It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 3rd Bailing Cup
Post #41 Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:15 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 22
Was liked: 98
Winning the first match while playing black is pretty huge, and it was a well-played game without noticeable mistakes from Ke Jie. Good sign for Chen.

Post #42 Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:08 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 278
KGS: mathmo 4d
IGS: mathmo 4d
translation of pro commentary

This post by dhu163 was liked by 13 people: dejvo, eyecatcher, ez4u, gamesorry, handa711, hokusai, jeromie, Joaz Banbeck, kimidori, Kirby, Solomon, sparky314, Uberdude

Post #43 Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:06 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 2339
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
@dhu163

Thank you very much for all you recent translations. :bow: They are great, including this one! :clap: :clap: :clap:

This post by ez4u was liked by: Kirby

Post #44 Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:34 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
ez4u wrote:
@dhu163

Thank you very much for all you recent translations. :bow: They are great, including this one! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Seconded! Thank you, dhu163.

Post #45 Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:06 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 319
Was liked: 287
Universal go server handle: jeromie
That was one of the most fun game commentaries I've ever read! :tmbup:

Post #46 Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:52 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4631
On move 11 Meng said it was very unusual and he didn't know what to expect next. But it has appeared in around 10% of this fuseki in the GoGoD database, and a third of the time (all with top players) since it was introduced by Ke Jie no less about a year and a half ago.

OK, it's maybe not mainstream yet, but "very unusual"??? I've noticed before, with considerable surprise, that even top pros often seem unaware of new developments. That would never happen in the chess world. Maybe it's one reason AlphaGo has an edge?

Quote:
Seconded! Thank you, dhu163.

Sorry, can't resist the baseball reference: I'm third on Hu!

Post #47 Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:37 am 
Lives in gote

It is a bit surprising Meng doesn't know about this move. With a longer reflection I think he'd realise it is normal. But he often uses hyperbole and relies on feeling, often his first feeling.

He has joked before that he would make a good football commentator, but that it's not so easy to apply those skills to go.

I've heard that reference so many times. I often you another common idea: Dr Who?.

Post #48 Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:49 am 
Lives in sente

Yes, I think the comments make sense when you remember that it's a transcription of live TV commentary. There are some lines they probably just don't have time to consider, and at other times I got the impression that they played the buffoon for comic effect. Being entertaining probably takes priority over an exhaustive analysis of the position, though I also think the commentary was quite informative.

Post #49 Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:56 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 16
wouah , thank you so much. I was waiting for this commentary ^^ . Your job is priceless ^^ .
Tomorrow they will play the second game. Hope Ke jie will win :)

Post #50 Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:52 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 90
Was liked: 837
KGS: Capsule 4d
Tygem: 치킨까스 5d
Just another person expressing my gratitude, thank you dhu163!

Post #51 Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:45 pm 
Lives in gote

I translate some of the player's post match comments:

Ke Jie: This is my first time in Pu Er. It's quite comfortable, like when the wind blows. I was a bit irritated by the bugs, but the whole environment is quite good, half mountain, half water.

After the first ponnuki I wasn't too sure who had the advantage. My profit from the ponnuki in terms of real points wasn't much and all my stones inside died. I didn't feel I had the advantage, but just felt it was playable. The second ponnuki, I'm not sure, perhaps I lost out. Saving those few stones didn't feel that big, about 20 points, perhaps I should have just extended.

In the endgame, there were a lot of moves I could sell [literal translation], I didn't play the best moves. At the top, sticking to his shape I'm not sure about, I was a bit scared of [muffled, sounds like, I was scared the clamp was sente]. But then when he extended [in the centre] it seemed very big.

Actually I thought I was going to win, but counting again after the extension, it seemed not so, a bit close. So I wedged into it, and the following series. Actually I was in byo-yomi and hadn't read clearly, and after I was knocked out by the ko, so I lost.

Chen YaoYe: I'm very happy to come to Pu Er to come play this competition. Pu Er is a very beautiful place and I'm very happy to see so many go enthusiasts [the children].

After black's ponnuki I thought black was clearly leading but my capture was a bit slow. My thinking was mistaken. I thought after he played the knight's move, I could cut but then found that after he makes empty triangle, it's not so easy for me to connect.

Regarding the first white ponnuki, I thought black didn't have any other good way to play. If I didn't press him down, it's not so easy to find another move, and after that the exchange was pretty much forced. After that the game was basically even.

But in afternoon I thought getting the jump at the top was good for black. W just rescued 20 points, but on it's own I thought the jump was very big, and also got a centre ponnuki as an extra. I thought then, black was doing alright. But the subsequent attack, I feel didn't get anything. Afterwards, when white connected, it was black's position that had some thinness. If a bit more thick the combinations in the centre would be different.

Originally I thought black was alright, I just needed to make a few points from the attack, but my play had some problems somewhere. But afterwards, white's point making maybe had some issues. After I extended I thought I had a slight advantage. His wedge wasn't ok, but at the time if he protected the group below and I got the tiger mouth I thought black would win by a little.

This post by dhu163 was liked by: ez4u

Post #52 Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:49 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 528
Bailing Cup Final commentary by Myungwan Kim 9P Wednesday night.

http://www.usgo.org/news/2016/09/bailin ... day-night/

Post #53 Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:19 pm 
Lives in gote

Apparently Ke Jie overslept and missed the start time by 6 minutes; he got penalized with a 12-min time reduction as a result.

Post #54 Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:45 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Oh dear. Do you know if he would have forfeited if too late? I was recently at a tournament in China which also had the penalise double your lateness rule, but if more than 15 minutes late you lose.

Post #55 Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:17 pm 
Lives in gote

Uberdude wrote:
Oh dear. Do you know if he would have forfeited if too late? I was recently at a tournament in China which also had the penalise double your lateness rule, but if more than 15 minutes late you lose.

Don't really know. That'd have been something to happen in a final.

Post #56 Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:11 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 528
Game 2;
Chen Yaoye defeated Ke Jie by resign.

Chen Yaoye vs Ke Jie - 2:0

Game 3-5 - 12/16

Post #57 Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:25 pm 
Lives in gote

CCTV commentary. I'm a bit more nervous about copyright, as the source is dubious (youtube). But these commentaries are much better than weiqitv - more serious, and with connections to the live research of the "national team". the assistant commentator is also pro, with many years of experience commentating, and says a lot more.

See move 178 for Chen Yao Ye's post game interview with Chen Ying 1p

I hope this has less errors/typos that my previous ones

Attachments:
__go4go_20160922_Ke-Jie_Chen-Yaoye, cctv.sgf [17.94 KiB]
Downloaded 815 times

This post by dhu163 was liked by 5 people: dejvo, ez4u, handa711, hokusai, jeromie

Post #58 Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:40 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 11
are you sure? I find weiqitv commentaries much better usually, because weiqitv is catered to go players where as CCTV is trying to make their commentaries for everyone, and bring in new players, so it's usually a lot simpler and for lower level players.

Post #59 Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:34 pm 
Lives in gote

Both have their pros and cons. Weiqitv starts their live broadcast a lot earlier, so they have plenty of time to fill, meaning they can go into more details on the selection of moves and possible sequences. At the same time, because they have so much air time to spare, they can't be all serious all the time and just head down to focus the game, especially after they caught up, so they chat a lot. CCTV normally doesn't start until 4:30pm local time and just has an hour or so. There is also obviously the age difference in commentators as CCTV likes to invite Wang Runan and Hua Xueming, and that dictates the respective tones too.

Last edited by xiayun on Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #60 Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:07 pm 
Lives in sente

I find Chen Yaoye's style appealing, so I'm glad to see him do well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next