It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Baduk TV is on the air (again)
Post #61 Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:35 pm 
Site Admin

Liked others: 18
Was liked: 121
Universal go server handle: Jordus
It is definitely up right now at http://lifein19x19.com/L19TV.php

This post by Jordus was liked by: rubin427

Post #62 Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:06 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 0
Now again not working..Do you know why it is like that?

Post #63 Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:44 pm 
Dies in gote

Was liked: 4
DGS: 13
Universal go server handle: Gegenzeit
Nice!

I had to start it a couple of times, but now it works.

Post #64 Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:16 pm 
Dies in gote

Was liked: 0
Offline again :sad:

Post #65 Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:40 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 39
GD Posts: 25
OGS: phillip1882
yeah i'm having trouble viewing as well. just says off air.

Post #66 Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:36 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 36
It has been offline quite long time, but the stream is on as I type this.

Post #67 Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:51 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 85
Was liked: 85
GD Posts: 100
There's a BadukTv app in the android marketplace now, it seems to work, though I tried it a few times and got black screen but today there's video. I think it's limited to a 2 minutes viewing trial and I didn't see any obvious links to upgrade..

Post #68 Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:12 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 34
GD Posts: 24
CnP wrote:
There's a BadukTv app in the android marketplace now, it seems to work, though I tried it a few times and got black screen but today there's video. I think it's limited to a 2 minutes viewing trial and I didn't see any obvious links to upgrade..
You are aware of Baduk TV at GoGameGuru, right? They plan on eventually adding support for mobile devices.

"Those who calculate greatly will win; those who calculate only a little will lose, but what of those who don't make any calculations at all!? This is why everything must be calculated, in order to foresee victory and defeat."-The Art of War

This post by nagano was liked by 2 people: CnP, gogameguru

Post #69 Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:53 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 21
nagano wrote:
CnP wrote:
You are aware of Baduk TV at GoGameGuru, right? They plan on eventually adding support for mobile devices.

it looks like baduktv is planning on covering that market. they have released official apps and for the moment they are leaving it open for free as a promotion.

the same portals are able to be viewed here for now :clap:

http://210.122.100.217:8080/Demo.html

ios, android, general web

Post #70 Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:08 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 192
Was liked: 357
@Kusto

If you have that link then I'd expect you also know that that's their test server. Their official English website is still under development, but it's coming soon here: http://www.baduktv.kr/

In addition to the arrangement they have with Go Game Guru, Baduk TV plan to launch their own service. And because they felt that not that many people in the West knew about Baduk TV, they decided to give free access to Baduk TV for a limited time.

The difference between the Baduk TV service and the Go Game Guru service is that Baduk TV are focussing mainly only making the live stream available through their new website and mobile apps. Go Game Guru is focussing more on video on demand so that we can eventually make them available with English subtitles (which is one of the things we're working on at the moment). The two services are quite different.

Because the live stream is free for a couple of months, Baduk TV have kindly allowed us to stream the video off their servers during this introductory period, but we're currently using their old media server because the new one is still being tested. Once their new server is ready, we'll switch the stream over to that, to resolve problems some people have had with using older Microsoft protocols. When Baduk TV decides to end the free service, we'll switch it over to our own media server, with support for adaptive bitrate and Apple's HLS protocol (which means it's iOS and Android compatible). Go Game Guru is already optimised for mobile, so we'll only provide the live stream through our website here: http://gogameguru.com/baduk-tv-live/

We've been waiting until that new server is actually ready to support a large number of connections before using it. I don't think you're doing Baduk TV any favours by posting a link to their test server here, because you have no idea whether it has the resources to cope with many simultaneous connections. Baduk TV have already been very generous in giving Go players around the world free access to their TV service for several months. The TV shows cost a lot of money to produce and the bandwidth costs for live streaming aren't small either. Why not just be satisfied with what they've given you and not create problems for them?

I can only assume that you didn't know it was the test server and you found that link by some other means? Or?

