It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GoGoDWinter 2014
Post #1 Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:40 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4631
The Winter 2014 version of the GoGoD database is now available for download on www.gogodonline.co.uk with over 82,500 games.

Apart from being up to date with modern games, this version includes a large slew of Chinese games from the 1950s, thanks to T Mark (whose reserve bank is still not depleted - some 300 games left to do!). I have also been adding some Segoe games out of my own interest. It also includes New In Go and a version of the Names Dictionary.

GoGoD remains the most comprehensive and reliable database and the most widely cited - this is where all logan's e-book games come, for example.

A big new SmartGo book "from the GoGoD archives" is also on the way, but I'm afraid I missed Christmas. However, SmartGo Kifu will also soon have (maybe already has?) the latest database.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by 5 people: Bantari, betterlife, Bill Spight, Bonobo, xed_over

Post subject: Re: GoGoD Winter 2014
Post #2 Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:40 am 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Nice to see this is going on, thanks for your perseverance, John!

<edit>

Oh, and could you please edit your post subject “GoGoDWinter 2014” and add a space between “GoGoD” and “Winter” for better “searchability”?

</edit>

Happy [WhatEver You Celebrate], Tom

Post subject: Re: GoGoDWinter 2014
Post #3 Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:53 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 38
Here is an idea. Go4go has only around 45k games there, this has 40k more.

Why not buy them and load them into go4go so we can all enjoy it? :D

Post subject: Re: GoGoD Winter 2014
Post #4 Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:29 am 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
From the GoGoD FAQ:

Quote:
Q: Are go games copyright?

A: We operate on the widely accepted (though strictly untested) assumption, based mainly on chess practice, that individual game records cannot be copyrighted. However, commentary data added to the records is copyrightable, and a collection is also copyrightable. GoGoD asserts its rights to any copyright that may apply. If you use selected games in articles of your own, we do ask that, as a courtesy, you quote GoGoD.

Post #5 Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:46 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Thanks, John. :)

Speaking of Segoe, I have recently been playing over some of his games with Karigane. (From the GoGoD database, of course. :)) What fun!

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #6 Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:54 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 2340
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
John Fairbairn wrote:
The Winter 2014 version of the GoGoD database is now available for download on http://www.gogodonline.co.uk with over 82,500 games.

Apart from being up to date with modern games, this version includes a large slew of Chinese games from the 1950s, thanks to T Mark (whose reserve bank is still not depleted - some 300 games left to do!). I have also been adding some Segoe games out of my own interest. It also includes New In Go and a version of the Names Dictionary.

GoGoD remains the most comprehensive and reliable database and the most widely cited - this is where all logan's e-book games come, for example.

A big new SmartGo book "from the GoGoD archives" is also on the way, but I'm afraid I missed Christmas. However, SmartGo Kifu will also soon have (maybe already has?) the latest database.

Has the Names Dictionary been updated? The version in the Summer 2014 download was last updated in 2006 so it is missing all the new players.

Post #7 Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:20 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4631
Quote:
Has the Names Dictionary been updated? The version in the Summer 2014 download was last updated in 2006 so it is missing all the new players.

No. The site download has only the old html version. SmartGo has a much more recent version but even that is not up-to-date.

The only up-to-date version is my own but it has not been released yet because I am reworking it entirely as an xml document. The reason for that is to make it possible for SmartGo to access the correct characters for each name depending on the user's choice or country.

I have done most of the work but with about 1500 entries it's a big job, and it's not top of my priorities, I'm afraid.

Since it's an unfinished xml document I can't even send out copies as a special service. But once it's ready it will be restored to the site download.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by 3 people: Bonobo, RBerenguel, xed_over