All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Memory Palace
Post #41 Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:47 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 408
Was liked: 422
GD Posts: 952
snorri wrote:

As for volume, let's set some expectations. The grandmaster norm for digits is memorizing 1000 in an hour. In 1993 the world record was 900. Now the world record is 2660. So let's say 500 moves in one of these training runs. Probably keep around 10 journeys of this size for training, but if one ditches training and just uses for review of joseki encodings, 5000 moves. Kogo's had about 62,000 moves the last time I checked. I think 5000 moves would be in the ballpark for a grandmaster who knows nothing about go. I am not a grandmaster and I don't know how long it will take to meet that norm. I was probably 30% of the way there at my peak, but my journeys are kind of rusty.

So the conclusion is that I wouldn't do it this way. If I wanted to learn a lot of joseki, I would do it mostly the traditional way and only use mnemotechnics in tough spots.

It sounds like it's hard to get an advantage out of these memory tricks here, I wonder if it could be used backward to get an advantage? A go board (or a specific game) AS a memory palace?

Post #42 Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:11 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 252
Was liked: 251
GD Posts: 846
Tami wrote:
Put it another way: "use complicated mnemonics!" or "think carefully about why you play x in move y situation!". Which piece of advice would you bet on Lee Chang Ho giving you, if one of the two?

Neither. What little advice I've seen from Lee ChangHo in English is mostly just "learn to read better." :) About that, he's right, of course. I'd like to see more of his thoughts sometime.

But I don't think of it as an either/or thing, so plean pardon me if I resist attempts to frame the discussion that way. I'm not saying mnenotechnics is the best way. I don't say it's necessary, and I certainly don't say it's easy. I'm just trying to respond to the OP's question and I do say there are some possible uses. I'm not even trying to sell a book.

Post #43 Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:24 am 
Lives in sente

Oh, and for those not as strong as shapenaji, just use your favorite opening and make each move a locus to remember something...

Be very vivid and imagine the players or something happening on the board. For example, if toothpaste is on the list, maybe imagine Cho Chikun brushing his teeth and then spitting on the move where the toothpaste is to be remembered.

Post #44 Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:39 am 
Lives in sente

shapenaji wrote:
It sounds like it's hard to get an advantage out of these memory tricks here, I wonder if it could be used backward to get an advantage? A go board (or a specific game) AS a memory palace?

I tried to respond, but my response got lost. Anyway, use a game with key moves in the game marked as loci (a ko, invasion, probe) and put iteams you want to rememeber there, or just your favorite opening. Imagine the players---people are sometimes easier to remember than objects---actually doing something interesting with the object you want to remember at that point in the game.

Post #45 Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:23 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 180
Was liked: 151
GD Posts: 422
KGS: komi
snorri wrote:
shapenaji wrote:

I tried to respond, but my response got lost. Anyway, use a game with key moves in the game marked as loci (a ko, invasion, probe) and put iteams you want to rememeber there, or just your favorite opening. Imagine the players---people are sometimes easier to remember than objects---actually doing something interesting with the object you want to remember at that point in the game.

Nice ideas. Seems like one could get quite a large collection of (admittedly small) palaces by referring to popular openings (low chinese, high chinese, sanrensei, great wall, rotating komoku, kobayashi, mini chinese, etc)

Post #46 Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:25 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 63
GD Posts: 150
KGS: aokun
quantumf wrote:
snorri wrote:
shapenaji wrote:

Nice ideas. Seems like one could get quite a large collection of (admittedly small) palaces by referring to popular openings (low chinese, high chinese, sanrensei, great wall, rotating komoku, kobayashi, mini chinese, etc)

This might be a good way of making palaces out of go memories for use memorizing _other_ things. The trouble with using them to remember go things is that they'd be easy to confuse. Don't forget that memory techniques make use of things the memory remembers easily, like places and vivid actions, to store things hard to remember, like words, digits, names and abstract elements. If the thing being remembered and the thing being used to remember resemble each other, there might not be much advantage and the similarity could act as camouflage.

This post by aokun was liked by 2 people: shapenaji, snorri

Post #47 Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:59 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 408
Was liked: 422
GD Posts: 952
aokun wrote:

This might be a good way of making palaces out of go memories for use memorizing _other_ things. The trouble with using them to remember go things is that they'd be easy to confuse. Don't forget that memory techniques make use of things the memory remembers easily, like places and vivid actions, to store things hard to remember, like words, digits, names and abstract elements. If the thing being remembered and the thing being used to remember resemble each other, there might not be much advantage and the similarity could act as camouflage.

Yeah, that's more or less what I was thinking, use the ability to store 300+ moves in memory to make yourself a better memory athelete

This post by shapenaji was liked by: snorri

Post #48 Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:18 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
About memory and meaning:

Wasn't there a study long ago that found that chess masters and beginners did about as well when asked to remember a random chess position that they could see for only a few seconds, but that the masters did much better when presented with positions from actual games? Wouldn't the same hold true for go? IOW, meaning helps memory.

For instance:

and

The second example is quite easy. :)

Here is another. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #49 Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:33 am 
Lives in sente

Bill Spight wrote:

Wasn't there a study long ago that found that chess masters and beginners did about as well when asked to remember a random chess position that they could see for only a few seconds, but that the masters did much better when presented with positions from actual games?

Maybe you're thinking about Chase, W.G. and Simon, H.A. Perception in Chess 1973, Cognitive Psychology 4, 55-81?

Post #50 Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:37 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
snorri wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:

Wasn't there a study long ago that found that chess masters and beginners did about as well when asked to remember a random chess position that they could see for only a few seconds, but that the masters did much better when presented with positions from actual games?

Maybe you're thinking about Chase, W.G. and Simon, H.A. Perception in Chess 1973, Cognitive Psychology 4, 55-81?

but there was also a youtube video about it featuring one of the Polgar sisters to demonstrate. I remember seeing it (but can't find it).

Post #51 Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:16 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
snorri wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:

Thanks. :) It was de Groot's research, which they mention.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #52 Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:59 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 41
KGS: KoDream
IGS: SmoothOper
quantumf wrote:
I've recently been reading about Memory Palaces http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Method_of_loci and after some experimentation I've been quite impressed by how well the work.

Recent discussions in the Tami's Way topic and the Intuition topic have prompted me to wonder whether there is any mileage to be gained by trying to apply this memory technique to Go.

If indeed one can store hundreds, or even thousands of facts, in a reliable and retrievable way, what should one attempt to store?

Just a checklist of things to remember? A pretty lengthy and detailed checklist could be kept.

A list of principles and techniques? Which ones?

Joseki sequences? An encoding method is not clear to me.

A 'shape' database? What does this even mean?

Has anyone tried this? If not, do you have any opinions or suggestions?

The Memory palace is pretty well known to work. It may have limited use in Go, since it is primarily for temporary memory, since one of the primary techniques in the memory palace, is to empty the palace, so that you use the palace to remember other things later. However, there is an often cited a connection between recalling temporary memories and long term memories and that improvement in one is likely to improve the other.