Go Game Guru: Learn Go | How to Get Better at Go | Go Game Shop | Go Boards | Baduk TV

Post #71 Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:16 pm 
Dies with sente

gogameguru wrote:
@Kusto

If you have that link then I'd expect you also know that that's their test server. Their official English website is still under development, but it's coming soon here: http://www.baduktv.kr/

In addition to the arrangement they have with Go Game Guru, Baduk TV plan to launch their own service. And because they felt that not that many people in the West knew about Baduk TV, they decided to give free access to Baduk TV for a limited time.

The difference between the Baduk TV service and the Go Game Guru service is that Baduk TV are focussing mainly only making the live stream available through their new website and mobile apps. Go Game Guru is focussing more on video on demand so that we can eventually make them available with English subtitles (which is one of the things we're working on at the moment). The two services are quite different.

Because the live stream is free for a couple of months, Baduk TV have kindly allowed us to stream the video off their servers during this introductory period, but we're currently using their old media server because the new one is still being tested. Once their new server is ready, we'll switch the stream over to that, to resolve problems some people have had with using older Microsoft protocols. When Baduk TV decides to end the free service, we'll switch it over to our own media server, with support for adaptive bitrate and Apple's HLS protocol (which means it's iOS and Android compatible). Go Game Guru is already optimised for mobile, so we'll only provide the live stream through our website here: http://gogameguru.com/baduk-tv-live/

We've been waiting until that new server is actually ready to support a large number of connections before using it. I don't think you're doing Baduk TV any favours by posting a link to their test server here, because you have no idea whether it has the resources to cope with many simultaneous connections. Baduk TV have already been very generous in giving Go players around the world free access to their TV service for several months. The TV shows cost a lot of money to produce and the bandwidth costs for live streaming aren't small either. Why not just be satisfied with what they've given you and not create problems for them?

I can only assume that you didn't know it was the test server and you found that link by some other means? Or?

calm down :roll:

i thought it was probably a test server being used to promote interest in the stream when it goes on sale. which it looks like it is doing. the link is being passed around on twitter and various blogs since the begining of february. they have only just released the apps though on ios and android which use the same stream and have no restrictions on them at the moment. i can watch baduk tv on my device using their official app all day from the same source/quality.

after they released those apps i figured there is no difference to sharing that link.

by the way i dont mind who supplies the live stream, i will go with the cheapest since they come from the same source.
i look forward to your subtitles project though and am thankful for all your efforts. :bow: :salute:

Post #72 Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:55 pm 
Lives in gote

kusto wrote:

Thanks for being so condescending... You'll note that I treated you with respect and gave you the benefit of the doubt. Maybe you could do the same in return.

We were asked not to share the link to the test server while they were working on it.

It seems that what you're saying is that you knew it was a test server and assumed it was ok to share it, but didn't really know? Is that right? It's a test server, not a production server. If you don't know what that means, go and look it up.

Go Game Guru: Learn Go | How to Get Better at Go | Go Game Shop | Go Boards | Baduk TV

Post #73 Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:30 pm 
Dies with sente

gogameguru wrote:
kusto wrote:

Thanks for being so condescending... You'll note that I treated you with respect and gave you the benefit of the doubt. Maybe you could do the same in return.

We were asked not to share the link to the test server while they were working on it.

It seems that what you're saying is that you knew it was a test server and assumed it was ok to share it, but didn't really know? Is that right? It's a test server, not a production server. If you don't know what that means, go and look it up.

with respect? you accused me of costing baduktv resources/money and also being ungrateful. which is rubish, i will be buying their service - direct. While they offer their stream for free to people thats their choice and no guilt shall be placed on me.

i never said i knew it was a test server, i said i thought it might have been being used for tests and also being used to promote their service as echoed by your site doing the same thing. i was never asked not to share it and up until now i hadnt. i have now because they are sharing the stream freely themselves on those devices as i already said. anyone with twitter or who reads go blogs would have seen it a long time ago by themselves. :grumpy: :salute:

Post #74 Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:13 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 34
GD Posts: 24
gogameguru wrote:

Interesting. So I take it GoGameGuru will continue to offer the streaming service after they have launched theirs? Will there be any difference? Also, when the quality is up to 720p, will the stream also be 16:9?

