It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Announcing Gridmaster (Android app)
Post #21 Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:02 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 17
I cannot praise this app high enough. You are doing things right. I love the look of it, the possibility to zoom, setup games and comments and study... the options, the interface. My favourite app for studying Joseki and playing against Gnugo. The semi auto download of engines is great!

I have a few suggestions, to make it better.

- Please add additional input methods (stylus, auto zoom, pre-place + submit). Currently it is not possible to enter moves on small smartphones without zooming.

- A match interface, maybe the option to hide the bottom bar. To make it least distractive for matches. It's just because we have a goban on black background. But then the bottom bar is pretty bright.You're already doing things well here. E.g. full screen, zooming, and full use of screen dimensions. It's so important. There are so many apps wasting room which is just a shame on small devices. I am using a Sony Z1 btw.

- A landscape interface! I'd use this for marketing then as well, as I can tell you, people search for such interfaces for their tablets. Also, screen sharing smartphone-> big TVs is very common meanwhile, but this is only useful with landscape mode.
This would be the optimal app for presentations!

- Not interested in your AI engine btw, simply because Gnugo is enough for me. I'd recommend you to use your development time to make the app better.

Good luck, I'd happily pay this App some money. Pricing is a difficult case and you cannot demand for too much in the Android market, I'd probably go for like ~3 EUR. More will be hard to sell.

Post #22 Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:19 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 9
Thank you Sneegurd, I'm glad you like my app.

I'll have a look at your suggestions to see if I can implement them in a future version. Switching between portrait and landscape has caused me some headaches in the past (it has a lot of side effects that can mess things up), but maybe I can find a solution.

About the remark:

"Currently it is not possible to enter moves on small smartphones without zooming."

I can place stones just fine on even the smallest screens without zooming. The trick is to slide your finger away so that you can see where the stone is before releasing it. (If you cannot slide away far enough, just increase the value for "max offset" in the settings.) Just like on a real board, as long as you still touch the stone/screen the move is not yet made.

Best,
Erik

Post #23 Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:55 pm 
Dies in gote

Added a paid version without ads:

http://play.google.com/store/apps/detai ... dmaster.go

Post #24 Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:33 pm 
Lives with ko

Thanks Erik, I like the method of how moves are entered. I wasn't aware there is a paid version btw...

I have a suggestion, I think something is missing. You already support opening of sgf collections in zip files, I guess multi game sgf would also work. I often zip files with game reviews in order to study games. In Gridmaster, there is no overview of the games contained in the zip file. I can navigate with up/down arrows, but no overview whatsoever.

Have I overlooked something?

Also, Pachi never worked on my Sony Z1. Nothing happens, it does not move... There is a Pachi app in Playstore, so I think there can be a working binary.

Best regards

Post #25 Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:20 am 
Lives with ko

Hey Erik, something else. Drago is able to create Fuseki Tree SGFs which have information in their variations (how often has variation been played, win percentage).

In Drago this is displayed in the information screen. In Gridmaster, there is no way to display the statistics information. Can you maybe do something about it? Great for studying...
Here is an example Fuseki file:
http://xmp.net/arno/fuseki.html

Post #26 Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:42 am 
Dies in gote

Hi Sneegurd, Thanks for the feedback!

You're right. Gridmaster currently treats zip files exactly the same as sgf collections (i.e., multiple game trees in one file). It simply loads all the sgf files it can find and combines them as if they are one big collection. You can then switch trees/games by using the up/down buttons in the root position (use push+slide to go through many quickly). The reason I did it this way is that file selection is handled externally through intents (i.e., by other apps or the native installed file management). This helps to keep the app small, but the downside is that I currently don't have any file-browsing functionality inside. One way to find a specific game may be to zoom out a bit and look at the game title, which is displayed above the board (when available), but I agree that for large collections this may still be an inconvenient way to search. I'll make a note to see if I can find a better solution.

I'm not sure what the problem is with Pachi. It works fine on my phone, but it might be that it needs some different compile settings for your hardware. Do you see any specific errors in the debug tab (in the settings select: debug, GTP i/o & GTP err)?

