It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bad behavior in club...mostly mine.
Post #21 Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:25 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
hyperpape wrote:
Bantari wrote:
I have seen it before... Kids getting absolutely no guidance, and the parents saying: the school will teach them.
Really? I find it quite surprising that anyone would think this. (Of course some kids don't get guidance. But I think their parents do not think that the school will fill in the gap. I think those parents simply do not think at all).

Well, it happens, and unfortunately, from what I see around me, it happens a lot.
Also unfortunately - schools often don't do such a good job of it neither.

Post subject: Re: Bad behavior in club...mostly mine.
Post #22 Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:23 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 19
Was liked: 32
I'm sorry that your fellow go coach passed away.

About the kids: I'm pretty sure, you did a good job. 5 of the 6 kids were OK: that's a success rate of more than 80%!

I'd try again with simultanous 9x9 or 13x13 games. Just because it didn't work last time doesn't mean it won't work the next time. One advantage is, that it might be more interesting to you than slaying them with a high handycap. (I used to give a lot of simultanous games at the club, when I was the strongest player. I learned some things from it).

Are you now alone with the kids? Other players can take care of some of them some of the time as well. Even if the kids want to play exclusively you.

I think the most important is, that you enjoy going to the club. If you just go there to do some unpaid babysitting, it won't be sustainable.

I'm sure that the kid can digest the unexpected loss of that game. It's like video games, the first try you lose terribly. And next time it gets better. He should know that. If you can show him, that he is improving, he'll become motivated again.

Sometimes it happens that you trash an opponent. Especially when he provokes it. I see nothing wrong about it in your case (don't be so harsh to yourself). Sometimes I tell them slightly joking that this is part of the japanese initiation rite to the game. Even if it is not true, they like that story. And in some of them, it even plants the virus.