It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 703 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: Malkovich registration - sign up here to play
Post #581 Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:49 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 2
KGS: xoxo88
Tygem: IxoxoI
IGS: xoxo
hey guys, i would be interested in playing a malkovich game. im egf 1d, tygem 5d (guessing egf is a littlebit outdated, prob around 2-3d).

i do not like handy games at all but i dont mind playing a weaker or stronger player. so anything above 1k can feel free to ask.

im not sure what this open or closed book stuff means but i guess its about the explanation spoiler? anyway i dont mind the mode at all.

Post #582 Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:41 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 49
Was liked: 129
xoxo88 wrote:

im not sure what this open or closed book stuff means but i guess its about the explanation spoiler?

It's about whether you can consult books, joseki dictionaries etc or not.

Post #583 Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:16 pm 
Dies with sente

its not like anybody can control if somebody does it or not. i mean its nice that you trust each other so much but let me tell you a story:

when i was in korea last year some people in the baduk school always played on tygem while the majority were studying. one day, a kid (mb 10 years old) played there and was going to resign. another kid joined, looked over the board and told him: hey dont give up, you can do this and this and this. in fact the situation was really terrible so it was quite a challenge to win this game. soon 4-5 kids who were atleast 3-4 ranks stronger than the first one discussed about the next moves and now imagine this poor opponent, playing vs 5 korean 6dans not older than 12 or 13 and has no idea whats going on. there is no fairness in the internet was the lesson of the day.

so to avoid anybody has to lie: books allowed

Post subject:
Post #584 Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:36 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
xoxo88 wrote:
there is no fairness in the internet was the lesson of the day.

so to avoid anybody has to lie: books allowed
Another angle, slightly different lessons:
  • The other kid got a free partial-lesson with dan moves.
  • The 10-year-old, plus his 4-5 classmates, bullied, and cheated—WEAK.
  • What the hell were they teaching at that school ?!
  • The parents paid money so their kids learn to be weak, to bully, and cheat ?!
  • If you play a closed book Malkovich, and your opponent cheats with Ishida, Takao, etc., then you get a free lesson with Ishida/Takao. Your opponent is WEAK.
A street fighter/boxer goes to a nursery and beats up little kids.
Who thinks he is strong, or a winner ?!

Post #585 Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:54 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 253
Was liked: 105
xoxo88, would you like to play an even game? I prefer open book/database, which might shore up our ranks a little. I'm only a KGS 1d at the moment (I used to be a bit stronger).

Post #586 Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:53 pm 
Dies with sente

EdLee wrote:
Another angle, slightly different lessons:
  • The other kid got a free partial-lesson with dan moves.
  • The 10-year-old, plus his 4-5 classmates, bullied, and cheated—WEAK.
  • What the hell were they teaching at that school ?!
  • The parents paid money so their kids learn to be weak, to bully, and cheat ?!
  • If you play a closed book Malkovich, and your opponent cheats with Ishida, Takao, etc., then you get a free lesson with Ishida/Takao. Your opponent is WEAK.
A street fighter/boxer goes to a nursery and beats up little kids.
Who thinks he is strong, or a winner ?!

youre very harsh in your judgement, dont forget that these are young kids. usually kids have a very strong will to win their games, no matter what and they can be really pissed if they dont. the culture and their education let them not show this when they play live games but they still feel the same as western children. and they still smile from one end of the face to the other and tell everybody if they beat you when you was the officially stronger player and thats okay. let them be kids, aslong they can.
why do you think they bullied? its more likely the opposite, they help each other even tough its ofc kind of morally wrong to help someone winning his own game without noting his opponent but it can be quite a good learning way to see what was still possible, where are the opposites weaknesses... i did that sometimes by myself in real games, if the opponent agrees with it: taking over resigned games of friends when i see some weaknesses to exploit. its a good way to encourage the player to play on and look harder for ways to reverse the game, and also to encourage the opponent to check his defence more. i guess we all know how frustrating it is to lose alrdy won games, thats a way to get better in finishing it solidly.

btw i never used any joseki wiktionary or sth like this for actual games, i dont have them in tournement games so i rather train myself in finding ways to deal with the situation if i dont know the joseki and cant read it out completly.

#loons
sure we can do that. can you setup the game? i need to read these articles how to post diagrams and so on. rest via pm.

Last edited by xoxo88 on Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Post #587 Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:00 am 
Honinbo

xoxo88 wrote:
why do you think they bullied?

its ofc kind of morally wrong to help someone winning his own game without noting his opponent
By definition.

