It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Taking lessons - is it really helpful?
Post #21 Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:00 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
paK0 wrote:
there is more than enough information in books out there to reach at least mid dan level

The information is still very incomplete because many topics are not or hardly covered. A reader might succeed nevertheless, but, if he does not despite reading all available books, a teacher can be helpful for him.

Post #22 Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:06 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
paK0 wrote:
@Kirby: I kinda disagree with that. Yes, you have to put in the work yourself, but providing general information is probably the "least" value you can get out of a teacher. I'm fairly certain that there is more than enough information in books out there to reach at least mid dan level, so there is no need to get a teacher for that. What you can get from a teacher is individual guidance, be it questions you have or reviews of your games.

@Ed: You may be right, but I wonder if there is some actual data on that. Specifically the age coupled with the time put in.

I agree more or lees. My experience so far (3 years already, with several many-month pauses) as a student in the Nordic Go Academy has shown me that to improve, I need to put in the hours. But I don't see the task of the teachers as 'information feeders' or at least not only that. They help me with my mistakes, tell me where my weaknesses lie, and give some moral support when I feel stuck. Go is a complex game, and getting reminded that you are actually playing better than a few months ago is really useful.

Post #23 Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:10 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
@Ed: I agree quick improvement of the type I mentioned will be much rarer in the older age groups. However, logan's claim was a teacher is necessary for quick improvement, so just one counterexample of any age disproves it. Of course a teacher can accelerate improvement and for some people is necessary.

Post #24 Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:06 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 187
Kirby wrote:
I happen to know a bit of Korean, and I read an interview conducted with In-seong Hwang, the teacher of the program. One interesting response he provided in the article was that he found a difference between teaching students in Europe and Korea. Namely, in Korea, if he taught a new joseki or technique, students took the information, tried it out in their games, and studied it offline on their own. When he taught students in Europe, there were many more questions. If he taught a joseki, students would ask "why" for every move. They'd ask about alternative responses. They'd ask many questions to gain understanding.

Yes, this is what I'd expect to be the major contrast between Asian and European students. I once took to saying "don't ask why at every play". There is some basic stuff in there, about learning games.

Kirby wrote:
Why then, do I want to have a teacher? There are many reasons:
* Learning up-to-date information from an experienced player.
* Having a person to review my games objectively.
* Having an example player to aim for.
* Motivation.

But all of these reasons will do nothing to make me stronger - unless *I* make myself stronger. This is what I've learned from having a teacher.

I think the "good student" is distinguished, perhaps, by the response "I still don't understand why ..." after due thought, rather than "I don't understand why ..." at first sight.

This post by Charles Matthews was liked by: Kirby

Post #25 Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:19 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 142
Was liked: 437
GD Posts: 9
Uberdude wrote:
@Ed: I agree quick improvement of the type I mentioned will be much rarer in the older age groups. However, logan's claim was a teacher is necessary for quick improvement, so just one counterexample of any age disproves it. Of course a teacher can accelerate improvement and for some people is necessary.
There are two senses of quick improvement here. The first is the kind we formulate when we compare the improvement of others to ourselves. Many shared, common experiences between players lead to the communal idea of what counts as quick improvement in the go world. But this is the wrong sense of quick improvement for teaching or tutoring. When engaging in private teaching/tutoring quick improvement is always relative to the student's aptitudes and skills. Lesson plans, goals and expectations must be designed around that student, not the imaginary, communal go player. For example, Jane is able to improve one month quicker with a teacher. Relative to Jane this counts as quick improvement.

Post #26 Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:32 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Ok, to improve more quickly with a teacher than without a teacher, it is necessary to have a teacher.

This post by Uberdude was liked by: Bantari