It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Segoe tsumego pdf booklet
Post #21 Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:33 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 56
A decently produced book really appeals to people, in a way that a tablet or phone couldn't.

There's even companies who intentionally publish out-of-copyright books as a way to make money.
Not all of them do it well, but the fact that there's money to be made with it is clearly established.

Somehow, a physical book has more presence than letters on a screen. I don't know if that's just nostalgia from people who grew up with mobile phones or ereaders, but I've always felt more relaxed reading from printed paper.

Post #22 Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:20 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
tentano wrote:
I don't know if that's just nostalgia from people who grew up with mobile phones or ereaders, but I've always felt more relaxed reading from printed paper.

Personally, I cannot read anything online which take more than two minutes. The whole idea of electronic media is anathema to me. I skip any post on here which cannot be read and digested in one or two minutes. I find that glaring at a screen for prolonged time gives me a headache, and as I have to do it for my job I don't want to do it for pleasure. But give me a good book and I can read for hours.

Post #23 Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:08 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 56
I've actually found that by dimming the brightness to "unusable" levels, I can stand reading from a screen for much longer. I really don't need that much light to be able to read, especially on a high-contrast text such as pitch black on perfect white.

It's still not as pleasant as dead tree format, though.

Post #24 Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:31 am 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
Most of my go books lately have been Japanese kindle books and the Nihon Kiin e-gobooks. It takes some time to get used to, but it can be very worth it for the convenience factor.