It is currently Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fair komi without ties
Post #1 Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:17 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 66
Was liked: 14
GD Posts: 10
The komi value that achieves winning ratios by Black and White that are as close to each other as possible can be either an integer or a half integer.

In 9x9 it seems the right value (with area scoring at least) is 7. Computer tournaments use that value because 7.5 turns out to be a bit too much.

Of course, with an integer komi, ties are possible. So I was wondering if using a simple tie-breaker like first passer wins ties or Button Go would keep win ratios basically the same or if one of the colors would be inherently favored.

Post subject: Re: Fair komi without ties
Post #2 Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:36 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 181
Was liked: 993
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
I once wrote this proposed solution: http://senseis.xmp.net/?ResolvingJigoByKoThreats

Post #3 Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:16 pm 
Lives with ko

HermanHiddema wrote:
I once wrote this proposed solution: http://senseis.xmp.net/?ResolvingJigoByKoThreats

Very nice!

EDIT: An inconvenient of both rules is that they force players to capture dead groups, I think. A player who lost the pass fight can force game resumption by disagreeing on the status of their dead groups so that their opponent is forced to capture them and pass last (or not pass first).

Quote:
Theoretically, the perfect komi is an integer, and any fractional value is not 100% fair.

That's true, but it's perfectly possible that a fractional value works best in practice. The score difference in a game played perfectly needn't correspond to the komi value that brings the most statistical balance in games played imperfectly.

Post #4 Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:14 am 
Lives with ko

luigi wrote:
EDIT: An inconvenient of both rules is that they force players to capture dead groups, I think. A player who lost the pass fight can force game resumption by disagreeing on the status of their dead groups so that their opponent is forced to capture them and pass last (or not pass first).

Of course, this can be solved by cancelling only the last pass in the event of a resumption. This means that whoever passed last plays first after a resumption.

Button Go achieves something similar as taking the button doesn't count as a pass and is therefore not cancelled in the event of a resumption.

Post #5 Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:02 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 24
Was liked: 94
I actually prefer "One player chooses (half-integer) Komi, the other one chooses sides." the most