Post subject: dispute resumption rules and ko
Post #1 Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:55 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
KGS: dmwit
DGS: dmwit
OGS: dmwit
Are there any rulesets which distinguish between a declaration that the game is over and a move which places no stones (that is, has two different kinds of pass)? It seems like this would solve a lot of weird game resumption rules, since we can allow the second "game-is-over pass" player to resume without worrying that the first player only passed to avoid an illegal ko move. (The canonical way to avoid an illegal ko move is to make a "placing-no-stones pass"; the two players can alternate playing this kind of move as long as they want without ending the game.)

Post subject: Re: dispute resumption rules and ko
Post #2 Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:14 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
:scratch: I'm confused. Could you perhaps restate the question?

Post #3 Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:24 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
:scratch: I'm confused. Could you perhaps restate the question?

With an example board would help too.

Post #4 Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:25 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
I think he's talking about how passing twice ends the game. He is thinking about passing instead of finding a ko threat but he fears that the other player would also pass and end the game. Thus he wants to know how to resume the game in case both players pass during a ko fight.

Post #5 Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:42 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
tchan001 wrote:
I think he's talking about how passing twice ends the game. He is thinking about passing instead of finding a ko threat but he fears that the other player would also pass and end the game. Thus he wants to know how to resume the game in case both players pass during a ko fight.

That's my guess, too. Ending play by two passes can allow final positions that are similar to Moonshine Life, with an unfinished ko that one player would like to take. AGA Rules and Tromp-Taylor Rules allow such final positions. Ing Rules, Japanese Rules, Korean Rules, Chinese Rules, and Spight Rules do not, all in different ways.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #6 Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:47 pm 
Beginner

Was liked: 0
KGS: dmwit
DGS: dmwit
OGS: dmwit
Sometimes, after a game ends, the two players can't agree on which stones are dead or alive. Many rulesets have some allowances for the game to resume to help resolve such disputes. There's a couple of choices to make when writing such rules; for example: who plays first? may the first player retake a ko, if one is on the board? etc.

It seems like these questions might be easier to answer if we distinguish two different kinds of "pass" move. One is a move which definitely will not end the game, but which transfers play back to the other player; in particular, you can use this move if there is nothing useful for you to do on the board other than retake a ko, but you are not (yet) allowed to retake the ko. The other move is a declaration that you think the game is over; two of these in a row end the game (as two of any pass do in many rulesets). Of course this still gives the other player a chance to announce that they think the game is unfinished (by playing a stone).

I suppose I really have a few questions, like: are there any current rulesets that make this distinction (or one like it)? is my assertion that such a distinction would be useful actually true? are there any obvious problems with making such a distinction?

Post #7 Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:33 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 153
GD Posts: 100
KGS: Tryss
Just use 3 pass to end the game, and you don't need to do a specific distinction.

Post #8 Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:00 pm 
Honinbo

dmwit wrote:
Sometimes, after a game ends, the two players can't agree on which stones are dead or alive. Many rulesets have some allowances for the game to resume to help resolve such disputes. There's a couple of choices to make when writing such rules; for example: who plays first? may the first player retake a ko, if one is on the board? etc.

It seems like these questions might be easier to answer if we distinguish two different kinds of "pass" move. One is a move which definitely will not end the game, but which transfers play back to the other player; in particular, you can use this move if there is nothing useful for you to do on the board other than retake a ko, but you are not (yet) allowed to retake the ko. The other move is a declaration that you think the game is over; two of these in a row end the game (as two of any pass do in many rulesets). Of course this still gives the other player a chance to announce that they think the game is unfinished (by playing a stone).

I suppose I really have a few questions, like: are there any current rulesets that make this distinction (or one like it)? is my assertion that such a distinction would be useful actually true? are there any obvious problems with making such a distinction?

