2. two rounds more in Amsterdam
3. A final two rounds in Vienna

a lot of travel :)

Post subject: Re: CEGO Qualification
Post #2 Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:48 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
So the line up for the 3 stage tournament is effectively published.

Playing: Pavol Lisy, Cristian Pop, Cornel Burzo, Csaba Mero, Thomas Debarre, Mateusz Surma, Jan Simara, Ali Jabarin, Andrii Kravets, Frederik Blombach, Jan Hora, Lukas Podpera, Timur Sankin, Viktor Lin, Dusan Mitic, Benjamin Teuber

Refused: Ilya Shikshin, Dragos Bajenaru, Antti Tormänen, Ion Florescu, Pal Balogh, Dmitrij Surin, Zhao Pei, Merlijn Kuin

People over 40 were not allowed to play.

I have to say the absence of some of the big guns of European Go takes something of the shine off the event. It does increase the posibility of having a surprise winner. It is amusing to note that Benjamin Teuber wouldn't have qualified ordinarily, since his rating is to low. Somebody dropped out of the China training sessions though, and since he had the 'good fortune' to be given a last minute replacement spot to the training event, were he came second, he qualified. Perhaps he can again come second in this tournament.

Post #3 Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:36 am 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
When you say refused do you mean they refused to enter or they were refused entry? I assume the former.

Last edited by DrStraw on Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #4 Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:39 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
DrStraw wrote:
When you say refused do you mean they refused to enter or they were refused entry?

I assume it's refused entry. For one, Antti is in Japan training as an insei, so I'm sure he refused entry, not was refused entry.

Post #5 Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:06 am 
Gosei

Refused meant that they were invited to play, but they refused (or declined) the invitation.

Post #6 Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:24 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Javaness2 wrote:
Benjamin Teuber ... Perhaps he can again come second in this tournament.

He has a lot of practice in the German championship :D

Post #7 Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:51 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 36
Some details: http://www.eurogofed.org/proqualification/
It doesn't say those players refused to enter, but rather they did not reply yet. They still might chose to join. Or has the deadline passed?
Are you quoting from a different source Javaness?

Post #8 Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:40 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
So it is not the strongest Europeans that can become European Professionals, but it is those not being discriminated, e.g., by

- the age limit 40
- the invitation conditions
- the requirement to be a citizen of an EGF member country (instead of a European country)
- the requirement to be a citizen of an EGF member country for at least 10 years (this in addition to possess a passport of such a country)
- the prohibition to be a professional of another professional go organisation
- precedence for paid work only for European Professionals
etc.

Each of these discrimination conditions is extraordinarily unfortunate and, IMO, causes harm to European Go development, compare §11 of the EGF Professional Go System Constitution, because part of the strong European players, teachers etc. are excluded simply by discriminating definitions and because the unity of strong European players is split artificially into those that may versus may not try to qualify.

http://www.eurogofed.org/proqualificati ... -04-09.pdf

http://www.eurogofed.org/proqualificati ... nament.pdf

90 minutes basic time is short, but maybe it is just at the border where blunders play versus do not play a significant role. With 120 minutes, it would be on the safe side; blunders would be infrequent. The still unspecified byoyomi is of great important WRT blunders. Will the qualifications be a lottery of who makes fewer blunders or will the byoyomi be long enough to see meaningful games?

This post by RobertJasiek was liked by: deja

Post #9 Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:38 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
Robert, which countries are European but are not in the EGF? I'm curious, you're closer to the EGF than I am so probably know the answer.

Re: age limit has been always in place in Japan. I think there are none in China or Korea, but I don't think it's "that bad." I'm also unlikely to win a Fields medal.

Re: 10 years being a citizen is probably a little long, but this evens out the game among countries. Getting a passport is not equally easy in Spain, Iceland or Sweden.

Re: Other professionals. What's the problem here? I totally understand this limitation, and it makes a lot of sense.

Re: Precedence for paid work. What does this mean?

Post #10 Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:16 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 683
Was liked: 138
Universal go server handle: Splatted
I have to agree with Robert about the age limit. It's completely arbitrary and serves no purpose.

This post by Splatted was liked by: deja

Post #11 Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:19 am 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
Quote:
- the requirement to be a citizen of an EGF member country (instead of a European country)
- the requirement to be a citizen of an EGF member country for at least 10 years (this in addition to possess a passport of such a country)

Doesn't the second include the first? And a citizen can always get a password, I assume, so why that requirement?

Post #12 Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:37 am 
Gosei

If we take the example of a Greek or Estonian player, who is say 6dan, they still cannot enter the European Professional Qualifiers, because their country is not a full member of the EGF. Potentially, that is a problem. One would expect that an exception should be made in such cases.
Paid Work; Section 7, Parts (2) and (4) are probably pretty upsetting if you are European, and already a professional. Remember that most of the international events spots usually had to be won through competition. There are, I think, 7 professional players who are European by nationality. I certainly do not claim to know their consolidated or individual viewpoints on the issue.
For the age limit, whilst it makes sense for training, I don't completely feel it makes sense for the pro qualifiers. If you are 50 and able to beat the kids, the why shouldn't you qualify as a professional? Tend to agree with Robert there.

Actually though, what mosts interests me is this sentence: "The exact way how EGF Professional Committee is established, its rights and duties, are a subject of a special document." - where is this document, and who is on this committee?!

Post #13 Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:42 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
EGF countries: http://www.eurogofed.org/members/

Souvereign states (there are further other countries) that are geographically in Europe but not EGF members: Iceland, Estonia, Moldova, Greece, Albania, Macedonia, Kozovo, Montenegro, Liechtenstein, San Marino, Vatikan City, Malta, Monaco, Andorra, Georgia.

Souvergeign states that are EGF members but not geograhically in Europe: Cyprus (but half of it is in the EU), Israel.

