It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Memorizing Pro Games?
Post #21 Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:23 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
In my opinion you can learn from any aspect of studying if you have an open mind....however pro games themselves can be hard to digest for inexperienced players. I would recommend looking at sites like gogameguru.com which has commentated pro games for free explaining their moves. I would also not shy away from looking at amateur games as well. Ive watched some extremely high level amateur games on the AGA channel and they usually have commentary as well. Youtube will also have players stream games and they will often discuss strategy and technique as they are making their moves

Memorizing is great, but if you are unable to apply what you memorize to your own games because you do not understand, you will be essentially making a house of cards that will at some point fall over when you have to "swim" on your own

Post #22 Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:57 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 23
I think there is value in playing through pro games even if you're a weak player.

Don't bother to try and understand too much, unless you're a Dan player. You will gradually get a feel for what is the right move and, more importantly, what are the good shapes you should try to emulate in your games.

This post by mumps was liked by: xed_over

Post #23 Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:00 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 23
BTW it's probably best to play them out on the board from a paper diagram because that will gradually teach you which part of the board is any time as you will initially be hunting round for the right area for the next move! Technology doesn't always help with learning...

This post by mumps was liked by: xed_over

Post #24 Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:14 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
bombur wrote:
Memorizing is great, but if you are unable to apply what you memorize to your own games because you do not understand, you will be essentially making a house of cards that will at some point fall over when you have to "swim" on your own

Well, of course, if you are unable to apply what you memorize, why do it? But that is a big if. It is not easy to memorize something if it does not mean anything to you.

When I was first learning go, I avoided memorization, preferring to work things out if possible. But now I wonder if there is not a place for memorization. For one thing, the ancients in all cultures that I know about stressed memorization. Maybe they were on to something. For another, learning go is somewhat like learning a foreign language, and memorization plays an important role in that. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #25 Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:22 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 24
OGS: Saint Ravitt
I've come to think of memorizing games the same way I think of memorizing songs as musician. The only reason I would ever memorize a song that I didn't write is to help break it down and better understand all the working parts, ultimately for the sake of furthering my understanding of music in general. Nonetheless, you can't really apply something if you don't understand the concept behind it, as was said. But! I believe that with either a pro game or a piece of music, repetition and memorizing will help you put the whole thing into perspective and better understand how one part effects another. I think it particularly worth noting places where players seemingly break the "rules" or violate different theoretical principles but it ends up working out anyways.