"Those who calculate greatly will win; those who calculate only a little will lose, but what of those who don't make any calculations at all!? This is why everything must be calculated, in order to foresee victory and defeat."-The Art of War

Post #75 Posted: Sat May 12, 2012 5:37 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 36
kusto wrote:
the same portals are able to be viewed here for now :clap:

http://210.122.100.217:8080/Demo.html

ios, android, general web

Thank you for sharing the link (and of course to BadukTV for the free promo). Nice to watch in higher res.

Btw. I am sure they can edit that html page if they feel too many people are using it. It's not like you linked directly to the stream or anything.

Post #76 Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:11 pm 
Lives in gote

nagano wrote:
Interesting. So I take it GoGameGuru will continue to offer the streaming service after they have launched theirs? Will there be any difference? Also, when the quality is up to 720p, will the stream also be 16:9?

The short answer is, that's our plan, but I can't guarantee it will be possible right now. When we first started planning this last year, we intended to provide the live stream at three quality levels: 240p, 480p and 720p (in 1280x720 - 16:9 format). We were envisioning that some people would eventually want to watch it on their TV too, and 720p is important from that perspective.

The media server server sends you one of those three streams based on your device's hardware capabilities, and available bandwidth. It can also switch you between them seamlessly to resolve lag problems, as long as all three streams have been encoded properly. So the actual quality you get depends on your internet connection and what you're watching it on. It won't always be 720p for everyone.

Basically it's a setup which makes sure you always get the best quality video you can support while also reducing lag/choppiness in the playback. It's called 'adaptive bitrate streaming'. We've tested it, but we don't have have it working in production because that will involve setting up some physical hardware in Korea to encode the live video and upload it to our media server.

Now that Baduk TV's new server is in testing, there's another option for us to source the stream from that server directly, because the quality is a lot better than before. This approach would reduce some of Go Game Guru's costs, but it also means we could lose control over the encoding to some degree. If we choose that option, and they don't support up to 1280x720 in their stream, there's no way for us to magically increase the quality ourselves. You can take a high quality video stream and encode it as described above, as long as there's some data you can afford to throw away, but obviously you can't go the other way.

At the moment we're waiting for CJ (the TV company that owns Baduk TV) make a final decision on how they want to price the live stream and how they want to encode the video on their media server. Both of us are looking at the data from the beta services to get an idea about how long people watch Baduk TV for each week on average and what the bandwidth costs for that are. They're very busy at the moment, so it will take a few more weeks, and we'll make our decision after that.

My view (as I've said elsewhere on L19) is that people are always going to pirate things like this, so I believe it's better to spend a little bit more money and provide a much higher quality service for the people who want to pay for quality. Because you can't compete with pirates on price.

What do other people think about this? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

kivi wrote:
Btw. I am sure they can edit that html page if they feel too many people are using it. It's not like you linked directly to the stream or anything.

Which is what they did last Monday. You'll notice that the old link now redirects you to the official page I posted earlier. I guess I obviously didn't explain it very well, but my point was just "please don't cause unnecessary problems for their IT team and the people who are involved in testing", because there are plenty of other places where you can watch it for free at the moment anyway. It just wastes someone's time and slows things down. It seems that Kusto is going to be furious with me no matter what I say now and he appears to be waging a one person PR campaign against Go Game Guru. Certainly I could've been clearer and more tactful in the first place, and I'm sorry about that. Younggil and I have been working on this for a long time now and some days we wonder why we bother when someone always seems to be attacking us about something :(. I know logically that people with something bad to say are usually louder and it's impossible to make everyone happy, but still...

Post #77 Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:46 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 183
Was liked: 100
Universal go server handle: hailthorn
gogameguru wrote:
nagano wrote:

The short answer is, that's our plan, but I can't guarantee it will be possible right now. When we first started planning this last year, we intended to provide the live stream at three quality levels: 240p, 480p and 720p (in 1280x720 - 16:9 format). We were envisioning that some people would eventually want to watch it on their TV too, and 720p is important from that perspective.

