It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: The new OGS
Post #1 Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:17 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 25
Was liked: 58
Online-Go.com has joined forces with Nova.gs to bring to the Go community a state of the art web based go server! Here you'll be able to play both correspondence and live games, perform reviews in real time, voice chat with other players or spectators, and a whole lot more!

In addition to being an excellent place to play Go, OGS now has several features for Groups of players. So whether you have a local go club, an online study group, or just a group of friends, you can use OGS groups to create yourself a private forum, chat room, organize your members, and best of all run group tournaments and group ladders!

The already great tournament system of OGS had has been improved and extended, bringing in several options for tournament structures, controls, an advanced pairing algorithm, as well as adding the capability for users to create their own tournaments through the group interface. Additionally, we will be adding much better support for real time tournaments, automated tournaments, and some additional tournament structures in the near future.

While our core go server services (playing, reviewing, and running tournaments) will be ever evolving, we will also be focusing a lot on services, tools, and content for the Go community at large, so whether you choose to play here or at one of the many other excellent go servers out there, we hope to provide you with some interesting useful things in the near future, so stay tuned!

This merger marks a major accomplishment for all of us here and it wouldn't have been possible without the guidance and support of countless people throughout the community. Our sincere thanks goes out to all that have given us feedback, thoughts, ideas, bug reports, translations, media, moral support, and so much more. We aim to repay this help ten fold by giving back to the community an ever increasingly amazing site for Go players and by growing and enriching the Go community overall.

Thanks from all of us at online-go.com and nova.gs!

Full bulletin: http://online-go.com/news/8

This post by anoek was liked by 9 people: betterlife, Boidhre, Bonobo, daal, Dusk Eagle, lobotommy, macelee, matburt, rhubarb

Post subject: Re: The new OGS
Post #2 Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:57 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
Congratulations on the surprising coup, and good luck!

This post by daal was liked by: betterlife

Post #3 Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:50 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 162
Was liked: 15
Universal go server handle: betterlife
And the features i really was looking for on OGS suddenly got implemented, this is really a great turn around! May OGS prosper and have many many many members in the future!!! :clap:

Post #4 Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:11 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 11
KGS: oiseaux
Kaya handle: oiseaux
This is great news. anoek, matburt, this was a good move and it's so exciting to see Nova's playerbase double overnight. Looking forward to the future!

Post #5 Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:39 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 378
Was liked: 375
Wow, I was thinking it would be cool if there could be integration between the two sites, but I didn't see this coming. This is great news!

No understanding of what is now, no knowledge of what will be.

Post #6 Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:20 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
:clap:

It occurs to me that I should have seen this coming. A few weeks ago, I got a game notification from nova concerning one of my OGS games. But while I wondered if nova was somehow monitoring OGS, I didn't think of the obvious.

Post #7 Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:18 am 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
I have never used OGS but it sounds like a good place. What does it have to offer which I cannot get from my KGS and DGS accounts?

Post #8 Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:28 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
OGS had a few nice features that weren't available on DGS, including conditional moves, popup analysis, a javascript based replay mode, etc. I started using OGS, and soon stopped using DGS.

Post #9 Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:46 am 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Folks, I’m … speechless, this is so amazing.

In a world where everybody is competing and fighting to be “better than the other”, you get together and join forces can’t remember when I’ve seen something like this. RESPECT! And thank you!

Greetz, Tom

Post #10 Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:21 am 
Oza

Liked others: 662
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: Boidhre
DrStraw wrote:
I have never used OGS but it sounds like a good place. What does it have to offer which I cannot get from my KGS and DGS accounts?

User created tournaments were the most interesting thing for me. You can pick a format, then set strength limits, and tournaments usually fill up very quickly (unless you set 5d+ :P). Then there were "title tournaments" which were organised by the site, massive McMahon Tournaments and similar.

It makes things a bit more interesting if you enjoy some competitive play, especially with invitation tournament between groups of friends who no longer live near each other and similar.

Post #11 Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:27 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 10
Was liked: 33
Universal go server handle: dfunkt
oiseaux wrote:
This is great news. anoek, matburt, this was a good move and it's so exciting to see Nova's playerbase double overnight. Looking forward to the future!

Double? The player base increased by a factor of 25. :)

Post #12 Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:31 am 
Lives in gote

Was liked: 128
I think nova doesn't have an android client yet, while OGS had one?
It might have been smart to wait until there was such a client in order to not alienate that part of the OGS userbase.

Also, for OGS users: the scoring system on nova currently requires filling dame (or marking dame in the scoring phase) for a correct calculation of the score.

I like the general idea behind the merge and hope people will start playing live games regularly on nova, now.

