be far most convincing before I will trust any social network site.

Post #9 Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:34 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 527
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
DrStraw wrote:
Sounds like a reincarnation of Facebook, which I absolutely do not trust. They own everything posted and share widely. You will have to be far most convincing before I will trust any social network site.

OK. I hope what I cut and pasted from it was helpful to you, then.

Post #10 Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:19 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
DrStraw wrote:
Hyper, you seem to be always hyper about jumping on anything I say. What exactly have I done to offend you?
I can't really answer this, given our rules on the board. However, I responded because the comment about Reddit seemed to be uninformed and a bit demanding, and when I find that combination, I sometimes respond critically.

Practically speaking, if you don't want to expose yourself to malicious websites, I recommend learning to use curl or lynx, or using NoScript, or something else. There are some websites that they won't work on, but I believe Reddit is not one of them.

Edit: of course, this list above is just the start of a rabbit hole of things you can do to be safe. At the high end, you can do things like run Qubes, but for most people, the answer is "run Chrome, maybe run NoScript, use the latest version of your OS, and be careful about opening attachments and avoiding phishing".

This post by hyperpape was liked by: Bonobo

Post #11 Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:51 pm 
Oza

I cannot really recommend clicking this … I don't want to be responsible for any unhappy memories that may be triggered …

I have, myself, often compared the ’net with the dark forest where wolves and robbers may hide behind every other tree, especially when people wanted to be “nice” and sent me, via email, some “e-card” which actually they did NOT send but instead a link to some obscure Web site, and then I knew that they had given that site my email address, which then I compared to writing my telephone number on the wall of some Autobahn toilet … so … I can, to some extent, understand DrStraws reluctance to click something unknown.

DrStraw, I think I’m just a few years younger than you (*1957, does that qualify me for an old fart already?), so I guess we share a few “idiosyncrasies” ;) (An idiosyncrasy, BTW, is not necessarily something bad. And the older I get, the more idiosyncratic I become. Some call me quirky or an oddball, I believe I’m simply not afraid to be unconventional or nonconformist :-) )

Nevertheless I’d like to invite you to trust me just a little more with the links I post … I’ve been using the ’net since 1831 :twisted: and only twice did I catch a malware, one was the Frankie virus on the Atari ST, the other a rare virus on the Mac, over 20 years ago, distributed on the CD of a renowned computer magazine.

And re: comparing reddit to FB—I am on both, like I am also here, on Google plus, on Twitter, in the German forum, in several mailing lists and <gasp> newsgroups …

• FB is like a nursery with mostly undisciplined kids who click everything they can click on. Focus on emotions, I’d say :-?
  • Reddit is for nerds and geeks, often with an affinity for IT. Clean interface, no bling bling. Many intelligent people. More than here perhaps :mrgreen: Focus on topics and information.
  • G+ is for grownups but still too time-consuming :sad: Cleaner interface than FB. Focus on interests.
  • Not to forget Twitter … a short message system, focus on … what? Some people just tweet how their farts smell after having eaten different foods, but who’d follow those people? Not me, so I follow mostly Go folks there, and science people, and news … but since I am easily addicted, I usually stay away from Twitter.

Anyway, it all depends on how you use it, I guess, active ignoring can be helpful, and only to follow sources you really want to read, and NEVER to read the comments sections :-D

And thanks for those who posted the information here and thus saved me from having to put on my asbestos underwear and ABC suit and visiting that site again for copy/pasting that info.

Post subject:
Post #12 Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:17 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Quote:
a renowned computer magazine.
MacWorld ? :study:

Post subject: Re:
Post #13 Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:25 am 
Oza

EdLee wrote:
Quote:
a renowned computer magazine.
MacWorld ? :study:

Uhm, IIRC it was a German Mac magazine, I don’t remember which it was (I read so many at the time).

This one: http://www.macintouch.com/hkvirus.html also called “Hongkong Virus”, actually a worm. And it was in 1998, so I was wrong in writing “over 20 years”.