It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GoGoD Winter 2016
Post #1 Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:35 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
The Winter 2016 edition of the GoGoD database is now available at http://gogodonline.co.uk/

This edition has passed the 90,000 games mark. That's a highlight in itself, but this edition includes some of the new Go Seigen games I found recently in Japan (the rest will go in future editions). Historically the focus has been on the 1920s, but of course the latest games are included, too.

This edition is distinguished by inclusion, at long last, of the xml version of the Onomasticon (names dictionary). This gives the names (and alternative names) in English, Japanese, Chinese and Korean (both simplified, Japanese and traditional characters, along with pinyin, kana and Hangeul) with extensive biographical data for well over 4,000 entries - mainly pro players but also go patrons, journalists, poets, and anybody else connected with go in the Far East.

The xml file and schema are included for those who wish to devise a private program for their own use, but for Windows users a reader program is included which allows you to input and search not just in English but in any of the Oriental languages.

There is also a separate Windows program to search on the database, and the old New In Go archive.

Three things to note:

1. The names dictionary and its program are works in progress. In particular, the names dictionary is pretty up to date as regards new players but still needs some updating for recent rank changes in Korea and China. It could also do with a more thorough proofread. The program also needs some polish, but works for me. It seemed better to get something out now rather than wait 6 more months.

2. The above items are complimentary to the sgf database (i.e. unsupported and as-is only).

3. Both Mac and Windows users should be able to access both the database games and the names dictionary output via SmartGo some time very soon. Anders is just finishing off programming the names dictionary access as I write, and I presume he needs to add a week or so for the apps to be registered.

A little story now. One of the Go Seigen games I added was a two-stone game with an amateur who was using the game to assess whether he should make the effort to turn pro. The result was a jigo. Given that even an established pro would be over the moon to tie with Go on 2 stones, you'd think the amateur's decision was made for him. But he decided to become a medical taxonomist instead (sounds more interesting than go, actually).

It wouldn't do to ask Go for advice on this decision, and certainly Go would not take on the responsibility of offering unsolicited advice. So something happened to alert the amateur to the unwisdom of becoming a pro. The jigo must have been part of it. The other part must have been Go's post-game revelation that he thought, even at the count-up stage, that he had won by 1 point.

My interpretation of that is that Go's revelation was a little fib to alert the amateur to the fact that he had been trying deliberately to engineer a jigo, and the fact that he could engineer it suggested that the amateur didn't quite have the sort of game to succeed in the pro world.

This sort of human Bluetooth communication is normal in Japan, of course.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by 6 people: Bonobo, ez4u, gamesorry, jptavan, logan, Waylon