However, nova was de facto a correspondence server since the start, as nobody played live games there.
Now you have migrated the userbase of an *actual* correspondence server to nova, in order (I presume at least) to increase live games.
So even though there are now approx. 300 users online currently, there are only 2 live games being played (by ddks).
For example ladders on nova are still *correspondence only*. It would be really great to have some sort of "live" ladder system.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if nova can get away from being "yet another correspondence go server".

And lastly, blurring the distinction between correspondence and live games might be an issue when it comes to players' ranks. I, for example, am 6k on OGS (and now nova), simply because I could never be bothered to play enough rated games there just to "update" my rating.

I think a lot of other people on OGS have "outdated" ranks. Maybe people will start making seperate accounts for live games and correspondence games, we will have to see.

Post #13 Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:22 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 378
Was liked: 375
I believe anoek and matburt plan on releasing an open beta android client later this week.

No understanding of what is now, no knowledge of what will be.

Post #14 Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:38 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
leichtloeslich wrote:
I guess we'll have to wait and see if nova can get away from being "yet another correspondence go server".

This!

For me, the biggest part of Nova which deterred me was the lack of RT games - since I don't really do correspondence. The merger seems to strengthen the 'correspondence' aspect of the server, while it remains to be seen if it has done anything to change the RT situation. With larger user base, there should be also more RT games, but the user base got increased by adding a whole bunch of accounts which rather play correspondence (thus they were OGS users to begin with), so not sure.

For example: I just logged in, and from the 5000+ games (nice!), only one was RT, and that was a 9x9 game.

But time will tell...

Post #15 Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:50 am 
Oza

Remember though Bantari, Real Time games on Nova can be set up as Correspondence. Due to the auto update on the page of moves, you can set up a game where you're playing real time when you're both logged on or correspondence when you're not. Most of my correspondence games on there have played mostly at real time speed. I'm usually playing people I know and they poke me on Skype or whatever so we can get some moves in.

Post #16 Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:57 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
Boidhre wrote:
Remember though Bantari, Real Time games on Nova can be set up as Correspondence. Due to the auto update on the page of moves, you can set up a game where you're playing real time when you're both logged on or correspondence when you're not. Most of my correspondence games on there have played mostly at real time speed. I'm usually playing people I know and they poke me on Skype or whatever so we can get some moves in.

Oh, I did not know that.
So when I sort the games by time, and the times says 1week+1day it can actually be a RT game?

In any case - all the best to Nova or OGS or both (whichever is appropriate.)
I would still love to see some interface improvements though.

Post #17 Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:05 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 17
Was liked: 17
we've had dozens of live games just this morning alone. I think part of the problem was that OGS just didn't have an interface to play live games and nova didn't have the users. now that we've solved both of those problems it becomes less of an issue.

you almost can't pick up a live challenge right now they are accepted so fast.

Post #18 Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:39 am 
Oza

Bantari wrote:
Boidhre wrote:

Oh, I did not know that.
So when I sort the games by time, and the times says 1week+1day it can actually be a RT game?

In any case - all the best to Nova or OGS or both (whichever is appropriate.)
I would still love to see some interface improvements though.

It's that if the time says 1 week + 1 day, if the players want, it can be played at real time speed. I mean that, you can't know from looking at the time settings what speed the game is actually being played at here due to the hybrid system. I imagine the majority of games would be played at correspondence speed though for the most part.

Post #19 Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:54 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
Now I only need you add a RewriteRule to send http://online-go.com/games/mygames.php to the current game list (can't find it, since I just moved in all my games.) :D

Also... Is it possible to mark on-screen the two previous moves by number (or dot)? In "OGS" I used to quickly tap back and forth moves to see what I moved (I easily forget my intention with a move) to decide what my next move should be. In Nova tapping back-and-forth enables analyse mode, which requires an extra tap to get back into the game. Seeing the last two moves solves the problem without changing how the UI works, which is always interesting ;)

Post #20 Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:03 pm 
Lives in gote

Was liked: 128
Boidhre wrote:
It's that if the time says 1 week + 1 day, if the players want, it can be played at real time speed. I mean that, you can't know from looking at the time settings what speed the game is actually being played at here due to the hybrid system.

I think it's you (or anyone else making a similar argument) that is missing that go is a competitive game, and the time setting is part of the competition.

Basically your idea works in the social context of people who know each other (comparable to a game in a go club, where clocks usually aren't needed). However, to have a lot of people play go against each other anonymously and competitively, you need to assume that both players want to win the game, and will use the time setting to their advantage.

On that note, a lot of games on OGS (before the merger) were actually played as you describe it, with many moves being played in a single session in quick succession. That didn't make those games "real time", since when a tricky tactical situation cropped up, each player could have stopped to think thoroughly, which would have been impossible in 10s blitz, for example.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next