It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lee Changho and Nongshim Cup
Post #1 Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:11 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 6
Does anyone know why Lee Changho played in 12th, 11th and 10th Nongshim Cups despite of the fact that he always lost in the Korean preliminaries? :oops:

Seeded players don't play in the preliminaries, right? So there has to be another answer. Then I thought that he plays in the 12th cup because he won the last game of the 11th cup, but that is not valid for the previous cups, so there must be another explanation.

What is that explanation? The organizers love him and always give him a wild card after they see that he loses during the preliminaries? :o

Post subject: Re: Lee Changho and Nongshim Cup
Post #2 Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:54 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
I believe it's up to the individual countries how they choose players--Japanese seem to all be seeded.

That doesn't really answer your question, but I think it's somehow a Korean decision. It is strange that he's played in the preliminaries, but competes in the main tournament whether or not he wins there.

Post #3 Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 6
hyperpape wrote:
I believe it's up to the individual countries how they choose players

This is what I think too

hyperpape wrote:
It is strange that he's played in the preliminaries, but competes in the main tournament whether or not he wins there.

Right, that's why I asked if someone knows the reason for such strange decision. It looks like Koreans want him in the main tournament no matter what. That is fine, but the solution for such situation is seeding the player. When the player participates in the preliminaries, loses and then he is given a wild card ... it looks very strange and it puts the player into a not so nice situation (this is how I see it with European eyes ;-) ). Maybe there is an explanation though ...

Post #4 Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:50 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 9
Adrian Ghioc wrote:
hyperpape wrote:
I believe it's up to the individual countries how they choose players

This is what I think too

hyperpape wrote:
It is strange that he's played in the preliminaries, but competes in the main tournament whether or not he wins there.

Right, that's why I asked if someone knows the reason for such strange decision. It looks like Koreans want him in the main tournament no matter what. That is fine, but the solution for such situation is seeding the player. When the player participates in the preliminaries, loses and then he is given a wild card ... it looks very strange and it puts the player into a not so nice situation (this is how I see it with European eyes ;-) ). Maybe there is an explanation though ...

IIRC, even a Korean had a problem with that. ;-) So you are not alone in seeing it that way.

Post #5 Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:09 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 23
Maybe he has more experience in World level tournament.
Sometimes, it's not only about skills, but also about confidence.