The media server server sends you one of those three streams based on your device's hardware capabilities, and available bandwidth. It can also switch you between them seamlessly to resolve lag problems, as long as all three streams have been encoded properly. So the actual quality you get depends on your internet connection and what you're watching it on. It won't always be 720p for everyone.

Basically it's a setup which makes sure you always get the best quality video you can support while also reducing lag/choppiness in the playback. It's called 'adaptive bitrate streaming'. We've tested it, but we don't have have it working in production because that will involve setting up some physical hardware in Korea to encode the live video and upload it to our media server.

Now that Baduk TV's new server is in testing, there's another option for us to source the stream from that server directly, because the quality is a lot better than before. This approach would reduce some of Go Game Guru's costs, but it also means we could lose control over the encoding to some degree. If we choose that option, and they don't support up to 1280x720 in their stream, there's no way for us to magically increase the quality ourselves. You can take a high quality video stream and encode it as described above, as long as there's some data you can afford to throw away, but obviously you can't go the other way.

At the moment we're waiting for CJ (the TV company that owns Baduk TV) make a final decision on how they want to price the live stream and how they want to encode the video on their media server. Both of us are looking at the data from the beta services to get an idea about how long people watch Baduk TV for each week on average and what the bandwidth costs for that are. They're very busy at the moment, so it will take a few more weeks, and we'll make our decision after that.

My view (as I've said elsewhere on L19) is that people are always going to pirate things like this, so I believe it's better to spend a little bit more money and provide a much higher quality service for the people who want to pay for quality. Because you can't compete with pirates on price.

What do other people think about this? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

kivi wrote:

Which is what they did last Monday. You'll notice that the old link now redirects you to the official page I posted earlier. I guess I obviously didn't explain it very well, but my point was just "please don't cause unnecessary problems for their IT team and the people who are involved in testing", because there are plenty of other places where you can watch it for free at the moment anyway. It just wastes someone's time and slows things down. It seems that Kusto is going to be furious with me no matter what I say now and he appears to be waging a one person PR campaign against Go Game Guru. Certainly I could've been clearer and more tactful in the first place, and I'm sorry about that. Younggil and I have been working on this for a long time now and some days we wonder why we bother when someone always seems to be attacking us about something :(. I know logically that people with something bad to say are usually louder and it's impossible to make everyone happy, but still...

I'll say this, dubbed programming for Baduk TV is exactly what I've dreamt of for a long time now. And being able to watch it on demand would be an incredibly service. It's something I've wanted for a long time because Go for me is in some ways more of a spectator sport. I love playing, yes, but I really enjoy watching professional games. It's highly entertaining.

And I'm sure nobody set out with the desire to dismantle what y'all are trying to accomplish, just a bunch of overeager people. At least that's my take on it. Have a nice day.

Post #78 Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:52 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 31
Was liked: 3
KGS: Xaos
IGS: Xaos
DGS: Xaos
OGS: Mambi
uglyboxer wrote:
I think I'm missing something. I'm trying to view it on a Mac, and it keeps telling me I'm missing a plug-in. I downloaded the suggested flip4mac plug-in, and then the suggested Silverlight (and installed them). But still it says I'm missing a plug-in. Any ideas?

check you browser settings 'cause i got the same messages and it works for me (flip4mac and sliverlight are installed).. don't ask my more 'cause i barely understand what i wrote..

Post #79 Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:14 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
Reminds me of some nigerian spam mail.

Post #80 Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:09 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 25
Was liked: 78
KGS: Dexmorgan
Wbaduk: c0nanbatt
babo wrote:
everyone laughing at gogameguru dont even know when baduktv can trick them into tell plan and get all of customer^^. so naive show baduktv tol make website and give for freeadvertise from webste now badutkv make even better best in world websitehttp://www.baduktv.kr/baduk/user/main and soon will have all of custmer. myfriend work at baduktv already told me a gogamegru can even compete because it is only 1 or2 people and baduktv is whole building people. now gogameguru islook idiot for being trick and all poeple will laugh and go away form them. dont buy from them loserget first and best baduk website http://www.baduktv.kr/baduk/user/userRegister 5$ only^^

Is this real life? Or is it just fantasy?

This guy actually registered to write this?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next