It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just Enough Japanese Volume Two
Post #1 Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:18 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 23
Was liked: 45
Volume Two of Just Enough Japanese has just been released. It is currently available as a SmartGo GoBook http://gobooks.com/books.html for Apple iOS devices and Apple mac. An Android version of GoBooks is in progress.

The series guides you from knowing zero Japanese to understanding the text of go problems and their answers, and extracting key information from game records. Volume Two is a direct continuation of Volume One. Divided into five sections, it methodically introduces vocabulary found on book covers and in headers, captions, and diagrams. It is aimed at go players of all abilities with a fairly wide range of interest in Japanese.

As with volume one, the Appendix links to a page on gobooks.com where you can download plain text files of vocabulary for use in flashcards. I would be interested in comments from people about their experience using these.

Post subject: Re: Just Enough Japanese Volume Two
Post #2 Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:38 am 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
Sounds interesting but is it not available for those who don't have anything but a plain old computer?

Post #3 Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:29 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 235
Was liked: 77
Universal go server handle: fireproof
If your plain old computer is a Mac: http://gobooks.com

Post #4 Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:14 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
Unfortunately I have never used or owned a Mac.

Post #5 Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:44 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 23
Was liked: 45
DrStraw wrote:
Unfortunately I have never used or owned a Mac.

The book is written in GoBooks format. At present, the only format readers are on iOS and mac. You may know that the man behind GoBooks and SmartGo, Anders Kierulf, invented sgf, which spread to become a widely used standard. The GoBooks format has been released (http://smartgo.com/blog/20130710.html), and anyone can use it to create their own personal books, just as you can make your own sgfs. At some time in the future, commercial GoBooks might spread to other platforms. But, currently, the only planned expansion is Android.

Bill Cobb of Slate and Shell did express some initial interest in doing volume one as a print book. However, kanji are difficult for his layout program and all the links and features would be missing in a print book, so he is not currently intending to do that. If enough people express interest, he might reconsider.