It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2016 Samsung Cup
Post #41 Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:48 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 22
Was liked: 98
kimidori wrote:
Bad day for Korea. Only 2 games left, and only Park JH has won so far.

It has been the trend for Korea this year in international tournaments: Park and Shin and nobody else.

Post #42 Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:02 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 11
not really... 5-3 is expected. It would be a bad day for China if China lost more than that.

EDIT:

Wow, nice comeback by Fan yunruo! Especially that tesuji at the end! wow! (or maybe shin jinseo played a spoon)

Last edited by idontgetit on Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #43 Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:21 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 26
Was liked: 4
Well, 6-2 is the final result.

It seems like Fan Yuruo catches Shin in surprise in the end with a L&D? It's hard to believe that such a thing can happen in a top pro game.

It's not seki, half of W group is dead.

Edit: But if W connects at S14 instead of S15 for the last W move, I don't see what could B really do there?

Post #44 Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:27 am 
Dies with sente

yeah, i'm dumb.

I think if w connects, black gets a few extra points because w has to take black stones, right? But from what I can see, white would still win by 0.5 after playing it out on the board.

Post #45 Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:35 am 
Dies with sente

I've played it out. And it seems that if Shin needs to take 2 more moves to answer that group, he would lose by 0.5 (I use Japanese counting, komi 6.5). Probably that's why he did that to resign? Pro certainly can't mess up this L&D.

Post #46 Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:42 am 
Dies with sente

I've seen pro self-atari more than once, so...

And remember the nongshim cup just a few days back where Lee donghoon lost a won game with a bad timesuji?

This post by idontgetit was liked by: kimidori

Post #47 Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:59 am 
Dies with sente

Draw for the best 8:

Tuo Jiaxi vs Tan Xiao
Ke Jie vs Zhou Ruiyang
Lee Sedol vs Tang Weixing
Park Junghwan vs Fan Yunruo

Although the results today are arguably quite good for China, it is still very possible that we'll have a 2 vs 2 semi finals, so the next round is key, IMO

Post #48 Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:46 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
kimidori wrote:
I've played it out. And it seems that if Shin needs to take 2 more moves to answer that group, he would lose by 0.5 (I use Japanese counting, komi 6.5). Probably that's why he did that to resign? Pro certainly can't mess up this L&D.

I (aka play out game and WBaduk score estimate) got white 8 points behind on the board if he needs 2 moves inside, so losing by 1.5, but maybe I got something wrong (I did black sente push top right, then atari the ko, white pushes and black answer to make 1 middle point and then white connects ko). So maybe Shin made that L&D mistake as a a way of giving black the chance to make a 15 kyu mistake resulting in him only needing 1 move inside which would reverse the game if I counted wrongly, but will more likely end up as it did as an extravagant resign sequence.

Post #49 Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:58 am 
Dies with sente

Quote:
I (aka play out game and WBaduk score estimate) got white 8 points behind on the board if he needs 2 moves inside, so losing by 1.5, but maybe I got something wrong (I did black sente push top right, then atari the ko, white pushes and black answer to make 1 middle point and then white connects ko). So maybe Shin made that L&D mistake as a a way of giving black the chance to make a 15 kyu mistake resulting in him only needing 1 move inside which would reverse the game if I counted wrongly, but will more likely end up as it did as an extravagant resign sequence.

I also use Wbaduk SE. However, it seems to me that B need 1 more move on the left side if W fill the last dame. My final count is 70-63 (W spent 2 more moves on the top right group).

This post by kimidori was liked by: macelee

Post #50 Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:16 am 
Judan

kimidori wrote:
However, it seems to me that B need 1 more move on the left side if W fill the last dame.

Ah yes, I missed that. So probably it was a "Are you a retard and give me one point so I win? No. Seppuku!"

Post #51 Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:17 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 72
Was liked: 479
KGS: macelee
kimidori wrote:
it seems to me that B need 1 more move on the left side if W fill the last dame.

I believe most pro players can read this sort of details in slow games and take it into account when making positional judgement. W210 is a nice yose. So are W142 and W146 - truly smart end game moves. We dan-level amateurs may be able to find those moves without too much difficulty when solving problems, but rarely in real games.

