It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: PlaySlow
Post #181 Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:37 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 102
Was liked: 7
KGS: Wretched, Secil, PlaySlow
Tygem: PlaySlow
Wbaduk: Eksert
Only lost 1 game this week, the others are a bit too one sided. Questions and comments are inside the sgf. Especially got doubts about invading/reducing sanrensei with high extension.
Just a side note, I'm solving 30 minutes of tsumego daily, playing 4 slow games weekly and aim to finish Jump Level Up 3-4-5 till July 18th. Most possibly I'll go over the problems, which i couldn't solve at first sight in Tesuji and Jump Level Up 1-2-3-4-5 for one month.. As I understand it's better to repeat few books and try new concepts in games instead of reading many different books. I'll check all of the commented games of mine also :bow:

Attachments:
vs8kyu.sgf [5.81 KiB]
Downloaded 329 times

Post #182 Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:44 am 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
A few comments:

At :w30: you can also extend, despite the proverb, because white can make either of black's group's weak.

Similarly, at :w32, just connecting is solid and strong, instead of extending.

At :w48: things are still unfinished on the left. It's not clear that black has two eyes, and black could possibly use his strength to tear white's top in two and cause all sorts of problems.

For your question at :w50:, if you play the hane, invading after is somewhat unreasonable. Your B looks like a good reduction, but there's still the aji on the upper left. Before you panic about black's moyo, don't forget that a slide or invasion at R17 is still in the cards.

Your sequence starting at :w60: or so is creative, but you could omit the 3-3 point first. I might atari first at :w74: instead of later.

At :w84: did you think about the other atari? Not saying it's necessarily right, mind.

:w96: Not good. This is taking a vacation from the action, leading to the later loss of a lot of points on the top, and it leaves a lot of weakness locally that makes the center smaller than it looks.

This post by skydyr was liked by: PlaySlow

Post #183 Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:59 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
First of all, if you told me this was a 4k game, I would believe it. Not that I can pinpoint ranks by play but it's not a bad game at all for the ranks you're playing in.

Opening

22 - first opening mistake (at our level): don't play close to solid stones. The difference can be subtle; if your stone would be backed up by another one, it would be a good checking move

Middle game - left side & right side

46 - you got out rather easily and make central thickness too
48 - however, you don't use thickness to attack, rather build, which is not bad but invading would have been more active; also continuing on the left is thick and annoying for Black
54 - after allowing Black to reinforce his moyo twice, you invade. This is not consistent.

Middle game - centre

92 - skillful play (and lack thereof by Black) increases your influence considerably
110 - with this cut, the game is reversed. White leads
118, 124 - many small shape mistakes make the lead shrink. I believe you played less sharply because you thought you were winning.

Middle game - top

131 - finally, when Black invades the last open area and
134 - White fails to sacrifice one stone, Black makes a large inroads

Endgame

157 - both play some small endgame before Black closes off a big piece of territory that should never have existed in the first place. The game is over. In the endgame, White comes back but not enough to steal the win.

Overall I would say the sharpness of your moves is fluctuating. Sometimes you make very good shapes and choose the right directions, other times you play timid, inefficient shapes and continue playing in a less important area.

Full review:

This post by Knotwilg was liked by: PlaySlow

Post #184 Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:43 am 
Lives with ko

@skydyr & @knotwilg Thank you very much for the reviews! These weeks are really hectic at work, 4 managers are fired last week so my work has been doubled:(
I'm reading all of the comments and noting them down:)

Post subject:
Post #185 Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:01 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
PlaySlow wrote:
4 managers are fired last week
:-?

Post subject: Re:
Post #186 Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:05 pm 
Lives with ko

EdLee wrote:
PlaySlow wrote:
4 managers are fired last week
:-?

Eh in private sector detritus happens:)

Another game of mine; I have lost unexpectedly (at least for me). By the way i am keeping up with 30 minutes tsumego each day, 680/1001 L&D Problems with 81%. I am behind in finishing Jump Level Up goal though. I was supposed to finish JLU 3-4-5 till July 18th, but it seems i'd finish JLU 3 in this weekend.

Attachments:
wretched-bonamur.sgf [4.7 KiB]
Downloaded 295 times

Post #187 Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:41 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 16
I'm not really much (if at all) stronger than you are - but that just makes it interesting since you play wholly different from what I do. So - take everything I say with a big grain of salt.

From what I've understood the peaceful building of big frameworks up which occurs til move 15 favours black because he's one move ahead so he'll naturally get the *bigger* piece so to speak.

At move 20, the books play B because the R9 is an "armpit" hit and what happened in the game is precisely why it is bad (I think). He gets to hane at the head of two and then double-hane and force you to live locally while he gets a nice outside.

