Post #1 Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:28 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
I recently (like 5 hours ago) made a "purchase" from Yutopian, but so far got no email confirmation, nor a payment taken from my account (paid via VISA). Anyone knows how long do they take in doing "something"? Any idea how long does shipment take?

Post subject: Re: Yutopian
Post #2 Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:07 am 
Gosei

Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
Got an answer already, I lack patience :) 2-5 weeks. Not bad!

Post #3 Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:52 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
Yutopian is not bad for a book selling publisher at all.
The worst experience I've had trying to order go books online is trying to track down copies of the English language books:

- Cho Hunhyun Life and Master Games
- Imagination of a Go Master

They are sold by Nemesis Enterprises and when their website was working, I did eventually get to order from them. BUT they didn't answer my initial email for several MONTHS. I had almost given up on them.

Good luck trying to order from them. I'm not sure if they are even still around as their website doesn't seem to work anymore.

Post #4 Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:40 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
I've been reading this forum for quite awhile but I've only just registered here to say this. I wanted to warn people about Yutopian.

I bought some books from Yutopian as a Christmas present. (Actually they were from Kiseido but I've discovered that they seem to be the same company)

The books arrived badly damaged because of poor packaging and I asked Kiseido (Yutopian) if they would replace them. I sent photos of the damaged books and offered to pay the postage again if they would replace them. I got a rude email from someone called Katherine saying it wasn't their problem and that I could buy the books again at full price if I wanted. There were a few more emails but she wasn't willing to compromise at all so I gave up.

Needless to say I didn't buy the books again and will never be shopping with Kiseido or Yutopian again. I just wanted to warn other people to think twice before dealing with these people. They seem very unprofessional.

Post #5 Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:35 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
Yutopian is not the same company as Kiseido. They may distribute books from Kiseido but I highly doubt they have the same owners. And for what it's worth, Kiseido is based in Japan while Yutopian is based in the US.

Post #6 Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:16 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 72
GD Posts: 1165
KGS: Dogen
ChrisH wrote:
I've been reading this forum for quite awhile but I've only just registered here to say this. I wanted to warn people about Yutopian.

I bought some books from Yutopian as a Christmas present. (Actually they were from Kiseido but I've discovered that they seem to be the same company)

The books arrived badly damaged because of poor packaging and I asked Kiseido (Yutopian) if they would replace them. I sent photos of the damaged books and offered to pay the postage again if they would replace them. I got a rude email from someone called Katherine saying it wasn't their problem and that I could buy the books again at full price if I wanted. There were a few more emails but she wasn't willing to compromise at all so I gave up.

Needless to say I didn't buy the books again and will never be shopping with Kiseido or Yutopian again. I just wanted to warn other people to think twice before dealing with these people. They seem very unprofessional.

That's pretty bad. I ordered from them several times, and never had problems.

Post #7 Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:01 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 29
KGS: dankenzon
I must say too that I've never had problems with Yutopian.

They are a bit slow in notifying and sometimes answering questions but I've never had problems with them

Dan

Post #8 Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:00 am 
Gosei

I got my book order!! Amazing speed, if I must say so. The books are in perfect condition, and arrived in just 6 days (I ordered them Wed 28th Dec and arrived yesterday at my office). Just for comparison, I purchased some books from the UK (non-go) and I'm still waiting for them. From now on if I'm looking for an odd Go book, if it's in Yutopian I won't doubt: I'm buying.

Post #9 Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:14 pm 
Beginner

I'm glad the books arrived safely for you Ruben. I tend to judge people by how they treat you when things go wrong, rather than when everything is going as planned. It's not the fact that the books arrived damaged that I took issue with, it's the fact that Yutopian were downright rude to me when I contacted them about it. To me that speaks volumes.

Post #10 Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:17 pm 
Beginner

KGS: jello
Tygem: jellos
Wbaduk: jello
DGS: jello
OGS: jellos
ChrisH wrote:
I tend to judge people by how they treat you when things go wrong, rather than when everything is going as planned. It's not the fact that the books arrived damaged that I took issue with, it's the fact that Yutopian were downright rude to me when I contacted them about it. To me that speaks volumes.

I am sorry to hear about your experience with Yutopian. You are absolutely right and, this is what I was thinking when I read your original post. Which is why I didn't bother to add my name as another satisfied customer in this thread (ordered "A Scientific Introduction to Go" along with a few other books from them some time ago). I can only hope that yours was an isolated experience. Perhaps the person you dealt with was having a bad day or there was some other misunderstanding in communication. Yutopian seems to be a valuable connection to what little there is of go books in english.

Post #11 Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:39 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 34
GD Posts: 24
First of all Yutopian and Kiseido are the same company. Kiseido focuses on Japanese books and equipment, while Yutopian focuses on Chinese and Korean. Katherine is usually very nice, so while I don't question your story, it seems pretty strange. Could you maybe post the picture of the damaged books?

"Those who calculate greatly will win; those who calculate only a little will lose, but what of those who don't make any calculations at all!? This is why everything must be calculated, in order to foresee victory and defeat."-The Art of War

Post #12 Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:50 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 60
GD Posts: 248
nagano wrote:
First of all Yutopian and Kiseido are the same company. Kiseido focuses on Japanese books and equipment, while Yutopian focuses on Chinese and Korean. Katherine is usually very nice, so while I don't question your story, it seems pretty strange. Could you maybe post the picture of the damaged books?

First of all, Youtopian and Kiseido are NOT the same company. Yutopian is run by the very nice Katherine and her husband. They publish books in English from a variety of original sources - Japanese, Korean and Chinese - though I suspect they often use Chinese versions of the originals.

The confusion comes from the fact that they are a primary source of supply for Kisiedo in the US, and you can order Kisiedo books from them.

I cannot speak to the complaint - it certainly seems at odds with my experience.

This post by Horibe was liked by 2 people: imabuddha, nagano