It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Which ruleset would you choose?
Post #1 Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:47 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 4
Just to have a bit of a discussion, I ask a hypothetical question. If you had to choose a ruleset that would be used for all games of Go worldwide from today on, which one would you choose and why? (If you don't choose, Go will never be played again)

I would probably go for AGA rules. They are logical, clear, allow playout of L&D and let even beginners solve just about any situation without a referee/3rd person. They also have a nice feature of allowing both Chinese and Japanese counting. If I could slightly alter them, I would make a pass lift ko bans.first two consecutive passes lift ko bans.

Last edited by tiger314 on Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Which ruleset would you choose?
Post #2 Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:24 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Double Button Go.

It uses territory scoring and pass stones. But, unlike AGA rules, White is not required to make the last pass. Instead, if the player who made the first pass also makes the last pass, she does not give a pass stone for the last pass. Also, the first pass lifts any ko or superko ban, just like a board play. Therefore, if the opponent plays the second pass immediately, the first passer can retake a ko or make a play that recreates a previous whole board position. Normally, games will end with three consecutive passes, with no pass stone for the third pass.

The reason it is called double button go is that the first pass is considered a button, or a play that loses 1/2 point. The reason for the button is so that it does not matter who takes the last dame. The last pass is also a considered a button, played so that it does not matter who makes the last pass. Having the last pass made without a pass stone if made by the player who made the first pass means that we do not have to use any buttons at all to achieve the same result. :)

The reason that the first button (pass) lifts a ko or superko ban is that otherwise the player would have to fill in his own territory or sacrifice a stone to lift a ko or superko ban. Those plays cost 1 point and the button is meant to be an alternative play that functions exactly like such plays, but only costs 1/2 point. Since they lift ko bans, it should, as well. :)

Double button go is like the AGA rules, with only small changes. It produces territory scoring, which many players like, only not Japanese-style scoring, because it counts territory in seki. It also gets rid of the rule whereby White must make the last pass, which some players find confusing and arbitrary.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: HermanHiddema

Post #3 Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:19 am 
Dies with sente

So double button Go is basically (disregarding ko) AGA's where rules: "2 passes end the game, if black was the last to pass, white must make an additional pass" are changed to "3 passes end the game, if the same person makes the first and the last pass of the game, (s)he doesn't give a pass stone for his/her final pass" and the game cannot be scored using area counting?

Bill Spight wrote:
Also, the first pass lifts any ko or superko ban

Why only the first pass?

Post #4 Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:49 am 
Honinbo

tiger314 wrote:
So basically (disregarding ko) AGA's where rules: "2 passes end the game, if black was the last to pass, white must make an additional pass" are changed to "3 passes end the game, if the same person makes the first and the last pass of the game, (s)he doesn't give a pass stone for his/her final pass" and the game cannot be scored using area counting?

Bill Spight wrote:
Also, the first pass lifts any ko or superko ban

Why only the first pass?

Because if any pass lifts a ko or superko ban, then you have to have another way besides consecutive passes to end play. Three pass rules are not enough. Such rules are possible -- see my Japanese style rules ( http://senseis.xmp.net/?SpightJapaneseStyleRules ) article 9, for example -- but they introduce unfamiliar and complicated procedures that avoid anomalies that occur only rarely. AGA rules can possibly end with a kind of Moonshine Life situation, although none has been known to occur in actual play. Having only the first pass lift ko or superko bans is enough to eliminate many or most such anomalies. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #5 Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:07 am 
Dies with sente

Oh, I see, a 4-pass rule would be nessesary. Funny thing is, that a 4-pass rule is actually implemented in the AGA ruleset, without the pass lifts ko ban rule :lol:

Edit: Never mind, this doesn't work.

Last edited by tiger314 on Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

This post by tiger314 was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #6 Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:40 am 
Dies with sente

Actually, why is the following sequence not allowed:
pass(lifts ban),pass, move, move, pass(lifts ban), pass, move, move, pass, pass, pass
I don't think there is a position in which this would be the correct way to play, but for the sake of the rules a fuseki move on 1-1 is valid, so why not this?

Post #7 Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:59 am 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
tiger314 wrote:
pass(lifts ban),pass, move, move, pass(lifts ban), pass, move, move, pass, pass, pass
I don't think there is a position in which this would be the correct way to play, but for the sake of the rules a fuseki move on 1-1 is valid, so why not this?

Sounds like a waltz.

This post by DrStraw was liked by: tiger314

Post #8 Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:58 am 
Honinbo

tiger314 wrote:

Consider a double ko seki. If all passes lift ko or superko bans and two consecutive passes do not end play, one player can extend play indefinitely.

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #9 Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:59 am 
Honinbo

DrStraw wrote:
tiger314 wrote:

Sounds like a waltz.

Arthur Murray calls it a foxtrot. ;)

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #10 Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:25 am 
Dies with sente

Bill Spight wrote:
Consider a double ko seki. If all passes lift ko or superko bans and two consecutive passes do not end play, one player can extend play indefinitely.
Seems like I nearly invented a new result: game annulled due to double ko :lol:
So 4 passes to end the game don't work :cry:

Quote:
Sounds like a waltz.
As long as you ignore the last pass.

Last edited by tiger314 on Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #11 Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:35 am 
Honinbo

tiger314 wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:
Sounds like a waltz.
DrStraw wrote:
As long as you ignore the last pass.

Actually, it's this.