Problems related to other professional titles: a) Europeans having such other titles are forced to resign their earlier achievements and gamble to qualify as European Professional. Resigning from an existing title can have financial drawbacks up to risking maintenance of one's go job. b) There is no significant harm if a (European) person has a European and a non-European professional title. Therefore, the harm of (a) is created even without good reason from the view of entities other than the directly affected persons.

Precedence for paid work: I guess it means that European professionals are asked first when there is some teaching, publishing, writing, entertaining etc. to be done. Only after every European professional is asked, other go teachers, publishers, writers etc. would be asked at all, if ever. So the other persons are not supported, while the European professionals are supported. Status replaces quality, achievements of earlier work and related experience. E.g., what would you get if a European professional shall write, say, a history of European go from 2000-2010? I would rather ask an expert such as Pratesi; the EGF would ask a European professional, because the EGF wants to support him regardless of the quality to be produced; well, that is what the constitution suggests.

Post #14 Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:59 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 31
KGS: 2d
Splatted wrote:
I have to agree with Robert about the age limit. It's completely arbitrary and serves no purpose.

+1

Post #15 Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:51 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
If we start from the standpoint that the aim is to produce players who will benefit European go, then most of the conditions make some sort of sense. You want somebody young enough to be around long enough to deliver on the investment. You want a guy whose roots are firmly in Europe so that he doesn't up sticks and leave that fair continent. You want someone who belongs to a country that supports the EGF because it's the EGF that is both the most supportive environment and also can benefit most from professional input.

I don't know whether that was the thinking, but it does seem much more likely than a simple plan to find the best player and cart him off the Orient.

But if that sort of thinking was behind it, it is absurd to call it discrimination. Nevertheless, the end result (in any circumstances) is much more likely to be a teaching pro rather than a tournament pro, and so Robert's point that teachers are excluded has some weight.

The real problem as I see it in that putative scenario is the continued wilfulness of the would-be pros and/or their backers not to engage with the wider base of people it is supposedly designed to help eventually. Of course we all know management and democracy don't mix very well, but this is not about managing a project to make a profit or a controversial change. It's about delivering benefits to the masses. A bit of consultation about which flavour lollipops we get would not go amiss. After all, we may not like lollipops at all.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by: Mef

Post #16 Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:09 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
Splatted wrote:

Same here.
There are not that many strong players in Europe. Why lower the available count (and possibly skill) even more?

Post #17 Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:27 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
John Fairbairn wrote:
If we start from the standpoint that the aim is to produce players who will benefit European go, then most of the conditions make some sort of sense. You want somebody young enough to be around long enough to deliver on the investment. You want a guy whose roots are firmly in Europe so that he doesn't up sticks and leave that fair continent. You want someone who belongs to a country that supports the EGF because it's the EGF that is both the most supportive environment and also can benefit most from professional input.

I don't know whether that was the thinking, but it does seem much more likely than a simple plan to find the best player and cart him off the Orient.

But if that sort of thinking was behind it, it is absurd to call it discrimination. Nevertheless, the end result (in any circumstances) is much more likely to be a teaching pro rather than a tournament pro, and so Robert's point that teachers are excluded has some weight.

The real problem as I see it in that putative scenario is the continued wilfulness of the would-be pros and/or their backers not to engage with the wider base of people it is supposedly designed to help eventually. Of course we all know management and democracy don't mix very well, but this is not about managing a project to make a profit or a controversial change. It's about delivering benefits to the masses. A bit of consultation about which flavour lollipops we get would not go amiss. After all, we may not like lollipops at all.

Good points. I have to admit I did not really followed this issue, so having tons of questions...

For example - what is the purpose of such EuroPro organization?
If it is, as you say, to generate mostly-teaching pros, then why limit yourself by possibly excluding some very good teachers? If the objective is to gather the very strong into a tight and coherent organization, then why limit yourself by excluding some of the strongest players by age and/or other affiliations? Does not make sense to me.

I guess the main issue here is - what *is* an EuroPro other than a title? I have asked this question before, but never got any answer. I am away from European scene so possibly I have missed something, but anybody knows?

Anyways - if the purpose is to have "somebody young enough to be around long enough to deliver on the investment" - then how will it work, in practice? Is the EuroPro title for life? And what benefits is the organization providing for all those youngsters to prevent them from eventually quitting Go in order to work and earn and support their families?

Also, I don't understand the point about "precedence for paid work only for European Professionals". What does it mean? Organizers will be forbidden to allow non-EuroPro teachers teach at their events? Or give simuls, or whatever? The EGF will no longer support any efforts to teach or publish from anybody else but EuroPro people? What if those EuroPro players are not interested in teaching or publishing? And how will it be enforced? The organizers who allow Robert's teaching, for example, will not get any EGF help?

This whole thing looks really bizzare to me, and sort-of desperate, like somebody tries to push a concept without really understanding it.
Anybody knows where most of the ideas come from and what are the underlying reasons?

I mean - somebody must know. Who is behind this EuroPro thing?
I have lots of other questions, but all the above is puzzling me the most.

Post #18 Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:47 pm 
Gosei

I suppose clearer information will emerge from the EGF in the next few months. Right now, there are still some points I am unclear on.

By the way, I bet on Pavol Lisy taking the first place.

This post by Javaness2 was liked by: RBerenguel

Post #19 Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:32 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 0
Cheering for Pavol Lisy :D his story http://www.eurogofed.org/proqualification/ sounds really inspiring too.
One of my other favorites would be Andrii, mostly because of what I read on Benjamin Teuber's blog.

Post #20 Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:22 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Someone has done quite the infodump on senseis: http://senseis.xmp.net/?1stEuropeanProQualification2014.

This post by hyperpape was liked by: DrStraw