It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Don making sure GD posts preserved; "fully supports" L19
Post #41 Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:43 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 80
Was liked: 62
Don wrote:
Heads up guys, I'm closing GoDiscussions down today and will be providing Adrian with a copy of the database that I just created.

Thanks again for being willing to hand over the reigns, as well as a copy of the db. That is an awesome gesture. And just saw from the site you are including the product review db. Awesome.

Thanks for it all, Don. We appreciate what you did, and what you've done. :D

Post #42 Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:54 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 139
Was liked: 111
GD Posts: 209
KGS: Marcus316
Thank you, Don, for hosting through the years and passing the torch so gracefully.

Post #43 Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:22 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 110
Was liked: 155
GD Posts: 1190
KGS: apetresc
IGS: apetresc
OGS: apetresc
Universal go server handle: apetresc
I've received the latest database dump from Don and backed it up :)

Thanks!

Post #44 Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:00 am 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
So how do readers here access this archive?

Post #45 Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:18 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 115
Was liked: 102
KGS: LiKao / Loki
Can you at least make gd.com point to this website until you've finished importing the archive?

Post #46 Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:37 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 41
Was liked: 97
GD Posts: 351
DrStraw wrote:
So how do readers here access this archive?

I'm interested in the answer to this question as well. :) GD.com accumulated a wealth of information, photos and exchanges over the years that together make a great resource and reference.

Post #47 Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:50 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 162
Was liked: 15
Universal go server handle: betterlife
Any news about the archive? Are there plans to make godiscussions accessible in some way? :-?

Post #48 Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:49 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 115
Was liked: 102
KGS: LiKao / Loki
And what happened to the domain?

Post #49 Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:00 pm 
Site Admin

Liked others: 18
Was liked: 121
Universal go server handle: Jordus
Sorry for the lack of status updates. We had originally been waiting for the GIT stuff to be finished. Now that it has been done, it is being discussed about how to best implement the database. Rest assured that we have not forgotten about it.

Post #50 Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:23 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 67
Was liked: 10
GD Posts: 138
Thanks for the update & all the effort that's going into this (and L19).

A comment/request: (forgive me if this has been mentioned above or is just blindingly obvious)

It would be great if this could be done in a way that e.g. The links from Sensei's Library to GoDiscussions still work. I guess keeping the domain would be expensive (?) so maybe this is something to coordinate with SL? Would it be easy to do an SL-wide edit changing all GD links to the archive you'll be setting up?

In any case, I'd like to suggest setting up the archive to make the above as easy as possible (i.e. if possible, have godiscussions.com/blah available at lifein19x19.com/wherever-the-archive-is/blah).

Post #51 Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:27 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
I believe that it's easy to find links to godiscussions from sensei's (http://www.google.com/search?q=link:god ... rt=10&sa=N), unless this search leaves things out.

How difficult it would be to change the links would depend on the details of how godiscussions was archived. It could be an hour of two of low-key work, or a huge pain in the butt.

Post #52 Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:40 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 162
Was liked: 15
Universal go server handle: betterlife
Jordus wrote:
Sorry for the lack of status updates. We had originally been waiting for the GIT stuff to be finished. Now that it has been done, it is being discussed about how to best implement the database. Rest assured that we have not forgotten about it.

2 More monthes and no access to godiscussions.com! :grumpy:

Couldn't you give yourself a deadline? If you say it will be done in the next two months then i will check back in two monthes and if nothing is done i won't bother anymore.

Btw. is there a possiblity to get the db-dump? I could install it on my homeserver for private use ...

Post #53 Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:22 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 72
GD Posts: 1165
KGS: Dogen
FWIW, I've just migrated a forum for a charity I help out. The old forum software couldn't be used any more, so I set up a phpBB forum. Someone I know with excellent database-fu managed to create a browsable and searchable access to the archives with just a few hours's work....