Move 68 I've seen C3 to take the corner clean since now there is some aji remaining. But E3 is most common according to waltheri (when trying to look up the pattern there).

At 78 you say you feel ahead - but I'd put black ahead as his territory is just as big if not a bit bigger and once he gets some of the big boundary plays you don't have enough.

Leading up to this your sequence 70-76 is basically dame and solidifiying his territory isn't it? His play at 89 is enormous in comparison since that's taking away your potential points. If you'd pushed the more valuable boundaries first then maybe you'd be ahead?

So once more - take everything with a big grain of salt or just ignore it altogether until someone stronger comes along and comments heh.

Also, Jump Level Up? I'm thinking of buying the series, since I've heard good things about it - how has your experience with it been? What I hope to get is a thorough compendium to ensure that I'm not overlooking basic things in my play - just reading the chapter indexes it looks like it helps with things like examples for when you can double hane, when wedging is appropriate etc. Is the difficulty level fine for you or hard / easy?

Post #188 Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:52 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 528
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
Majordomo wrote:
Also, Jump Level Up? I'm thinking of buying the series, since I've heard good things about it - how has your experience with it been? What I hope to get is a thorough compendium to ensure that I'm not overlooking basic things in my play - just reading the chapter indexes it looks like it helps with things like examples for when you can double hane, when wedging is appropriate etc. Is the difficulty level fine for you or hard / easy?

I just finished Jump Level Up and I liked it a lot. Like you say, it is a pretty extensive survey of techniques you need to get through SDK. It concentrates on life and death and tesuji much more than fuseki and middle-game strategy, which seems to be the Korean style of teaching. Because each chapter thoroughly explores one or two techniques with tons of examples, you really get the technique drilled into you rather than encountering it in a one-off way in an individual tsumego problem.

Possible downsides:
  • Written for children, so you have to be willing to endure or ignore humor meant for 8-year-olds.
  • Teaching is done almost purely through example, where sometimes more explanatory text and principles would be helpful.

At 4k, I breezed through the first volume and was thinking pretty hard by the end of the fifth (though everything was doable).

Post #189 Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:52 pm 
Lives with ko

dfan wrote:
Majordomo wrote:

I just finished Jump Level Up and I liked it a lot. Like you say, it is a pretty extensive survey of techniques you need to get through SDK. It concentrates on life and death and tesuji much more than fuseki and middle-game strategy, which seems to be the Korean style of teaching. Because each chapter thoroughly explores one or two techniques with tons of examples, you really get the technique drilled into you rather than encountering it in a one-off way in an individual tsumego problem.

Possible downsides:
  • Written for children, so you have to be willing to endure or ignore humor meant for 8-year-olds.
  • Teaching is done almost purely through example, where sometimes more explanatory text and principles would be helpful.

At 4k, I breezed through the first volume and was thinking pretty hard by the end of the fifth (though everything was doable).

I'm 7 kyu EGF, the first 2 books are too easy to be honest. 3rd book is a little harder, but if you give a careful look you can solve problems with %95+ accuracy. Didn't solve last 2 books yet. But the good thing is the books are pretty repetitive, so instead of 1 problem for 1 concept they give 6 to 12 problems for the same concept. So maybe it teaches the basic stuff better.
TLDR; If you have money you can buy all 5 + answer book, if you do not want to spend lots of money but JLU4 & 5 with answer book imo.

Post #190 Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:55 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
This halfpointer could (of course) be won at several stages in the endgame, such as 122 and 156.

Other than that, I've mostly added variations where you asked questions, which goes to show that your sense of positional judgment largely corresponds to mine.

This post by Knotwilg was liked by: PlaySlow

Post #191 Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:43 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
A couple of comments.

BTW, White won the game. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: PlaySlow

Post #192 Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:08 am 
Lives with ko

@Bill Spight lol, i feel worse now:)

Post #193 Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:07 am 
Lives with ko

A little update from my side. I am far behind in my programme right now. I'd have solved 30 min tsumego daily, finished JLU:3-4-5 and play 4 games/week between May 18-July 18. Well I have finished JLU 3 and I'm in %20 of JLU4 right now. I am behind in tsumego 281 minutes at the moment ( I haven't done any for ~9.5 day) and 14 games (If i play 14 games this week, it would be even:)).

We are having a vacation for 9 days now so I'd try to catch up without burning out hopefully. I'll try to post all lost games here hoping that you'd share a little of your wisdom with me :bow:

Post #194 Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:55 pm 
Lives with ko

A pure tactical question. Pure tactical question. If we ignore the rest of the board, is it possible to invade Black's right side territory? Or only possible thing is to play at 3-3 and reduce? Can you show me some sequences if it's possible?

