It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: AGA modification, would it work?
Post #21 Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:12 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 4
Bill Spight wrote:
RobertJasiek wrote:
tiger314, for your rule, I do not (now) see pass-fights. You do not retain area scoring but create a new scoring system related to area scoring.

As far as I can tell, it produces the same win-loss results as area scoring with a half point button.
The difference from button go is firstly the fact that there are no exceptions to the superko rule and secondly the simplicity. You do not need to introduce a new type of move (taking the button) which seems unnatural. It also gets rid of half points, which some people consider too artificial.

Post #22 Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:43 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 83
KGS: Pio2001
Hi,
I personnaly prefer the AGA rules, because the goal of the game is easier to understand : to get at least a given number of intersections.
With this new rule, the goal would be to get at least a given number of intersections, or to be the first to pass if this number is missed by one unit.

This post by Pio2001 was liked by: tiger314

Post #23 Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:36 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 4
Pio2001 wrote:
Hi,
I personnaly prefer the AGA rules, because the goal of the game is easier to understand : to get at least a given number of intersections.
With this new rule, the goal would be to get at least a given number of intersections, or to be the first to pass if this number is missed by one unit.

The goal you state applies to all area rulesets. What puzzles me is why do most people think about the AGA rules as a slightly altered territory scoring ruleset and not as an area ruleset (like you do).

Post #24 Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:15 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
tiger314 wrote:
What puzzles me is why do most people think about the AGA rules as a slightly altered territory scoring ruleset and not as an area ruleset (like you do).

Why? History. Before the adoption of AGA rules, the vast majority of players in the US played by Japanese rules. The use of pass stones allowed those players to score their games pretty much as they were used to doing, even though the AGA rules actually used area scoring. (In fact, a lot of players at tournaments actually played by Japanese rules and didn't tell the tournament director. ;))

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #25 Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:24 am 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
tiger314 wrote:
The goal you state applies to all area rulesets. What puzzles me is why do most people think about the AGA rules as a slightly altered territory scoring ruleset and not as an area ruleset (like you do).

I view it as a ruleset that lets you play territory scoring with a tiny amount of overhead to make rules issues easier to deal with and happens to equal area scoring in the end. :)