It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: SamT's Study Journal - A Beginner's Journey
Post #201 Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:27 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
On the problem of time management: quit blogging.
On rank: it WILL evolve as you improve. You don't improve by worrying about rank.

Post #202 Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:39 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 59
Was liked: 12
OGS: nemoutis
Online playing schedule: Mostly correspondence games.
EdLee, Often, Knotwilg:

Fair enough.

Over the past week I have barely trained at all, which I originally blamed on Christmas/New Years. I had been doing (too many) problems a day, split between Guo Juan and the Yunguseng site, but I think I'm burned out.

Since my training is slowing down and my focus on rank is unhelpful and misplaced, I think I'll just stop most of my Go work for a while, inlcuding most of my posting too. I'll do the Yunguseng stuff for the current season, focusing on having fun again, which would be nice, and I'll see how my motivation is after that.

Post #203 Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:35 pm 
Lives with ko

I stopped by Dallas Go Club and had a few games a few weeks back.

The first time I have played go in a year, almost exactly.

I almost died in October of last year; a hole in my cranium had let non-sterile air next to my brain. I survived, and, quite luckily, I did not get meningitis or any measurable brain damage. However, my body is /still/ ruined from the forced bed rest, and my spirit is crumpled at the edges. I do not feel like my old self. That's okay, though. It's good to be alive.

When I played the first game, I could remember the general shape of the Mini Chinese, but I could not remember even the most basic corner joseki. This did not surprise me, as I had only invested 9 months of actual work in the game, and I had taken a year off. Honestly, I was happy to remember as much as I did.

I approached a 4-4, got pincered, jumped into 3-3, and my mind went completely blank. I ended up losing the whole corner. Most of my reading seems to be gone, too, and will have to be rebuilt. It's just a hazy mess. The one thing I did seem to maintain was my game sense, and my ability to feel (if not actually count) where the big moves were. I managed to turn the game around by building a huge moyo one one-point jump at a time, and my opponent resigned. I wish I had recorded it, but if I had added that amount of work to my night I would not have played at all.

I played and lost a few more. In these games, I started out well, but would lose track of critical moves and get cut off and not realize for another fifteen moves. Often I would see something I recognized, but simply couldn't remember the way to save the group.

I have since played a few games on OGS under the name nemoutis, just a handful of fast ones to have fun, and I did have fun. A sample game:

However, after these games my heart would not stop hammering uncomfortably. Just the thought of logging into KGS does the same. It shouldn't. I know this. It's not logical. I seem to have some sort of extreme anxiety tied to the game that I do not experience anywhere else in my life. If I didn't like the game so much, I would just walk away and probably be better off for it. It is, perhaps, tied to how I got into go -- as an escape from the grisly work of recovering from the house fire. That's just a guess, though. Whatever it is, I will have to overcome it to play more of the game.

Since it was so detrimental to me in the past, I have actively avoided even thinking about my rank. I am just studying and playing. Mostly studying, as that does not cause the strange panic attacks. I am on Guo Juan's site, trying to fill all the huge gaps in my skill set and recover some of the stuff I used to know cold, like the basics of the Mini Chinese, the Choi Cheolhan Fuseki, and one of the Avalanche variations.

Most of my training is Anki flashcards as opposed to her training system. When I have her training system in front of me, I start guessing instead of reading. Flashcards don't let me do this. The downside is that most of my "Go Study Time" is me making flashcards painstakingly by hand as I step through a video; I currently get only a handful an hour complete, as most of them have many variations to memorize.

I have tried making cards from the downloadable SGFs of the classes, but she often puts stray moves at the beginning of a lecture, and Drago does not let me remove them. This is likely just me not knowing enough about the technology I am using; I bet someone here knows a good work around. If she had downloadable SGFs of the problems, now that would make this so much easier! But I understand why she doesn't do that.