The binaries on my site should work for most people, but it is impossible for me to check all possible device types (Gridmaster currently support over 10000 Android device types, which is hard enough for Steenvreter alone). Pachi is open source, so if you're up for some experimentation you could try to compile it yourself using a cross-compiler, upload it to your Android device, and then add it to Gridmaster in the settings. Alternatively you could rip the engine from the Pachi app (assuming that one does work on your hardware). Contact me privately if you want to know how to do that.

Thanks for pointing out that fuseki file. I see the information is stored in the node names (you can see it under tools->modify->node name, but obviously that is very inconvenient). I'll have a look at showing this information more directly.

Best,
Erik

Post #27 Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:56 am 
Lives with ko

Thank you for your reply and looking into it!
Pachi works! - with your help (debug log was alright) I found out it was my fault. I have set clock to "No clock" and in this case Pachi never seems to make a move.

I wonder if I can make Pachi use Fuego opening books. On Windows, I simply put the opening book (lets call it "example.dat") into the pachi binary dir and call Pachi with "-f example.dat" flag. Now on Android I have no access. I put it into "\storage\emulated\o\Go\book\example.dat" and call Pachi with "-f \storage\emulated\o\Go\book\example.dat" - it does not use it...

Post #28 Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:32 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Sneegurd wrote:
[..] it was my fault. I have set clock to "No clock" and in this case Pachi never seems to make a move.

[..]
Pachi probably was delighted and thought to itself, “whee, how nice, I can think forever!”

Would be interesting to know whether it was really thinking or whether it just fell into coma.

(pls forgive the off-topic)

Post #29 Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:13 am 
Lives with ko

As for Pachi, I also wonder if it can be told not to resign. E.g., if you play a 9x9 with some handicap for Pachi, it instantly resigns on first move.

Post #30 Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:00 pm 
Dies in gote

I'm not familiar with Pachi's opening book functionality, but you specified a windows path, which will definitely not work on Android. On Linux/Android the path separators are slashes. I.e., try something like: "-f /storage/emulated/o/Go/book/example.dat"

A quick look at the Pachi source (uct/uct.c) suggests that you could try command line options such as "resign_threshold=0" or "maximize_score".

Post #31 Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:09 am 
Lives with ko

Hi Erik, I don't know why I posted backslashes... in Gridmaster of course I used Unix slashes. Does not worl... I'm a bit tired of testing because very easily Pachi (with command lines Pachi does not seem to like) it makes Gridmaster not react, even after task killing and restart, so I always have to clear pachi data via Android app management... I think I'm alright with Pachi not using book.

Post #32 Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:59 am 
Dies in gote

Sneegurd wrote:
Hey Erik, something else. Drago is able to create Fuseki Tree SGFs which have information in their variations (how often has variation been played, win percentage).

In Drago this is displayed in the information screen. In Gridmaster, there is no way to display the statistics information. Can you maybe do something about it? Great for studying...
Here is an example Fuseki file:
http://xmp.net/arno/fuseki.html

I have uploaded a new version that displays this information below the board.

Post #33 Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:28 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
Just tried it today. Nice to be able to use Leela Zero. Would be nice if we could easily update it to the best network on a phone which is not rooted.

Post #34 Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:15 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 47
Was liked: 21
@tchan001 https://www.reddit.com/r/baduk/comments ... n_android/ so, even if you're not rooted, you can use Elf and 15-block LZ...

@evdw wow, what a great app for every need you might have. I like the hidden feature of sliding through the moves, and I especially like that there is no button "jump to the end" right next to "next move" button - and I can't praise this enough, it's so good being able to go move by move without any worries :) ! In every other app when I review the game, I accidentally press "go to the end" haha. And the customization is just OUT OF THIS WORLD! I've been using this app for quite a while now and with adding support for LZ it's just awesome.
But I have one question: is it just me, or sometimes while reviewing (move by move) it suddenly quickly plays 2 moves in a row? Maybe I was pressing "next move" too fast, so it skips a move... I review pro games rather quickly :) can this feature be turned off somehow?