Post #52 Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:49 pm 
Judan

Myungwan Kim will comment the Lee Sedol vs Tang Weixing game starting at 9pm PDT 5th October so 4am GMT 6th October.

This post by Uberdude was liked by 3 people: emeraldemon, findol, handa711

Post #53 Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:39 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 528
Round of 8:

Tuo Jiaxi defeated Tan Xiao by resign.
Ke Jie defeated Zhou Ruiyang by resign.
Fan Yunruo defeated Park Junghwan by 2.5.
Lee Sedol defeated Tang Weixing by resign.

Post #54 Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:53 am 
Judan

21 year-old Fan Yunruo 5d is having a great tournament: beating Korean #1 Park Junghwan, #2 Lee Sedol (in double elimination stage), and #3 or #4 rising wonderkid Shin Jinseo.

Last edited by Uberdude on Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #55 Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:53 am 
Lives in sente

Semifinal:

Lee Sedol vs. Ke Jie
Tuo Jiaxi vs. Fan Yunruo

Starting 31 Oct 2016.

Post #56 Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:58 am 
Lives in sente

Uberdude wrote:
21 year-old Fan Yunruo 5d is having a great tournament: beating Korean #1 Park Junghwan, #2 Lee Sedol (in double elimination stage), and #3 or #4 rising wonderkid Shin Jinseo.

Fan Yunruo is having a great tournament so far. His end game looks so good. He enjoyed some fame at much younger age. He is often compared to Fan Tingyu (Ing Cup winner) and Mi Yuting (MLily Cup winner) although his overall international tournament performance was not so good until this year.

Post #57 Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:01 am 
Dies with sente

Yeah, xiao Fan did well eliminating Park before the best of x matches. It'd be hard to do so then.

Based on the gamblers' fallacy, I'm going to say Lee Sedol will beat Ke Jie this time.

Fan yunruo beat Tuo, and Fan will take his first international title.

Post #58 Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:14 am 
Judan

Fan vs Park also featured that close high approach to the Kobayashi that used to be considered bad, but is getting played a fair bit recently by Ke Jie, Iyama, Park Junghwan, Tan Xiao. See Iyama game and Meng Tailing's commentary courtesy of dhu in viewtopic.php?p=209550#p209550. I feel like Fan found a good continuation in this game as he got sente to play the knight's move from the 3-4 corner and Park's attack on his other corner didn't end up so amazing with that nice attachment for sabaki (and then approaching into the pre-pincered lower left for extra fighting was interesting).

Here's the start of the game, the fighting keeps going for a while longer but in the end everything (except p16) lives.

P.S. At the end of Lee vs Tang, why didn't Tang take the 4 stones before taking the ko, eliminate double threats first. I thought maybe it's because black's threat there is smaller than white's, so maybe white would ignore to atari the corner ko, black pushes through, and white captures corner, but a quick endgame playout with that seems to be black wins by a few points.

Post #59 Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:13 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 22
Was liked: 98
The depth of Chinese players is really shining through this year. They occupied 6 of 8 at the quarterfinals of both Samsung and LG cups, but had only one player in common who got into both (Zhou Ruiyang). Then you have Mi Yuting, Lian Xiao, Gu Zihao, and Tan Xiao in the final 8 of Chunlan.

Post #60 Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:50 am 
Dies with sente

Choi Jung should be proud. She beat the Fan Yunruo that beat both Shin Jinseo and Park Junghwan. And in an international tournament (LG cup) too.

I wonder if Meng tailing will ever get a chance too shine... I know objectively it's very unlikely, but still, I'm really hoping...

his best chance is probably this years' LG cup... his next opponent is Shin, which is really bad, but hey, anything can happen in a single game.

Back on topic: Did you guys hear about the thing with the draw? :D

Apparently they did the draw, Ke Jie got paired with Lee Sedol, and Fan with Tuo, but then Lee Sedol apparently complained about some small details (not mentioned what, exactly) with the draw, and requested a redraw. The sponsors agreed, and Lee Sedol drew Ke Jie again! They're fated to battle again in this years' samsung cup :D (last years' samsung semis was the start of Ke Jie's dominance over Lee sedol).

Looks like Lee is afraid of Ke Jie :D (but his record against Tuo is really bad too, 2-5)

It's especially funny because the Chinese people on sina kept complaining saying how the koreans rigged the draw every round, lol.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next