Post #54 Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:07 pm 
Site Admin

We are in the implementing phase... We have a test server up and are working on getting it up and running... rest assured we haven't forgotten about it, and are pushing to get this done as soon as we can. You guys have been more than patient with us and we thank you for that.

And for anyone with computer experience, keep in mind this entire project is all done, non-profit, by people volunteering their time and effort. If you think you can help and would like to, please don't be shy and let us know...

Post #55 Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:32 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
Please do not preserve my content from my previous GD books threads as I plan to put it on my blog.

Post #56 Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:34 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 105
GD Posts: 600
Jordus wrote:
You guys have been more than patient with us and we thank you for that.
I suppose *we* should thank *you* for implementing this. Being patient is not a difficult job. I think as go player we all have learned this at least a little bit ;-)

Post #57 Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:01 am 
Site Admin

UPDATE:
Since we have hit New years and in a few short weeks, the one year anniversary of L19, I thought I should share the current status of this project.

We have had a couple different types of attempts at trying to get the database available to read. We have run into some issues, wither it be overwhelmingly busy schedules not allowing for time to work on the project, or just problems plain old stumping us.

After dabbling for many hours the past weeks myself (my experience with sql and php is not at the highest level), I have been unable to get the database implemented into a short list of other forums that can convert from a Vbulletin backup, or even a different version of Vbulletin that I had access to. The issue with trying to convert to another forum is that the database is corrupt (one reason GD had so many issues at the end) so the converters will not work. The Vbulletin software version I had did not work correctly either... Perhaps if someone had access to the version the database came from.. vbulletin 3.8.5 it might work?

Otherwise anyone who thinks they may be able to bypass the issues with the converters on other forum types or be able to extract the data into a read only format let me know.

There is a wealth of information there that I am sure many of us would like to go through. Hopefully we will be able to access it soon. I haven't yet quit my attempts either, but I am not sure if I will ever be able to surpass this wall I have run into anytime in the near future.

Post #58 Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:15 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
Jordus wrote:
UPDATE:
Since we have hit New years and in a few short weeks, the one year anniversary of L19, I thought I should share the current status of this project.

We have had a couple different types of attempts at trying to get the database available to read. We have run into some issues, wither it be overwhelmingly busy schedules not allowing for time to work on the project, or just problems plain old stumping us.

After dabbling for many hours the past weeks myself (my experience with sql and php is not at the highest level), I have been unable to get the database implemented into a short list of other forums that can convert from a Vbulletin backup, or even a different version of Vbulletin that I had access to. The issue with trying to convert to another forum is that the database is corrupt (one reason GD had so many issues at the end) so the converters will not work. The Vbulletin software version I had did not work correctly either... Perhaps if someone had access to the version the database came from.. vbulletin 3.8.5 it might work?

Otherwise anyone who thinks they may be able to bypass the issues with the converters on other forum types or be able to extract the data into a read only format let me know.

There is a wealth of information there that I am sure many of us would like to go through. Hopefully we will be able to access it soon. I haven't yet quit my attempts either, but I am not sure if I will ever be able to surpass this wall I have run into anytime in the near future.

Is there any chance that the backup file(s) could be hosted somewhere. I am not guaranteeing anything in the slightest, but I'm likely to look at a backup file and see how much work it's likely to be ...

This post by topazg was liked by 2 people: betterlife, Dusk Eagle

Post #59 Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:13 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 21
I saw that the GD database still hasn't been implemented so I have turned on the archive feature of vBulletin to allow browsing of the old content.

Here's the link:
http://www.godiscussions.com/forum/archive/index.php

It's not perfect, but it's an option until the mods here can resolve the tech issues.

This post by Don was liked by 14 people: betterlife, Bill Spight, Chew Terr, cyclops, daal, hilltopgo, imabuddha, ketchup, Marcus, Perception, Phelan, Recusant, rubin427, xed_over

Post #60 Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:20 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 213
Was liked: 96
GD Posts: 325
Out of curiosity: How can the database be corrupt? Software error in VBulletin software? Hardware problem with database server?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next