It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: My plan to become 3-kyu in 4 weeks!
Post #41 Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:24 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 546
Was liked: 173
GD Posts: 264
KGS: Chew
Would you say that any one portion of your new routine is helping particularly a lot or is doing particularly little? Or is it too hard to tell what's causing your improvement?

Post #42 Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:40 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
I think "Get Strong at Tesuji" is improving my game for the most part. These tiny, yet powerful moves which give you a better result locally, wether to become thick or get a descent shape, this radiates throughout the board : D

"Tesuji" by James Davies on the other hand offers a lot of really useful stuff, but is harder to grasp. In the games I played, I managed to miss some of the Tesujis I just learnt. So, this definitely needs a re-read/further study.

"1001 Life-and-Death-Problems" is mere artificial reading and vital point spotting practice.

"Opening Theory Made Easy" is very useful to remember some very basic approaches in the opening. Forget about Chinese or Kobayashi, here you will learn the basics, which you might have forgotten due to imitating Pro openings : D Definitely helps to have a clearer mind, when looking on the board.

So, I think all this together helps me playing a better game. At least when studying constantly so that ideas and moves become second nature and are still fresh in the mind. For instance, I have noticed, that when I actually find a Tesuji in my game, I will not forget it so easily. But, well, playing is very important so that you can use your new knowledge. If your head is full of theory, you end up with don't knowing where to go first because you lack the practical approach (my experience : D).

This post by SoDesuNe was liked by: Chew Terr

Post #43 Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:57 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 23
Good luck! :D

So how's ur level now? 5k ?

Post #44 Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:09 am 
Gosei

Thank you!

On KGS I'm rock-solid 6k at the moment, but I should be able to make 5k quite easily, if I'd go for it.
Karaklis interfered a bit, because I lost to him as he was rated 10k - nasty sandbagger! =D But this is not much of a problem, as long as I'm satisfied with my play. After Thursday I have more time to play a few games, so maybe I will manage to rank up then.

Post #45 Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:52 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 105
GD Posts: 600
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

:lol:

My play is very volatile, and so is my rank. Once I was called a sandbagger when I was able to beat a 6k, and on the other hand I have regular slumps down to 10k. So I am somewhere between 5k and 10k I guess, depending on my current mental/physical state...

Post #46 Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:56 am 
Gosei

Uhh, I'm getting sloppy here.

Day 12-14 out of 29:
27 Tsumego (? wrong) from “1001 Life-and-Death Problems” - check!
87 Tesujis (? wrong) from “Get Strong at Tesuji” - check!

3 Principles from “Opening Theory Made Easy” - check!
1 Chapter from “Tesuji” - check!

Post #47 Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:01 pm 
Gosei

I think, I lost track =o

I finished "1001 Life-and-Death Problems" yesterday, so I'm approx. two weeks ahead schedule. Tomorrow I'll finish "Get Strong at Tesuji", again approx. two weeks ahead schedule.
I have five chapters left from "Tesuji", that's right on time. I have nine principles left from "Opening Theory Made Easy", right on time, too.
Sadly, I didn't read a chapter from "Attack and Defense", yet. So here I'm six days off. And I didn't look into "38 Basic Joseki" any further.

So, to set things straight: "Tesuji" and "Opening Theory Made Easy" will be read as planned. I'm going to catch up on "Attack and Defense" and I will at least have a decent look into pincer Josekis from "38 Basic Josekis". Furthermore I'm going to borrow "Graded Go Problems For Beginners Vol. 4" on Wednesday since I can't survive without a problem book =(

Concerning my rank: I managed to become a 5 Kyu without playing; my reputation precedes me =D

Stay tuned!

Post #48 Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:27 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 3
The key is to ask strong players to help you in direction of play and power of stones, i went from 5 kyu to 3 kyu in 8 days

Post #49 Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:04 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 163
Was liked: 62
So, the guy currently eating Tsumego for breakfast is also the guy I play next in the L19 title tournament.

Hmm.

Maybe I can make a study recommendation as you prepare for our match.

Post #50 Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:15 am 
Gosei

Kaliwan wrote:
The key is to ask strong players to help you in direction of play and power of stones, i went from 5 kyu to 3 kyu in 8 days

Yeah, I always ask a Shodan to review my games and play like three games with him each week (on 4 stones). Else, I don't know any stronger player, so I take what I get =D

rubin427
I'm more into inventing principles but well, what's the difference? : D I hope we manage to play a thrilling game and I don't immediately blunder in the first corner ; )

Post #51 Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:56 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 23
Kaliwan wrote:

magic, only by reviewing the game with strong players?

Post #52 Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:38 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 3
yes review moves not teaching games plus asking few questions of direction, and to know that the most points are in the center :)

Post #53 Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:12 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 85
Was liked: 85
GD Posts: 100
Hi, thx for this interesting thread. I'm thinking of having a go following it myself. I was wondering though - when you say "2 josekis", what sort of study method are you doing?

Post #54 Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:42 pm 
Gosei

Well, at a quick glance I can tell that I at least "saw" 3/4 of the Josekis from "38 Basic Josekis", so the method is more a remembering than a real studying. And yeah, I didn't really learn Josekis right now, since I never lost a game because of a bad Joseki choice so far.

I think, the approach of playing a game and let a stronger player review it to get to know where you could have played better is far more beneficial. That way one might learn a new Joseki in a context and thus can remember it more easily.

Post #55 Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:30 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 85
Was liked: 85
GD Posts: 100
ok, thanks. Maybe if I embark on my own "month of pain" I wouldn't put too much focus on the Josekis. Consistent reviews by a stronger player will have to wait until I can afford to pay someone :sad:

edit: hmm maybe I can afford a strong amateur player..

Post #56 Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:49 am 
Gosei

Oh, I love "Graded Go Problems for Beginners Volume 4"! I did the first 36 problems so far and they have just the right difficulty. Maybe I'll finally learn to go with a structured approach, otherwise the important move tends to slip my mind, occasionally ^^

"Tesuji" and "Opening Theory Made Easy" is still on plan. "Attack and Defense", hm, yeah... ney.

One week to go!

Post #57 Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:30 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 28
Was liked: 65
KGS: Numsgil
CnP wrote:
ok, thanks. Maybe if I embark on my own "month of pain" I wouldn't put too much focus on the Josekis. Consistent reviews by a stronger player will have to wait until I can afford to pay someone :sad:

edit: hmm maybe I can afford a strong amateur player..

You can always do the go teaching ladder. The quality of the reviews varies, but it's free and you can certainly get quite a few reviews done.

Post #58 Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:57 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 28
Was liked: 65
KGS: Numsgil
SoDesuNe wrote:
One week to go!

So have you noticed yourself being much stronger? Any indication as far as progress towards your goal beyond problems done and books read?

Post #59 Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:04 am 
Gosei

I became stronger, there's no doubt about that. "Much" is hard to value; realistically I don't think I can make it to 3 Kyu in one week, but I might be able to reach 4 Kyu on KGS.
Since I have a strong friend who helps me reviewing my games, the most important thing for me now is to play a lot of games to get the knack of direction of play, positional judgment and so on. This way, I can also try to apply all the Tesujis I learned : D

Sadly, I can't figure out what your second sentence says : /

Post #60 Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:22 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 1
GD Posts: 146
KGS: Thomato
Online playing schedule: Inconsistent
SoDesuNe wrote:
Sadly, I can't figure out what your second sentence says : /

He was saying have you played any strong player and beaten them or done anything like that to indicate you have improved toward your goal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next