Post #35 Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:18 pm 
Dies in gote

johnsmith wrote:
I have one question: is it just me, or sometimes while reviewing (move by move) it suddenly quickly plays 2 moves in a row? Maybe I was pressing "next move" too fast, so it skips a move... I review pro games rather quickly :) can this feature be turned off somehow?

I'm not sure, it depends on what's causing it, I can imagine a few possible reasons:
- Perhaps you accidentally do a long press (which starts auto-replay) and then another press (which ends auto-replay, but does add a move close after the last one from auto-replay)
- Perhaps it really gets two clicks? (something could be wrong with the touch screen)
- Perhaps there's an engine connected that generates the reply?
- If you touch an intersection instead of pressing forward and auto-reply is enabled it replies directly if there is a unique reply in the tree (normally this is on only when playing against a bot, but it can be changed in the settings)

Glad you like my app :-)

Post #36 Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:14 am 
Lives with ko

evdw wrote:
I can imagine a few possible reasons:
- Perhaps you accidentally do a long press (which starts auto-replay) and then another press (which ends auto-replay, but does add a move close after the last one from auto-replay)
- Perhaps it really gets two clicks? (something could be wrong with the touch screen)
- Perhaps there's an engine connected that generates the reply?
- If you touch an intersection instead of pressing forward and auto-reply is enabled it replies directly if there is a unique reply in the tree (normally this is on only when playing against a bot, but it can be changed in the settings)
First two reasons seem plausible because I'm just reviewing a game, and it goes very well except for a few moves per game...

Hmmm, seems like there is a fifth reason to this list, since I'm a fast clicker: my reviewing thumb maybe somehow unintentionally (and occasionally) slides instead of pressing "next button", thus causing it to fast forward the game (i.e. quickly playing 2 moves). When I review slower, it doesn't happen.

Post #37 Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:38 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 52
Was liked: 6
OGS: sleepyEDB
Hello,

I finally found that if I pinch the board and zoom out I can view the tree when reviewing (memorizing) a pro game which is useful to see if I'm following the main tree or if I've made a mistake and caused a variation. However, the tree seems to be misplaced and is actually behind the board instead of underneath, forcing me to zoom out so far I can barely see, let alone place future stones. I've uploaded a screenshot for reference:

Attachment:
Screenshot_20180612-162801.png
Screenshot_20180612-162801.png [ 59.12 KiB | Viewed 8834 times ]

I'm not sure if this is just me and my phone (Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge running Android 7.0), a product of the SGF I'm using (also uploaded for reference, or maybe even the intended behavior.

Thanks,

sleepy

Attachments:
13198044-sgf-Choi Jeong-Kim Dongho.sgf [1.5 KiB]
Downloaded 395 times

Post #38 Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:26 am 
Dies in gote

Quote:
the tree seems to be misplaced and is actually behind the board instead of underneath

This is by design. When you zoom out you see the board position connected in the game tree. It's only 'behind' if you're in the final position. E.g., if you step a few moves back in the game you can see the continuation appear on the other side of the board.

This post by evdw was liked by: sleepyEDB

Post #39 Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:11 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 52
Was liked: 6
OGS: sleepyEDB
evdw wrote:
This is by design.

Okay, fair enough. Thanks for the reply!

sleepy

Post #40 Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:32 pm 
Lives with ko

Hi, I have one question. These are the engine settings that had worked on my previous phone (and still working), but not working on s9+.

Name: Leela Zero
Version: 0.15
Full path: /data/user/0/nl.tengen.gridmaster/files/lz-192x15-0.15_armv8/leelaz
Work Dir.: /storage/emulated/0/Download/Networks/
Args: -v 200 -w network --timemanage fast -r 0 -t8 -g --noponder

Output:
Using 8 thread(s).
RNG seed: 106…
Could not open weights file: network

Things I have already checked:
1. network name is "network" without any extensions. It's the same error log, no matter if I use 15 block or Elf v1 weights. I tried even with network.gz, but still the same.
2. Work dir is copied from ES File Explorer, so that should be fine.
3. 15 block out of the box works just fine.