It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: The new OGS
Post #121 Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:38 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 180
Was liked: 151
GD Posts: 422
KGS: komi
Charlie wrote:
Quite often, I will open a board without issue and be punted to the obtuse login screen when I try to place a stone.

That sounds pretty annoying, but has never happened to me. I'm playing about 20 concurrent correspondence games at the moment. I wonder if this can be explained by browser discrepancies, or browser settings (I'm using vanilla Firefox).

Post #122 Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:28 am 
Lives in sente

The way reddit.com does it is very nice, recommend that OGS adopt something like this.

Attachment:
signinlogon.png
signinlogon.png [ 149.8 KiB | Viewed 6450 times ]

Post #123 Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:46 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Or this...

Attachments:
ogs.png
ogs.png [ 170.75 KiB | Viewed 6444 times ]

This post by Uberdude was liked by: RBerenguel

Post #124 Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:39 am 
Lives in sente

Uberdude that could work, but there's some uncertainties, for instance, should I type my email address in every time I login? Perhaps the answer is obvious to you or me, but not necessarily to everyone. Does the optionality of the email address apply to the registration or the login? In my opinion, the reddit approach is much clearer and less ambiguous, and has the bonus of being easier to code.

Post #125 Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:30 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 272
Was liked: 126
Best would be to allow users to enter an email and password and never type their username. If they click "login", the system already knows it. If they click "register", they can pick a username when they confirm their email address... which is, I presume, the next step anyway.

Post #126 Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:09 am 
Judan

@quantumf: true

@Charlie: but there is not a one-to-one correspondence between email address and username.

Post #127 Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:59 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 75
Was liked: 58
I keep playing on OGS from time to time and enjoy especially the numerous fast tournament options. Its also fun that often non-handicap games even with high rank differences are played. There are however still some weird things appearing to me, maybe I just didn't get it and/or someone knows about a workaround...?
  • If I get a game challenge (I'm only speaking of live games), it is often difficult to notice as it just appears in the notice section at upper right side (the blue circle with the number in it). If there are already other unread notes (such as "game XY has started / stopped" etc.), it may be tricky to recognize game challenges in time.
  • Game challenges seem to prevail even if the opponent already has logged out. It sometimes happens that I click on a game challenge and my opponent does not appear and does not seem being online at all. Since I don't want waiting till the end of the clock, I have to cancel the game by myself. After this action the system gives me a "2 minutes penalty" for cancellation which means I have to wait 2 minutes before I can accept another game. This really feels strange.
  • When I pick up a game, the opponent's clock obviously immediately starts to run even if he is not yet in the game room. In fast tournaments, often 30 seconds or more are gone for my opponent until he manages to join the game.
  • Also, if I click on an open game request, the opponent seems not to have any possibility for a final confirmation. He has to live with it. Sometimes, the opponents don't want to play me, even if I fit into their open game request. In such cases they often just let the clock run (with me having to cancel and getting my "2 minutes" again... :scratch: ).
  • Just a minor glitch - upon score counting it seems that the clock of the last player is continuing to count down. It doesn't seem to hurt but feels a bit strange.
  • Game scoring feels a bit awkward. I recently had a game with two very large seki and it was a pain in the XX - I'm still not sure if this game was scored correctly after all. A brief pop-up documentation on where to click in case of seki and what's the difference between 'strict counting' and normal counting might be helpful. On other servers game scoring feels much more straight-forward. But maybe it's only me... :-?
  • I like the interface and the tournaments quite a lot, on the other hand there are still comparably few players online and games going on (around 50-60 at typical European evening times, on IGS it's around 200 at the same time, similar for KGS). I suspect that this is to a big fraction thanks to the OGS rankings, which seem all by 4-5 stones too low compared with most other ranking systems. For me it's not a big deal, but players which e.g. start with their usual KGS ranking without knowing about OGS specifics are having a hard time and may get frustrated with OGS too early. I have seen a couple of OGS accounts which look familiar to me from KGS who have only played a couple of OGS games (with their rating curve going almost straight down from their initial setting) and then remained inactive.

This post by schawipp was liked by: anoek

Post #128 Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:15 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
schawipp, I’m afraid that this here is not the best place to discuss these things — I think the OGS forum might be a better place since the OGS moderators and lots of other knowledgeable users read it, and also the chance that anoek and matburt, the developers, notice your comments is a lot higher. Yes, I know, yet another forum, but I understand OGS’s need to have a place of their own to discuss such topics.

Just a thought.

<edit>

And then there’s the uservoice for suggestions and feature requests http://ogs.uservoice.com/forums/277766- ... e-requests (NOT for bug reports, these would better be in the support or developer section of the OGS forum)

</edit>

Greetings, Tom

Post #129 Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:52 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 10
Was liked: 33
Universal go server handle: dfunkt
Bonobo wrote:
here is not the best place to discuss these things

I think this is exactly the right place to discuss go servers and anything else go related.

This post by dfunkt was liked by: Charlie

Post #130 Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:58 am 
Judan

dfunkt wrote:
Bonobo wrote:
here is not the best place to discuss these things

I think this is exactly the right place to discuss go servers and anything else go related.

Well, yes if you want to discuss it with a wide range of people, compare it with other servers, let non-OGS people know about the progress of OGS etc. But if it's more a bug report of things you want fixed then it makes sense to do it in the OGS channels for such things. (Of course you can do both).

This post by Uberdude was liked by 2 people: Boidhre, Bonobo

Post #131 Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:54 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 75
I made a post with essentially my above list in the OGS support forum. Let's see if they get mad about me... ;-)

This post by schawipp was liked by: Bonobo

Post #132 Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:04 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 25
schawipp wrote:
I made a post with essentially my above list in the OGS support forum. Let's see if they get mad about me... ;-)

Why would we get mad about it? :) We do actually read all of those - we're a bit backlogged at the moment and both have some family stuff taking up a bit of our time, but we do appreciate them and a lot of what you bring up is known and we do intend to fix and improve as time permits.

This post by anoek was liked by 2 people: Bantari, Bonobo

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7