It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
Post #41 Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:26 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Charlie wrote:
Also, the automatch feature I mentioned in my last post will be ready for use so there will actually be a point to using the client.
Hi Charlie,
I never use automatch ( on KGS or IGS ), so even if this feature is completely missing, just the better-looking stones and board alone (v. CGoban's set) are enough for me. :)
Oh, and no more Java nightmare; big plus. :)

But the most important thing is there's a future to this browser based, non-Java client.

Did I mention Java nightmare.

This post by EdLee was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, fireproof

Post subject: Re: KGS Leben: browser-powered, open-source KGS client
Post #42 Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:48 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 272
Was liked: 126
Today, I have good news and bad news.

The good news is this: although I don't feel that the code is operationally stable at the moment, I am fairly happy that it is structurally stable enough for me to announce that the source code is up on GitHub and you're welcome to poke about inside it. Clone it. Build it. Serve it. Run it. See the project README for the very simple two-step build procedure and some information on how to serve the artefacts that get produced.

https://github.com/stephenmartindale/kgs-leben

The bad news is that I hardly achieved anything, this month. I reworked the style sheets and ensured that the auto-match features are now exposed through the U.I. so that no console hackery is required to use them but that's about it. I didn't even test all that much and, honestly, I don't know if half the stuff that I think is working really is, today. It was a busy month for me and programming had to take a back seat. I hope to have more time to work on KGS Leben in July and should have even more in August.

I am also embarking on a two week holiday, commencing on Saturday evening. I will try to keep abreast of PMs for the next two days before I depart. (When I get back, I will probably set up a SlackChat channel and log-in when I'm at my desk, working on the project, ready to help anyone who wants to collaborate. I thought about using a room on KGS for this but, honestly, SlackChat is much more featured.)

Nevertheless, I cannot wait to hear that someone has had a crack at building and running my work. I cannot wait to answer your questions and use them to make the project more friendly to people other than myself. Go forth and rip it apart.

Eagle-eyed GitHub users might have spotted the project on GitHub and noticed occasional commits in the last few months. Noddy badges all round, I say.

Post #43 Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:20 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 13
KGS: ZeroKun
Copying and pasting this from my response on Reddit in case anyone else is wondering.

I had set this up a few days ago, it runs pretty well and I like it. However there are a few problems that makes me not want to use it.
When you close a game, it defaults back to some other room where the game did not originate, forcing you to click on the room you were in before.
Sorting is completely messed up at this point, I assume it just hasn't been added yet. Finding a game by rank is annoying.
The time systems are not denoted, I had forgotten about systems like 10min/24 stones and was wondering what those circles had meant until I realized.
Otherwise I find the interface great.

If anything sounds harsh it isn't. Both you and the creator of GoUniverse have made great progress in a short time.

Post #44 Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:27 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 216
What is the longer term plan for users to use the client without having to build stuff? Does it require wms to bless it and run something on the gokgs server? Or for a 3rd party to be running the json convert server thingy?

Post #45 Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:42 pm 
Dies with sente

yoyoma wrote:
What is the longer term plan for users to use the client without having to build stuff? Does it require wms to bless it and run something on the gokgs server? Or for a 3rd party to be running the json convert server thingy?

There are 2 services that need to be running for this to work, the API server which runs on one type of service and the web service hosting the pages. It could be hosted on the KGS server if wms wanted, but the people who write the HTML client would either need to package it up in a browser extension or host the site themselves on another server.

Post #46 Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:04 am 
Lives in gote

@ZeroKun: Your bugs are noted. At the moment, closing any "channel" sends you back to an arbitrary one because I have made no effort to implement a sensible order or history or back-queue. Also, I haven't done anything about sorting or filtering of lists. Both are certainly planned, but other features were of a higher priority.

Quite excitingly, I am actually approaching a point where features like sorting are actually worth implementing - the temperature of the game is going down. ;)

I'll never take offense at genuine bugs or find them harsh. Quite the contrary - I am a bit of a perfectionist but just a perfectionist who knows how to prioritise.

I do not have a long-term plan as far as hosting is concerned but I do know that the JSON API is now hosted publicly by a third-party and that their server is configured for CORS so I am toying with the idea of using that or making that an option. I have not tried it, yet, because I already had a very solid and well proven development environment against which I was working when the status quo changed.

Theoretically, I could even use github.io to host the thing for Alpha if that works well enough. Testing will be required, however, because three hops over the Internet will be slower than two and even two is sub-optimal.

