It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Go News section at Go4Go to cover professional events
Post #1 Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:39 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 72
Was liked: 479
KGS: macelee
Maintaining the Go4Go database is quite time-consuming, so I can only managed to add new functions to the site around this time every year when I am relatively free. This year's major new function is now online: http://www.go4go.net/go/tournaments/news

I am aware that many Go fans use Mr Kin's Go News site to follow professional events. I personally use it as a good reference. I've created a new section on Go4Go, natrually called 'Go News', roughly following his style and organisation. The difference is of course all my pages are dynamically generated from Go4Go database so information is better presented and more accurate (consistent name spellings, and much lower possibility for human errors).

You may be aware that over the years I've accumulated 900+ tournament score charts, with only a few linked from various places on the site. With the new 'Go News' section, most of these charts are now properly indexed, and historical games can be located much more easily.

Please report any problems. I will keep improving this. Not everything can be automated now. For example, reshuffling of seats at early rounds of international tournaments is quite often (so that players from same country do not meet too early). But this cannot be easily handled by software. So there will be delays presenting few tournaments. But overall this gives a rather complete coverage of major Go tournaments. Also I need to figure out how to provide information for those cells where game records are not available.

Go4Go database now contains nearly 45,000 games. As usual each one is manually examined and processed so I believe the quality is better than other collections. Quantity is currently not my major concern.

Last edited by macelee on Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

This post by macelee was liked by 4 people: Bonobo, ez4u, LinuxGooo, RBerenguel

Post subject: Re: New Go News section at Go4Go to professional events
Post #2 Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:20 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 33
macelee wrote:
Go4Go database now contains nearly 45,000 games. I believe the quality is better than other collections.

Maybe you know about the database at http://homepages.cwi.nl/~aeb/go/games/index.html.
It contains somewhere between 15000 and 20000 games. The main aims are quality and public availability.
macelee wrote:
900+ tournament score charts

Nice! Randomly picking Japanese Oza, I find at
http://www.go4go.net/go/tournaments/news/42 that there is data for the 24th and the 38th..62nd Oza. You can find fairly complete tables for many earlier years, often with most or all of the games, at http://homepages.cwi.nl/~aeb/go/games/games/Oza/.

Post #3 Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:10 am 
Lives in sente

aeb wrote:
macelee wrote:
900+ tournament score charts

Nice! Randomly picking Japanese Oza, I find at
http://www.go4go.net/go/tournaments/news/42 that there is data for the 24th and the 38th..62nd Oza. You can find fairly complete tables for many earlier years, often with most or all of the games, at http://homepages.cwi.nl/~aeb/go/games/games/Oza/.

Good work! I know your webiste but did not realise that you have compiled many league tables for Oza and some other events. These are valuable resources.

BTW, I use your sgfutils tool as part of the procedure checking my database. It is working brilliantly. The only complaint I can make: 'sgfcheck' reports errors when finding games that resigning side playing the last move. This is not usual in the Chinese system when players finish all yose moves, know exactly the game outcome and dive strightly into post-game analysis. Other times, game servers broadcasting games do not always know the accurate final results so probably incorrectly recording game results as +R. So that normally does not indicate an erroneous or incomplete game record. It would be nice to have an option to disable that check.

Post #4 Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:31 am 
Dies with sente

macelee wrote:
BTW, I use your sgfutils tool as part of the procedure checking my database. It is working brilliantly. The only complaint I can make: 'sgfcheck' reports errors when finding games that resigning side playing the last move. It would be nice to have an option to disable that check.

OK, -Eresign disables in the latest sgfutils.

Post #5 Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:58 am 
Lives in sente

aeb wrote:
macelee wrote:
OK, -Eresign disables in the latest sgfutils.

