Post subject: Use of Japanese rules
Post #1 Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:30 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
Quotation reference:
viewtopic.php?p=187994#p187994

tiger314 wrote:
Firstly, the last revision of Japonese rules was 26 years ago.

No. As to the Japanese 1989 Rules, there have been revisions of tournament rules afterwards but it seems that the rules of play are still pretty much the same for the Japanese pros. Other Japanese style rules exist.

Quote:
As far as I know, they have been used ever since the English translation was published as THE written ruled of Go in Europe

Wrong. Different European countries have used different Japanese (or other) rulesets. This includes different forms of verbal Japanese rules, the Japanese 1989 Rules and WAGC Rules. The EGF has used WAGC Rules for some time (I do not know about the early EGF years), IIRC from 1997 to 2007 the Japanese 1989 Rules, from 2007 Verbal European-Japanese Rules. Where WAGC Rules were used, it must have been the 1980 version because hardly anybody had (and has) a copy of the 1979 version.

Quote:
Secondly, I am pretty sure your commentaries have been read by very few players. Only a handful have ever read a commentary at all.

I know that they have been read by quite a few (hundreds for sure) players, although not everybody would have read every text.

Post subject: Re: Use of Japanese rules
Post #2 Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:17 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 4
RobertJasiek wrote:
Quote:
As far as I know, they have been used ever since the English translation was published as THE written ruled of Go in Europe

Wrong. Different European countries have used different Japanese (or other) rulesets. This includes different forms of verbal Japanese rules, the Japanese 1989 Rules and WAGC Rules. The EGF has used WAGC Rules for some time (I do not know about the early EGF years), IIRC from 1997 to 2007 the Japanese 1989 Rules, from 2007 Verbal European-Japanese Rules. Where WAGC Rules were used, it must have been the 1980 version because hardly anybody had (and has) a copy of the 1979 version.

Thanks, I stand corrected. Through I am pretty sure most people would look into J89 for reference during the verbal stage, making the J89 last about 18 years, but I admit verbal rules are by definition unwritten and may or may not yield the same result as J89. (Is this really the best way to go in the 21st century? Unwritten rules? Has someone gone mad?). And the Chinese rules are coming thanks to CEGO cca. 2014 onwards.

RobertJasiek wrote:
I know that they have been read by quite a few (hundreds for sure) players, although not everybody would have read every text.

Yes, they have had a certain impact, which I have no reliable way to measure, but the internet as a whole has had an astronomically bigger impact, especially when you consider that your commentaries have the impact they have thanks to being online, along with an enormous amount of other material.

Post #3 Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:21 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 4
...and when I say the last revision of Japanese rules, I mean the Japanese rules, not Japanese-style rules. So J89 is the last revision.

Post #4 Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:29 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
tiger314 wrote:
the internet as a whole has had an astronomically bigger impact

Not in this case, because I participated in a great percentage of related discussions, web contents etc., my commentaries profited also from them and have been frequently linked in the discussions. See it as a combination of the commentaries and the internet giving easy access to them.