Attachments:
Invade_.sgf [1.3 KiB]
Downloaded 314 times

Post subject:
Post #195 Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:32 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Hi Playslow,

Suppose ( at :b43: ) the right side was all B's territory:
that's about 70 points, for an efficiency of ~10 points/stone.
Compare it to B's two corners on the left,
where B has ~2 points/stone.
Do you think B has 500% efficiency on the right side ? :)

Post #196 Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:04 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Yes, there are many ways into black's right side formation. The 2 space jump is thin. If you compare it to the more common one space jump, which then leaves a 3 space gap to the middle hoshi stone then there is no longer a big gap and small gap with the invasion being easier in the big gap, but you have many medium sized gaps to choose from. Attach and crosscut or counter hane is a common way to break a 2 space jump. And if the 2 space jumps did secure the territory, don't you think strong players would play them more instead of the tighter one space jumps? I've marked a few places you could start operations in black's framework.

Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$ Position at move 44
$$ ---------------------------------------
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . X X O . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . X O . O . . . O . . . O X . M . . |
$$ | . . X O . . . . . , . . . O . X M . . |
$$ | . X O . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . O . . . . . . . . . . . . X M . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . M . . . |
$$ | . . . , . . . . . , . . . . . X M M . |
$$ | . . O . . . . . . . . . . . . M . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . X . . . . . . . O . . . . . M . . |
$$ | . O O . . . . . X . . . . . . . . M . |
$$ | . X O O O . . . X O . . . O . X . . . |
$$ | . X X X . X . X O O . . . O X . . . . |
$$ ---------------------------------------[/go]

And some example sequences:
[go]$$W a/b miai, W healthy
$$ | . . X O . O . . . O . . . O X . 2 a . |
$$ | . . X O . . . . . , . . . O . X 1 . . |
$$ | . X O . . . . . . . . . . . . b 3 . . |
$$ | . . O . . . . . . . . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . . , . . . . . , . . . . . X . . . |[/go]

[go]$$W a/b miai, W healthy, notice how marked stone 2 space jump is in a bad place compared to one space jump with respect to blocking at c after white a
$$ | . . X X O . . . . . . . . . b . . . . |
$$ | . . X O . O . . . O . . . O X . 3 . . |
$$ | . . X O . . . . . , . . . O . X 1 . . |
$$ | . X O . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2 a . |
$$ | . X O . . . . . . . . . . . . . . c . |
$$ | . . O . . . . . . . . . . . . B . . . |
$$ | . . . , . . . . . , . . . . . X . . . |[/go]

[go]$$W
$$ | . . X O . O . . . O . . . O X . . . . |
$$ | . . X O . . . . . , . . . O . X . . . |
$$ | . . O . . . . . . . . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3 2 . . |
$$ | . . . , . . . . . , . . . . . X 1 . . |
$$ | . . O . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . X . . . . . . . O . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . O O . . . . . X . . . . . . . . . . |

[go]$$W a simple example of thinness of 2 space jump (4 is probably not a good idea, and maybe 7 should atari first), cutting off corner.
$$ | . . X O . O . . . O . . . O X . . . . |
$$ | . . X O . . . . . , . . . O . X . . . |
$$ | . X O . . . . . . . . . . . . 7 5 . . |
$$ | . X O . . . . . . . . . . . . 3 4 . . |
$$ | . . O . . . . . . . . . . . . X 1 6 . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2 . . |
$$ | . . . , . . . . . , . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . O . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . X . . . . . . . O . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . O O . . . . . X . . . . . . . . . . |

This post by Uberdude was liked by: PlaySlow

Post #197 Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:09 am 
Lives with ko

@UBERDUDE many thanks for structured explanation! That's most helpful!
@Edlee, You are right but i generally die at these kind of invasions:/

Post #198 Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:43 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
PlaySlow wrote:
@Edlee, You are right but i generally die at these kind of invasions:/

Typically with these invasions, if successful, some of the invading stones die. If you lose all of your stones, it may be because you are trying to save all of them. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: PlaySlow

Post #199 Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:22 am 
Lives with ko

I have thought a lot before posting these 3 games to L19 since I feel I am stealing your time. I am in far worse shape that I was in 2 months ago.
3 Games, all lost.

Also I am solving Tsumego with less accuracy. Maybe I should play more games to gain experience. Because generally I feel like i'm in a study trap. I only study and solve tsumego, but rarely play games.

Attachments:
wretched-pchien - Copy.sgf [4.33 KiB]
Downloaded 291 times
wretched-Kojisan - Copy.sgf [2.67 KiB]
Downloaded 316 times
vyachesl-wretched - Copy.sgf [4.47 KiB]
Downloaded 315 times

Post #200 Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:19 am 
Lives with ko

1 more game, i started with a bad mistake but somehow he made a bigger one and quit.

Attachments:
kwinin-wretched.sgf [3.09 KiB]
Downloaded 417 times

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next