Post #588 Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:03 am 
Dies with sente

so, the opponent got bullied you mean? but he dont even know. how can someone feel bullied without knowing? probably if he lose the game he will be very annoyed about hisself doing such mistakes that the other can catch up, but i doubt he feels cheated.

Post subject:
Post #589 Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:10 am 
Honinbo

xoxo88,

That's my opinion. If you think it's OK and condone, in your words, "morally wrong" behaviors in little kids,
I have nothing further to discuss with you here.

Post #590 Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:34 am 
Dies with sente

ofc its not, but as senseless it is to tell the tiger that its not okay to eat the antilope, as senseless it is to tell kids that winning is not the aim of the game. sry but thats how they work, ofc you do your best to bring them on a grown up way to view baduk but if you do that too harshly while they are young youll probably destroy their fun in the game. which kid you know says: "im okay with losing, aslong i learned something."? in my experience, the will to win is equal to the fighting power of people and fighters are usually the fastest learners, so personally i can only be happy if i see kids with lots of fightingpower. they cant canalize it yet probably but they will have a bright future because baduk is even for stable players nothing else as the ultimative fight. as stronger you get als closer you have to play at the cliff of unsecurity. getting initiative, push from above. whoever said go is a peaceful game never understood it. its an eternal battle, the most complex form of fighting, humanity ever created but in the end, not different as giving 2 people a sword and push them into an arena. the fight can be bloody and fast or aesthetic, long and wonderful to watch. just you should never forget that its all about putting your sword in the chest of the opponent.

This post by xoxo88 was liked by: Nathan

Post #591 Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:33 am 
Gosei

Next is #242

Post #592 Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:54 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 12
Universal go server handle: siowy
I would like to play a malkovich game.

kgs 4k
open or closed, either is fine
I don't mind playing far stronger or far weaker players(9d - 30k bring it on!), but I don't like to play handicap games either way.
PM me if interested and let's start a thread!

Post #593 Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:29 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 144
GD Posts: 720
If you guys are still doing these, I'm down to play whoever. I'd prefer an even game, and I'm pretty rusty. I just want an outlet to write out my thoughts to get myself back in order.

Post #594 Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:47 am 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
Violence wrote:
If you guys are still doing these, I'm down to play whoever. I'd prefer an even game, and I'm pretty rusty. I just want an outlet to write out my thoughts to get myself back in order.

You should try Drmwc. I'm playing him right now at four stones, and it is almost an even game.

PS: Welcome back

Post #595 Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:31 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 12
Universal go server handle: siowy
I'm using #242 with cobrahc.

next is #243.

Post #596 Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:25 pm 
Lives in sente

Like I said, I just want to write out my thoughts and get back into the flow of playing a game as long as Go. I've been focusing on my other hobbies for a while and coming back to Go feels weird.

I'm down to play just about everyone, though I would prefer my opponent to be at least a single digit kyu player.

Post #597 Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:55 pm 
Gosei

Violence wrote:
Like I said, I just want to write out my thoughts and get back into the flow of playing a game as long as Go. I've been focusing on my other hobbies for a while and coming back to Go feels weird.

I'm down to play just about everyone, though I would prefer my opponent to be at least a single digit kyu player.

Would you like to play me? In my finer moments I think I also write quite lucid (quite misled) Malkovich posts. My rank is kind of nebulously KGS 1d. Even/Nigiri? (It's boring taking white||black all the time, right).

If you'd like, would you like to set up a game?

Post #598 Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:04 pm 
Lives in sente

Sure! Put it up, take whichever color you feel like(randomize it yourself if you like).

I don't remember the codes so you'll have to make the original board so I can edit it.

Post #599 Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:52 pm 
Gosei

#243 is Violence vs Loons,

Next it #244

Post #600 Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:13 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 114
Was liked: 176
With Halloween nigh, it seems appropriate to scare people with a peek into my mind. So, I would love to play anyone, with or without handicaps, in a Malkovich game. Of course, a dan-level player might need to give me 20 stones or more to make it interesting, that or it could be a very, very short game, so someone between, say, 15-5 kyu might be reasonable. Frankly, I would rather not give stones myself, since I have no experience at it, but I'm willing to try giving 1 or 2 stones or taking 1 or 2 stones if someone thinks that it would be fair.

In truth, I'm most interested in post-game viewing the criticism of my (and my opponent's) play. I promise to write about lots of nonsense that goes through my head while considering what to play. :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 703 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 36  Next