I also bought Go Game Guru's AMAZING book, "Relentless." I wish I could download it directly into my skull. It takes me about 15 minutes to put together a good flashcard from that book. 4 an hour. SOOOO slow. I am still in the first game and will stay there for probably 2 years at this rate.

I was attracted to Go because of its infinity, but now the infinity is intimidating me. So much to learn! And too many flashcards to make!

One interesting note: It took me almost no time to memorize the first 50 moves of game 1 in Relentless. My brain seems to have built at least some sort of grammar circuits for moves now, even if they are only on the level of, "Jack runs down the street. Run, Jack, run." Pro games are fun stories now, not incomprehensible gibberish.

Attachments:
File comment: A sample OGS game
5923239-035-Luchi-nemoutis.sgf [411 Bytes]
Downloaded 636 times

Last edited by SamT on Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #204 Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:53 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 319
Was liked: 287
Universal go server handle: jeromie
I'm glad you're finding a way to enjoy the game of Go. Best of luck with your continued recovery and never ending journey in the game!

This post by jeromie was liked by: SamT

Post subject:
Post #205 Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:19 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Hi Sam,

Welcome back !!
Very briefly:

:b9: , :b11: -- certain basic shapes knowledge still intact. :)

:b13: C3 ( or somewhere in lower left corner bigger ).

:w14: Ditto.

:b15: Big; relationship with J17 stone... maybe consider o16 ?

:w16: , :b17: After :w16: , C3 very big.

:b23: , :b25: Certain basic shapes knowledge still intact. :) Toothpaste.

:b31: J6.

:w32: H9. No atari.

This post by EdLee was liked by: SamT

Post #206 Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:29 pm 
Lives with ko

Thank you, Ed. Great feedback, as always. I especially appreciate the solid mix of positive comments and corrections.

You're right about his 3-3 point; I should have hit it much earlier. I had intended to invade after reducing (see variations), but that would have given him a chance to solidify his territory, if he wasn't playing so slow.

In regards to avoiding the empty triangle on move 31: I thought about this quite a bit (for as long as I could, considering the 6-second per move time limit). I didn't make the empty triangle lightly. I felt like the good-shape hane would make his lower side group much stronger, and I felt like I had good reductions and maybe even some attacking options if I didn't touch it.

I also thought that with the empty triangle, if he made the "slanted bamboo joint" (my term) with 32, my extension G7 would be sente and allow me to jump into the 3-3, taking most of his points away. He would then have to choose which way to build and which way to leave weak.

I've reuploaded with what I read during the game (which was a pipe dream) and some variations I came up with just a few seconds ago (since it is past midnight here, the thinking may be questionable).

Attachments:
File comment: game with variations
5923239-035-Luchi-nemoutis.sgf [1006 Bytes]
Downloaded 651 times

Post #207 Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:11 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 94
Was liked: 53
GD Posts: 54
Hello :) Perhaps some of the comments I've included in the game will help you. Good luck!

(commentary starting at move 35)

Attachments:
Untitled.sgf [2.7 KiB]
Downloaded 617 times

Visit >>>Koosh's Study Journal<<<

Post #208 Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:41 am 
Lives with ko

Thanks, Koosh. Some really interesting ideas in there I hadn't thought about!

Your last comment confused me, though: that I could extend my territory with D7, but it would be better to invade.

I'm playing black (nemoutis); perhaps you thought I was white? I was seriously considering jumping to D7 as an invasion/reduction to cut the white stones in the middle. If white has a lackluster response defending his corner, I had considered perhaps following with 3-3, as his moyo is already destroyed. He does have some good invasions in my territory, but it still felt very comfortable at this point. It felt like if he did too many crazy invasions once he was isolated, I could just cut them off and he would end up with weak groups struggling to live all over the board, and I could lean on them to solidify territory. At that point it's my game to lose.

I was very surprised when my opponent timed out, but we were at 6 seconds a move, so I guess he had too much to think about.

Post #209 Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:29 pm 
Lives with ko

Well, shucks! You're right. I had thought you were W :scratch: Still getting used to the board again.