Pass is a modern concept in go. Traditionally, games did not end with a succession of passes. Ing was the first, I believe, to designate pass as a move. Under Ing rules it takes four passes to end play, and that takes care of the problem of unfinished kos or superkos. Earlier, in one of the first sets of written rules, Yasunaga had the game end after three of what today we would call passes. That allows the first passer to take a ko if the opponent then passes.

Let me add that when I learned go we did not have passes. Games ended by agreement. We did not have any problems with that, but in the history of go problems occasionally arose.

Visualize whirled peas.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: xed_over

Post #9 Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:16 am 
Judan

Was liked: 786
Bill Spight wrote:
Ing was the first, I believe, to designate pass as a move.

Robinson / Olmsted might have been the first, some five decades earlier.

Post #10 Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:53 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 8
Bill Spight wrote:
Let me add that when I learned go we did not have passes. Games ended by agreement. We did not have any problems with that, but in the history of go problems occasionally arose.
With fair play in the spirit of the game, players need little formalization. But it's not always like that. In the mindsports arena Go is introduced thus:
Quote:
Go is arguably the quintessential territory game. However, even Occam's Razor cannot prevent the ambiguities arising from cycles, "ko" being the most basic one. Go's rules appear simple and concise, but the devil is in the details. Yet Go, as a concept, has an almost universal appeal, and there is a broad concensus about all but the most eccentric positions.
As a result we received some guestbook entries stating in various degrees of eloquence that our stupidity could hardly be overestimated :lol: .

Post #11 Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:55 am 
Judan

Quote:
the ambiguities arising from cycles

Which ambiguities? Since my general definition, none remains.
http://home.snafu.de/jasiek/ko.pdf
On the rules level, avoiding ambiguity can be even simpler, using, e.g., positional superko. In terms of strategy, it is more appropriate to speak of "complexity".

Post #12 Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:01 am 
Honinbo

RobertJasiek wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:
Ing was the first, I believe, to designate pass as a move.

Robinson / Olmsted might have been the first, some five decades earlier.

Thanks. :) I have not seen their writing.

I just did web search, and found a couple of interesting things. Thorp and Walden ("A Computer Assisted Study of Go on MxN Boards", 1972) have pass as a move. They base their rules on Robinson and Olmstead ("A Treatise on the Rules of Go", 1964). That's a decade before Ing. Ing's four pass rule can be traced back to Shimada ("The Mathematical Theory of Go", 1958). OC, Shimada does not consider a pass to be a play.

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #13 Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:41 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 8
RobertJasiek wrote:
On the rules level, avoiding ambiguity can be even simpler, using, e.g., positional superko. In terms of strategy, it is more appropriate to speak of "complexity".
You got it :salute: .
the arena

Post #14 Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:03 am 
Judan

Bill Spight wrote:
I have not seen their writing.

Ask Terry for "Rationalization of Go" and "Structure of Go".
The latter is a refinement of the former.

Post #15 Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:49 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 391
Was liked: 162
Bill Spight wrote:
Under Ing rules it takes four passes to end play, and that takes care of the problem of unfinished kos or superkos.

This is a bit misleading. Yes, there are four passes, but they do not have the same meaning. First, there are two consecutive passes that put the game into "removal mode" (my wording). Then, after all removals are done, the players use passes again to put the game into "scoring mode", in which no further removals are allowed.

(The inaccurate communication of "four passes" has led to one incident where, in a certain tournament that was announced as using Ing rules, a certain player removed all dead stones during play, then his opponent passed, then he passed, then his opponent passed (which was a mistake), then he passed.)

So, the first two passes mean "I have no worthwhile moves", while the second two passes mean "There are no dead stones left, we can score now."

This is in a way an answer to the original question.

In my personal opinion, no amount of consecutive passes should have automatic consequences on the game state.

Post #16 Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:03 am 
Judan

Harleqin wrote:
the first two passes mean "I have no worthwhile moves", while the second two passes mean "There are no dead stones left, we can score now."

This is over-simplification. In particular, passes can serve as ko threats. Therefore the third successive pass can also have a meaning other than "There are no dead stones left, we can score now.".