Post #47 Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:05 am 
Lives in gote

ZeroKun wrote:
Copying and pasting this from my response on Reddit in case anyone else is wondering.

Please link the Reddit discussion. I have not been following Reddit.

Post #48 Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:01 am 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Charlie wrote:
ZeroKun wrote:

Please link the Reddit discussion. I have not been following Reddit.

Three threads there: https://www.reddit.com/r/baduk/search?q ... rict_sr=on

Post #49 Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:38 am 
Lives in gote

Bonobo wrote:

Thanks Bonobo.

I'm off to the Alps with my boots and my pack. As the old proverb goes: "go hiking; become two stones stronger"

This post by Charlie was liked by: Bonobo

Post subject:
Post #50 Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:53 am 
Honinbo

Hi Charlie,

Have a safe & fun trip. :)

Post #51 Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:11 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 39
Was liked: 44
Universal go server handle: Jhyn
Charlie wrote:
I'm off to the Alps with my boots and my pack. As the old proverb goes: "go hiking; become two stones stronger"

Dragon Ball taught me something. Put two (big) stones in your backpack; become two stones stronger.

This post by Jhyn was liked by: Bonobo

Post subject:
Post #52 Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:15 pm 
Honinbo

Quote:
Put two (big) stones in your backpack; become two stones stronger.
Back & leg muscles get stronger, perhaps. :)

Post #53 Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:53 pm 
Dies with sente

I'm hosting it here for the time being.

http://kgsleben.coildomain.com/

This post by ZeroKun was liked by 5 people: Bonobo, daal, EdLee, Monadology, yoyoma

Post #54 Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:38 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 246
Was liked: 79
KGS: Krill
OGS: Krill
ZeroKun wrote:
I'm hosting it here for the time being.

http://kgsleben.coildomain.com/

Thanks for this. I either picked a really bad time, or automatch isn't working. Anyone gotten it to work succesfully?

Post #55 Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:41 pm 
Dies with sente

Haven't tried it myself, as I don't play much :>

Post subject:
Post #56 Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:17 pm 
Honinbo

Hi ZeroKun,

Thanks so much for hosting both new clients !

Hi Charlie,

Do I need to do something special to get the stone click sounds ?
I'm not getting any sounds on either Leben or GoUniverse...

Leben: Feature requests: Pass button, Resign button, Done button. :)

Bug (?) Leben: cannot login from iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x, Safari & another iOS browser.

Post #57 Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:34 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 63
Universal go server handle: Ootakamoku
unusable, at least for faster games, since no audio.

Post #58 Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:47 pm 
Lives in gote

Hello, L19 users.

I am back. The Alps were incredible - although the snow was disappointing. It started higher and there was much less of it, compared to last Summer. There was still enough to cause a very realistic impromptu Alpine self-arrest practice during a tragic hat-rescuing incident. The snow-slope ended before any objective danger or I wouldn't have risked rescuing the offending head-wear but stopping my unintentional rapid descent did save me one very long, very steep trudge back to the route. My poor trekking pole will never be the same again. The ladies in the party found the incident to be terribly amusing but I was carrying the only camera so they were denied evidence of my fumble.

Back to KGS Leben...

There are no sounds, as yet.

There are pass, resign and done buttons but they might need some U.I. work to make them more obvious and discoverable - I will address this forthwith and possibly elucidate their behaviour and location.

I have not tested with any mobile browsers and do not really intend supporting phones at all. Tablets should make the cut but I have no inclination to design a U.I. that works on a four-inch screen, with fingers - that essentially doubles the user-experience work which, for me, is a bit of a chore. I'm quite happy for anyone to fork the project and make a mobile version of the U.I. against the JavaScript client controllers, however, and would even entertain merging the projects in the future.

In fact, if anyone is interested in joining in, help with the user-experience side of things would be greatly appreciated.

More soon, hopefully, depending on external drains on my time - there have been many, of late.

Post #59 Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:53 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 1
looking forward for resign button :mrgreen:

p.s. also can't see in-game messages from an opponent

Post #60 Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:01 am 
Lives in gote

Autumn brings wind, leaves and forward progress: http://wp.me/p6XF4u-7l
  • Sounds for moves and pass-moves
  • Unit Tests added
  • Lots of fixes for Internet Explorer
  • Ko centres marked on the board
  • Pass, Resign and Done buttons found, polished, tested and presented

Most importantly: I did something. And with the change in seasons, I'll probably be doing more programming and less walking-about-in-the-outside.

This post by Charlie was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, ez4u

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next