Overall, at the end of the commentary I posted, I liked B's position much more than W's position. It would have been tough for W to come back - especially if you can apply the rules of priority that are left as a comment on move 41 :)

It's hard to comment since you are talking about when the game ended on time and I am talking about the commentary I provided here, but for me, it seems like playing 3-3 at the end of my commentary is better than D7. If you finish the sequence with sente, then you can play up top again. That would make it very difficult for him.

Once W has F10, it's very hard to attack these W stones.

This post by Koosh was liked by: SamT

Post #210 Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:59 pm 
Lives with ko

Great ideas, man :) thanks for the advice, you are probably right. Not sure what I would have done in the actual game with just 6 seconds to spare. It was a toss up for me at the time, leaning toward 3-3. 3-3 had been my original plan.

I knew 3-3 would take away a lot of territory, and I was afraid the invasion on the side would either get cut or he would just live in my moyo easily... which would mean the invasion was an overplay... but that doesn't mean I would have picked the better move.

Logically, I know that attacking is not always the best option, and I also know (from sad experience) that attacking can go sideways fast and hurt you more than help you. But I love to attack. I love dragon hunting. My fondest memories are of games where I captured a huge dragon or sealed off so much territory it was ridiculous (but there are many failures as well, many that lost me the game).

One of my weaknesses is that I do not know when to stop attacking. I am too persistent and unreasonable about it and should just cash in on my small victories. I know all this, and I'm working on it, but...

6 seconds isn't a lot of time to talk yourself out of doing something crazy.

Post #211 Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:30 pm 
Lives with ko

Dragon Hunting is great. You'll get plenty of that if you follow that priority rule. Your opponents will feel pressure from your good moves and start invading everywhere. That's when you load up the ol'dragon arrows. :mrgreen:

The whole "profit while attacking" concept can be a little tough to perfect. Wish I knew it well, for starters. The basic principle there is to choose an attack that surrounds on the outside rather than throwing a dagger to the inside (until you have no choice but to do otherwise). If the group escapes, it is no longer weak, and if you attack from the outside a couple of times, you often build a moyo.

This post by Koosh was liked by 2 people: SamT, sparky314

Post #212 Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:04 pm 
Lives with ko

Simple when you say it, harder to do, right? ;) I will definitely memorize the priority rules. I've been looking for a sort of checklist to go through every turn, to build better habits, and it seems to be a good framework for a start.

Post #213 Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:09 pm 
Lives with ko

jeromie wrote:
I'm glad you're finding a way to enjoy the game of Go. Best of luck with your continued recovery and never ending journey in the game!

thanks, jeromie! :)

Post #214 Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:57 pm 
Lives with ko

I've been playing a little against Crazy Stone 2013 (which isn't very strong, I hear, but plenty strong to beat me).

I'm not sure what specifically I could do better, beyond magically becoming better at reading and shape. Kind of frustrated.

Here's a game.

Attachments:
File comment: SamT vs Crazystone
12-08-16 Crazystone 1.sgf [1.95 KiB]
Downloaded 574 times

Post subject:
Post #215 Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:41 pm 
Honinbo

Hi Sam,

:b23: How do you feel about this move ?
Quote:
I'm not sure what specifically I could do better... Kind of frustrated.
At :w22:, let's do a quick inventory of the global situation.

Here are some questions.
( I could be wrong ; these are only my observations and feelings. )

What do you think of your top left C17 group ?
It's OK, for now. It has a base, and it can still get out if necessary.
What about W's top left stones ?
Its shape could use some help, but it's OK for now.

For each of B & W's top left groups, what are some interesting local moves ?
C18 is a big local shared vital point.
If B gets C18 first, B is practically alive, while B threatens to remove W's base.
If W gets C18 first, W starts to make a base, and threatens to remove B's eye space.

On the outside, W can improve its shape with F16 or F15, etc.
Conversely, if W doesn't fix its shape, B has moves like F17 clamp, F16 peep, F15 peep, etc.

