All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: go4go.net - moving to a new server
Post #1 Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:11 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 72
Was liked: 479
KGS: macelee
Dear Go fans,

You might experience 'internal server error' while visiting Go4Go.net recently. This is caused by the hosting company imposing memory limit to my account. The greedy company wants to bully me into buying their very expensive dedicated hosting ($50+ a month).

I am currently moving the site to a cloud-based service which I have full control. The transition will take some days to complete as I sort out technical problems.

When you see the 'internal error', most times simply reloading the page would solve the problem. Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Last edited by macelee on Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

This post by macelee was liked by: Bonobo

Post subject: Re: go4go.net - internal server error
Post #2 Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:44 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 38
macelee wrote:
Dear Go fans,

You might experience 'internal server error' while visiting Go4Go.net recently. This is caused by the hosting company imposing memory limit to my account. The greedy company wants to bully me into buying their very expensive dedicated hosting ($50+ a month).

I am currently moving the site to a cloud-based service which I have full control. The transition will take some days to complete as I sort out technical problems.

When you see the 'internal error', most times simply reloading the page would solve the problem. Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Don't let them bully you!!! :evil:

Take your time!

I love your site!

This post by Krama was liked by: macelee

Post subject: Re: go4go.net - moving to a new server
Post #3 Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:44 am 
Lives in sente

I am moving the site to a new server today. After the move, the annoying 'Internal Server Error' will go away. And I can then happily dump my old hosting company, who have been torturing me for the past few years.

I am putting both the old site and the new site into maintenance mode so that no new data can be created by users. This makes sure I can properly synchronise the database contents. All user data will remain the same after the move.

It will take a while for the go4go domain name to point to the new server. I expect to bring the site back online later today if everything works according to plan.

I am also happy to report that I take this opportunity to update my backend system so that I can create contents more efficiently in the future.

Please let me know if anything is broken. Thank you for your patience and support over the years!

This post by macelee was liked by 3 people: Bonobo, ez4u, globulon

Post #4 Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:58 am 
Lives in sente

OK. The site on the new server is up and running. :clap: It appears to be mostly working fine - only a few small problems to sort out.

The server is physically located in the Netherlands. As far as I can see, it is faster than the old one. And it should be much more reliable.

This post by macelee was liked by 4 people: Bonobo, emeraldemon, g0blin, globulon

Post #5 Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:24 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 202
Was liked: 1087
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
macelee wrote:
The greedy company wants to bully me into buying their very expensive dedicated hosting ($50+ a month).

That doesn't sound very expensive? A VPS can be got for cheaper, but $50 per month is quite reasonable for a dedicated server, and not even that much for VPS hosting.

Post #6 Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:28 am 
Oza

Liked others: 2338
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
The situation at the moment...

Internal Server Error

[snip]
[Edit]
It is working now for me. :tmbup:
[Re-edit]
Working in firefox, but I am still getting an 'error downloading games' in GoEye.

Post #7 Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:50 am 
Lives in sente

ez4u wrote:
Working in firefox, but I am still getting an 'error downloading games' in GoEye.

Oh, thanks for reporting this. Go Eye was probably picking up my data via SSL and I need to set that up. I am not an expert on that, but I will try to have it sorted.

Post #8 Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:59 am 
Lives in sente

HermanHiddema wrote:
That doesn't sound very expensive? A VPS can be got for cheaper, but $50 per month is quite reasonable for a dedicated server, and not even that much for VPS hosting.

Yes you are right. $50 is not expensive but that's not my point. The problem is, sites of Go4Go's size do not need a dedicated server. This company stuffs too many website on their shared hosting, and then blames normal user for using 'excessive' resources. They then used technical means to limit my account without consulting me, generating those nasty internal server errors.

Post #9 Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:38 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 87
Was liked: 9
Thanks for all your work macelee!

Post #10 Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:53 pm 
Lives in sente

macelee wrote:
Oh, thanks for reporting this. Go Eye was probably picking up my data via SSL and I need to set that up. I am not an expert on that, but I will try to have it sorted.

OK. Go Eye is working again now. Luckily list of web resources used by Go Eye is maintained outside the app. So changes can be made easily.

This post by macelee was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, ez4u

Post #11 Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:37 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Hello macelee, this page doesn’t show: http://www.go4go.net/go/commentaries/professional … I just get a blank page.

Post #12 Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:42 pm 
Lives in sente

Bonobo wrote:
Hello macelee, this page doesn’t show: http://www.go4go.net/go/commentaries/professional … I just get a blank page.

Thanks for reporting this. One of the database tables was missing during the transition. It has been fixed.

This post by macelee was liked by: Bonobo