It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seeking someone to sharpen iron with.
Post #1 Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:14 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 18
Was liked: 10
KGS: Uzziel
Kaya handle: Uzziel
I just started go about 3 months ago. I am half way through making my own goban (2inches thick fulle size 19x19 sanding took forever!) and I just need to draw the lines which is going to be agonizingly difficult.

I am working with life and death problems as well as studying a professional game each day.

I just started reading "Go - A complete introduction to the game - By Cho Chi Kun" as of last week.

A few months ago I had the issue with caring about winning or losing, and I seek to learn things as quickly as possible
so I burned out because of a bad attitude and getting creamed like crazy. The complexity of Go is very pleasing and its
philosophical connections are very inspiring to me. I am hoping to have insights in life with the increase of my understanding of Go.

Now with all of this being said I am wanting to know if there is anyone who is significantly stronger than a new player who is willing to have daily games with me. I am wanting to be very consistent with the games and have however many you want per day, but logically I find there is strength in playing the same person consistently (while playing others of course).

When I go on KGS automatch is ok, but I do not see how I will be able to improve when losing to an opponent who does not care to discuss the game.

My schedule variates (as every normal persons does). But I am free usually from 5PM to 2:00AM CST each day. (excluding say 3 hours inside of that time slot for more important things.)

Hope to find someone interested as I am looking to learn how to play well soon. I am not seeking to win... just seeking to play , enjoy, and understand. Maybe sometime in the future my mastery will allow me to play with skill to seek a win.

Thanks for your time.

Post subject: Re: Seeking someone to sharpen iron with.
Post #2 Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:21 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 19
Universal go server handle: ProtoJazz
Im not particularly high in rank, or on every night, but feel free to start games with me on Dragon or OGS, I usualy have my phone with me and check it frequently

This post by ProtoJazz was liked by: Uzziel

Post #3 Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:23 pm 
Dies with sente

Sounds good. I am not going to refuse any offers to play from higher ranked players. I have just read (in other threads of this forum) that it is not possible to get strong by playing those who are of equivalent strength or less early on.

And 30k v.s. 13k is a significant difference :D

Thanks I will definitely hit you up.

Post #4 Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:25 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
You can join the lifein19x19.com room on KGS and also just ask for games any time.

You can play the games on automatch and ask stronger players for reviews afterwards.

This post by oren was liked by: Uzziel

Post #5 Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:30 pm 
Dies with sente

oren wrote:
You can join the lifein19x19.com room on KGS and also just ask for games any time.

You can play the games on automatch and ask stronger players for reviews afterwards.

Didn't know there was a room on KGS... well that makes it easy :D

When I do play on Automatch it is rare I get a high level player (maybe I have it set up wrong?).

Thanks for the info.

Post #6 Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:38 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
KGS: Coyote
DGS: Coyote
Look for me on KGS but I would also recommend joining the Advanced Study Room. Signups have started for October and it's a great way to play even games against stronger opponents and get reviews.

This post by Coyote was liked by: Uzziel

Post #7 Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:39 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
Uzziel wrote:
When I do play on Automatch it is rare I get a high level player (maybe I have it set up wrong?).

What I mean is play people your own level and then ask for review in the l19 room or the kgs teaching ladder from someone else.

Post #8 Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:40 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 703
Was liked: 288
KGS: greendemon
Tygem: greendemon
DGS: smaragdaemon
OGS: emeraldemon
Uzziel wrote:

Didn't know there was a room on KGS... well that makes it easy :D

Thanks for the info.

In automatch preferences there is a "maximum rank difference" setting, which you can set up 9.

Post #9 Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:15 pm 
Dies with sente

Coyote wrote:
Look for me on KGS but I would also recommend joining the Advanced Study Room. Signups have started for October and it's a great way to play even games against stronger opponents and get reviews.

Nice. Where do I find the signup for this?

Post #10 Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:34 pm 
Dies in gote

http://www.advancedstudyroom.com/ASR/

Starting just this last month ASR is also on Kaya, so you get to pick which you would prefer, or both if you want.

Im moving back down to delta this next month, a bit sad, but school has kept me from getting in too many games. So Im fine with just staying in the league. Delta has such a range of players too

This post by ProtoJazz was liked by: Uzziel

Post #11 Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:35 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
Uzziel wrote:
I have just read (in other threads of this forum) that it is not possible to get strong by playing those who are of equivalent strength or less early on.

well, that's not entirely true, but I think you'll get stronger much faster by playing stronger players.

one way to get games with stronger players on KGS is to play guests (guests can only play free games). Guests are frequently stronger players, and sometimes they'll even stay and review the game with you.

and you can always post a game here for review, if you don't get one online.

This post by xed_over was liked by: Uzziel

Post #12 Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:40 pm 
Dies in gote

well.. 2 begginers playing withough someone instucting them might not get anywhere with any speed. I saw this first hand trying to help at a convention once. I went to check help 2 people becuse they said they had tied the game. They had equal ammounts of stones covering the board (9x9), except for the center point. who ever played next captured the other

Post #13 Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:42 pm 
Dies with sente

ProtoJazz wrote:
well.. 2 begginers playing withough someone instucting them might not get anywhere with any speed. I saw this first hand trying to help at a convention once. I went to check help 2 people becuse they said they had tied the game. They had equal ammounts of stones covering the board (9x9), except for the center point. who ever played next captured the other

Would like to see how that game played out. :mrgreen:

Post #14 Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:29 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 18
Universal go server handle: Yukontodd
Online playing schedule: Find me on OGS these days.
Also try the teaching ladder room on kgs. Post a game there and ask for someone to play a teaching game. You might have to wait a while, depending on when you're on; on the other hand, sometimes people offer teaching games there and no one takes them up on it, so keep going back if you strike out at first.

If you ask, I'd happily play you at nine stones if I have the time, but I can't do it regularly because I can barely find the time to play regularly myself.:) I'm not in very good practice at high-handi games, so such a game is good for me on occasion, too.

Oh, and before I forget, at your level, getting through a bunch of 9x9 games against a stronger player might help too; the games go faster, and you start picking up some basic ideas about how the edges work.

Post #15 Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:57 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 105
GD Posts: 600
You may want to consider taking a free course at 321go.org. It includes tons of exercises which helped me to get from the very beginning to 15k in no time.