Thanks for doing this so quickly. sgtcheck now reports the following on Go4Go database:
sgfcheck __go4go_19851107_Takemiya-Masaki_Hane-Yasumasa.sgf: move 132: illegal k
o recapture
sgfcheck __go4go_19930610_Takemiya-Masaki_Kataoka-Satoshi.sgf: move 171: illegal
ko recapture
sgfcheck __go4go_19930902_Rin-Kaiho_Komatsu-Hideki.sgf: cycle: position after mo
ve 328 equals that after move 322
sgfcheck __go4go_19981014_Cho-Chikun_O-Rissei.sgf: cycle: position after move 21
9 equals that after move 213
sgfcheck __go4go_19990410_Jimmy-Cha_Ishii-Shinzo.sgf: move 222: illegal ko recap
ture
sgfcheck __go4go_20010423_Wang-Lei-(b)_Zhou-Heyang.sgf: cycle: position after mo
ve 221 equals that after move 215
sgfcheck __go4go_20020509_Yoda-Norimoto_Hikosaka-Naoto.sgf: cycle: position afte
r move 154 equals that after move 148
sgfcheck __go4go_20040327_Yoda-Norimoto_O-Meien.sgf: cycle: position after move
211 equals that after move 203
sgfcheck __go4go_20040822_O-Meien_Kim-Sujun.sgf: cycle: position after move 243
equals that after move 235
sgfcheck __go4go_20050911_Lee-Changho_Chang-Hao.sgf: cycle: position after move
358 equals that after move 350
sgfcheck __go4go_20060417_So-Yokoku_Zhu-Songli.sgf: cycle: position after move 2
91 equals that after move 285
sgfcheck __go4go_20060501_Cho-U_Gu-Li.sgf: cycle: position after move 169 equals
that after move 163
sgfcheck __go4go_20090914_Uchida-Shuhei_O-Meien.sgf: cycle: position after move
105 equals that after move 99
sgfcheck __go4go_20091123_Kim-Hyeongwoo_Heo-Yongho.sgf: cycle: position after mo
ve 250 equals that after move 244
sgfcheck __go4go_20101123_Kim-Yoonyoung_Yoshida-Mika.sgf: cycle: position after
move 152 equals that after move 146
sgfcheck __go4go_20110906_Hu-Yaoyu_Chen-Yaoye.sgf: cycle: position after move 27
8 equals that after move 272
sgfcheck __go4go_20130629_An-Sungjoon_Choi-Cheolhan.sgf: cycle: position after m
ove 87 equals that after move 83
sgfcheck __go4go_20130818_Tong-Mengcheng_Tan-Xiao.sgf: cycle: position after mov
e 215 equals that after move 209
sgfcheck __go4go_20130927_Yamashita-Keigo_Kono-Rin_0.sgf: cycle: position after
move 182 equals that after move 176
sgfcheck __go4go_20131102_Chen-Yaoye_Gu-Li.sgf: cycle: position after move 235 e
quals that after move 229
sgfcheck __go4go_20131107_Tang-Weixing_Shi-Yue.sgf: cycle: position after move 2
02 equals that after move 196
sgfcheck __go4go_20140418_Zhao-Chenyu_Hong-Kipyo.sgf: move 148: illegal ko recap
ture
sgfcheck __go4go_20140605_Lee-Sedol_Jiang-Weijie.sgf: cycle: position after move
276 equals that after move 268

Basically it detects all the illegal ko captures (really happened in a few pro games), as well as reports those triple/quadupal ko situations as 'cycle'.

Post #6 Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:26 am 
Dies with sente

macelee wrote:
Basically it detects all the illegal ko captures (really happened in a few pro games), as well as reports those triple/quadruple ko situations as 'cycle'.

Good - a very clean database!
Some more triple/quadruple kos are given on or near http://homepages.cwi.nl/~aeb/go/rules/quadruple_ko.html.

Post subject: Re: New Go News section at Go4Go to cover professional event
Post #7 Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:08 pm 
Lives in sente

I have been working hard using my spare time during the Christmas holiday. Following the addition 10 days ago, another new section has been added. This presents from a single page all the title deciding games, which broadly follow the idea as in Mr Kin's Go Topics page. This should be useful to locate important games, and it should be particularly helpful for those Go fans who only have limited time to follow professional Go events.

Find from the main menu 'Final Games'. http://www.go4go.net/go/games/finals

I will try to figure out how to link the tournament description to the score chats when available.

This post by macelee was liked by: RBerenguel

Post #8 Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:37 pm 
Lives in sente

macelee wrote:
Find from the main menu 'Final Games'. http://www.go4go.net/go/games/finals

I will try to figure out how to link the tournament description to the score chats when available.

Links from the 'Final Games' pages to the 'Go News' pages are now available. This works better than I thought - these pages clearly show what's missing in my database to guide my work.

Post #9 Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:13 am 
Lives in sente

Happy New Year!

The development of the Go News section is now complete with all title holders information up-to-date. And there are now more than 1000 tournament score charts available - I believe this is the largest such collection on the Internet. :D

http://www.go4go.net/go/tournaments/news