How do you feel about W's K17 and o17 stones ?
If W adds a move, like M16, then this group is settled.
As it stands, this 3-space extension is a little thin ;
however, W can treat these 2 stones lightly.

Conversely, M17 is a vital point for B.

How do you feel about B's top right group ?
R14 is low, so this group is more cash-oriented.

If the extension is high (Q14), then it has more power toward the center,
and M17 becomes more severe as a vital point vs. W.

How do you feel about your lower left group ?
The knight's F4 has pros and cons.
The downside includes some weakness.
Examples: E3 through H3 are weak points for B.

How do you feel about W's lower left group ?
W's 3-space extension makes a nice shape for W.
This group is settled, for now.

Post subject:
Post #216 Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:28 pm 
Honinbo

Continuing at :w22: :

Other than B & W's groups, which big moves do you see ?
And how do you feel about them ?
R6 direction and o3 direction are the obvious big directions,
since the bottom and the right side are the widest open areas.

Since R14 is low and F4 is high (with weakness, re: previous post),
I think o3 direction is more interesting than R6 direction.
These are some of the things I consider at :w22: (re: previous post, & this post).
I'm curious how much your observations overlap with mine,
and maybe you notice some things not mentioned ?

Given this inventory, how do you feel about :b23: now ?
My feeling is :b23: is a bit slow. (I could be wrong)

Of course, it's not a game-over move, esp. not at these levels.

I'd consider tenuki -- example: o3 approach.

Post subject:
Post #217 Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:44 pm 
Honinbo

Hi Sam,

:w24: W hits a weak spot. Re: post 215.

:w32: W shows you the weakness(es) of the F4 knight's shape. Re: post 215.

:w36: And you are cut off.
There's still weakness in your corner: B3.

Post subject:
Post #218 Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:49 pm 
Honinbo

Quote:
I'm not sure what specifically I could do better... Kind of frustrated.
At :b37: , let's do an inventory of the board again.

Before :b23: and :b25: , how do you feel about W's lower left group ? ( Repeat question. )
Re: post 215. It has a nice extension, it has a base, but it's not alive (yet).

By :w36: , how do feel about your cash situation on the left ?
You gain a very small amount of cash on the left ( B9 area ).

By :w36:, how do you feel about W's lower left situation ?
In contrast to B, because W cut off your E4-F4 stones,
W is much stronger now -- if you choose to run your E4-F4 stones,
it starts a big fight, but maybe the B stones feel heavy.
( The fight seems good for W. )

By :w36:, how do you feel about your lower left corner ? (Repeat question.)
Re: post 217. Weakness at B3.

Post subject:
Post #219 Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:13 am 
Honinbo

In summary (dead horse),
let's compare and contrast the lower left situation,
before :b23: & :b25: , versus after :w36: :

Before :b23: & :b25::
  • W's group is OK ( not strong, not weak ) ;
  • B has weakness (e.g. E3 through H3), but manageable ;
  • B has sente to approach o3 first ( helping F4 from a distance ).
After :w36: :
  • B gains very few points B9 area ;
  • W much stronger ;
  • B lower left corner weakness (B3) -- if not careful, this corner could die ;
  • W's new strength actually indirectly helps with W's weakness on top, as any fight that breaks out on top may run into W's strength here.

Post subject:
Post #220 Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:39 am 
Honinbo

Hi Sam,

Most likely there are many more (tactical, reading) mistakes after :w36: .

But as an exercise in global inventory,
I'm curious if you can now see the difference of the whole board situation at :w22: , and at :w36: .

Can you now see that the net result of ( :b23: & :b25: ) by the time of :w36: is you gained very few points around B9 area. ( Ignoring that later you killed yourself there, and lost even the tiny gain. )

And the fact that at :w22: your eyeballs were drawn to :b23: and :b25: --
if you can understand this perception issue --
the left side is very small. This may change your game. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next