Bill Spight wrote:
DrStraw wrote:
Sounds like a waltz.

My mom didn't pay for those ballroom dancing lessons for nothing. ;)

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #12 Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:28 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 152
Was liked: 204
I feel that anything beyond Japanese rules is just attempting to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

Post #13 Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:57 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
palapiku wrote:
I feel that anything beyond Japanese rules is just attempting to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

First off, which japanese rules? Second, the Japanese rules are the most arbitrary of the bunch. For example bent 4 in the corner is dead always just because. Nevermind the actual situation. Not counting eyes in seki is at odds with what pretty much everyone else does, and they have a history of situational rulings based on politics rather than anything else.

Post #14 Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:29 pm 
Dies with sente

skydyr wrote:
[...]the Japanese rules are the most arbitrary of the bunch. For example bent 4 in the corner is dead always just because. Nevermind the actual situation. Not counting eyes in seki is at odds with what pretty much everyone else does, and they have a history of situational rulings based on politics rather than anything else.
I agree with everything on that list and I would like to add the trouble of explaining hypothetical play to non-players and beginners.

skydyr wrote:
First off, which japanese rules?[...]
I've noticed a lot of people ask which ruleset, but have there actually been any contemporary disputes caused by a player assuming a different Japanese-style ruleset was used? There seems to be next to no difference between these rulesets.

Post #15 Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:46 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 38
skydyr wrote:
palapiku wrote:

First off, which japanese rules? Second, the Japanese rules are the most arbitrary of the bunch. For example bent 4 in the corner is dead always just because. Nevermind the actual situation. Not counting eyes in seki is at odds with what pretty much everyone else does, and they have a history of situational rulings based on politics rather than anything else.

It's not just because, in chinese way of playing you can simply wait till the game is over and remove all ko threats in your area and then start the ko in the corner. Opponent has no ko threats and you kill it. Proves that bent four is dead.

Post #16 Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:48 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
tiger314 wrote:
Funny thing is, that a 4-pass rule is actually implemented in the AGA ruleset,

Where is this documented?

I've heard this before, but I've yet to see it documented, so it not my understanding of AGA rules.

Post #17 Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:49 pm 
Oza

tiger314 wrote:
skydyr wrote:
[...]the Japanese rules are the most arbitrary of the bunch. For example bent 4 in the corner is dead always just because. Nevermind the actual situation. Not counting eyes in seki is at odds with what pretty much everyone else does, and they have a history of situational rulings based on politics rather than anything else.
I agree with everything on that list and I would like to add the trouble of explaining hypothetical play to non-players and beginners.

The guilty secret is that hypothetical play is why bent 4 in the corner is dead. :p

tiger314 wrote:
skydyr wrote:
First off, which japanese rules?[...]
I've noticed a lot of people ask which ruleset, but have there actually been any contemporary disputes caused by a player assuming a different Japanese-style ruleset was used? There seems to be next to no difference between these rulesets.

Well, if you're playing in a tournament it should be made explicit which rules, whether they are the current ones or another set. Hypothetical play, for example, is a relatively recent invention.

That said, if you are going to hold up "the japanese rules" as perfect, you really need to specify which ones, because they do have differences in how they handle edge cases. It's not like Dosaku came down the mountain with the ten Go commandments, which shall lead to a perfect contest or the wrath of God shall fall upon us. Prior to the 20th century, there were no rules, in the sense of a formal document of them, and the pass as a move did not exist. There are at least 2 codified rulesets, one from the 40s and the other from 1989, and even then when people say Japanese rules, they often mean "the rules I usually play by even though I haven't given them much serious consideration" without specifying what that actually means. To take an extreme, I could call my cat "Japanese rules" and just have disputes decided by playing from the position after she takes a few swipes at the stones on the board. There's nothing wrong with this for casual games, but if you are going to have a game where the outcome is taken very seriously, you need to be able to adjudicate in a non-arbitrary manner.

Post #18 Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:51 pm 
Oza

Krama wrote:
skydyr wrote:
palapiku wrote:

It's not just because, in chinese way of playing you can simply wait till the game is over and remove all ko threats in your area and then start the ko in the corner. Opponent has no ko threats and you kill it. Proves that bent four is dead.

But sometimes there are unremovable ko threats, like a seki one side could successfully trade.

xed_over wrote:
tiger314 wrote:
Funny thing is, that a 4-pass rule is actually implemented in the AGA ruleset,

Where is this documented?

I've heard this before, but I've yet to see it documented, so it not my understanding of AGA rules.

It's in the official rules document, but it only occurs following the resumption of play after a status dispute.

Post #19 Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:36 pm 
Dies with sente

Bent four in the corner shows how arbitrary traditional territory scoring rules are. Since playing the situation out would cost points (removing ko threats is likely to involve playing in territory), it always has to be evaluated locally. Under an area ruleset, you can remove ko threats free of charge (after filling dame) so the situation can be played out and unremovable ko threats, which are part of the game, can alter the status.

Post #20 Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:21 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
tiger314 wrote:
Bent four in the corner shows how arbitrary traditional territory scoring rules are. Since playing the situation out would cost points (removing ko threats is likely to involve playing in territory), it always has to be evaluated locally. Under an area ruleset, you can remove ko threats free of charge (after filling dame) so the situation can be played out and unremovable ko threats, which are part of the game, can alter the status.

All rules are arbitrary. The reason to make that one is to avoid having to remove all the ko threats and get to the finish point faster.