It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rage of the Hamster
Post #1 Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:45 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 3
I might as well start study journal here.

I shouldn't be writing here everyday, since I'm supposed to study mathematics most of the time.

Preparing for Finnish Championship first qualification tournament. It's this weekend, so it's too late to actually learn anything. It's more about getting a good self-confident feeling. So I just played three games with my KGS 1 dan account, all against 1 dans. I won two of these, but should be more careful. I was able to create crazy situations, even by my own standards (I have messy playing style and tendency to overplay). I created for the first time a seki where there's an eyeless group between two one-eyed groups. When I entered byo-yomi, I started to play horribly.

If I just could maintain about same reading depth through the whole middle game, not slipping up at second half, and not getting into time disadvantage, it would be fun to play. There'll be three EGF A class games at Saturday, and the third is likely to be mud wrestling with neither player being able or wanting to read much. I wonder why playing three rounds one day is inhuman effort now, and felt okay as 3 kyu, and easy as 10 kyu.

Post subject: Re: Rage of the Hamster
Post #2 Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:21 am 
Dies in gote

I studied maths today and after that my brain was rather tired. However, to fend off tournament stress, I played two games at KGS. First, taking black against 2d, I lost. The mechanism is clear enough for me, yet hard to get rid of. I tried to kill and died myself instead. Second one was semi-blitz game against 1k, taking white with no komi, and I got lucky.

There was no training and nothing especially interesting today, I just don't want to feel even a bit rusty tomorrow. I'll try to remember my tournament games and post some records here.

Post #3 Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:56 pm 
Dies in gote

The tournament is over, and I had a day off today to rest my brain. I still can't fully understand what happened.

I didn't get enough sleep at night before Saturday. I slept about six hours. Rather sensitive to lack of sleep, I've sworn to never again play tired. I thought about dropping out, but after all I was too excited and went anyway.

Tournament was in Turku, 2 hours' drive from where I live. My failure to sleep well and the trip contributed to somewhat unpleasant, tense mindset. First day was not so great, I first lost to a shodan (I have quite sad record against him, 0-6 or so at EGD), then won another shodan, and finally lost to a 2 dan. I was satisfied with this result, however, because this was my first tournament as a shodan.

I slept at the tournament venue, but I shouldn't have done that. It was horrible, mainly because of the noise (drunk people staying up late). Somehow I managed to fall asleep and get a decent rest, using the thought that I don't care about the tournament, I just want to sleep. I woke up when the fourth round was starting. I won fourth and fifth games, 2 dan and 1 dan respectively, and got the sixth place in whole tournament, which actually meant I qualified for the next stage of Finnish Championship. That feels weird, I'm not supposed to be there. The second qualification is filled with tournament-winning 5 and 4 dans, some 3 dans and the six 1-2 dans who qualified from this tournament. Well, it'll be a lot of learning. I'd be happy to get one win.

I am somewhat pleased with my games, except the first where I gladly sacrificed a big chain of cutting stones and thought I was making opponent "overconcentrated". Also the last one was riddled with mistakes (of both players). I overplayed heavily and got away with it. Record of that game is at Game Analysis section.

There won't be much time for me to study go now that I've started my studies, but it would be nice to get some L&D practice, probably joseki too, before next month's tournaments (the one mentioned earlier, and Women's Championships). I'll see what I can do.

This post by Eerika Norvio was liked by: thirdfogie

Post #4 Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:28 pm 
Dies in gote

I actually did some exercises today, first time since I started at university. I solved about 15 tsumegos. My L&D has gotten quite rusty...

Post #5 Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:04 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 180
Was liked: 151
GD Posts: 422
KGS: komi
Eerika Norvio wrote:
I didn't get enough sleep at night before Saturday. I slept about six hours.

I remember at University also "only" getting six hours sleep, perhaps if I stayed up late because I hadn't studied enough, and how tired/useless I felt the next day. Nowadays, six hours of sleep is what I consider a good night. This is a combination of things:

having kids
getting older
a deep resentment of sleep and how much of my life it takes away