It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: www.Ootakamoku.com - Modern fuseki practice.
Post #161 Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:07 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
Likely bug report: in what seems to be a new feature, I get zoom-in in tsumego. But clicking on a spot gets detected somewhere else (iPad, mobile safari). See attachment, I clicked the kosumi more or less, in the middle of the eye shape

Edit:bug solved, so. I removed the image

Last edited by RBerenguel on Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #162 Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:42 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 63
Universal go server handle: Ootakamoku
RBerenguel wrote:
Likely bug report: in what seems to be a new feature, I get zoom-in in tsumego. But clicking on a spot gets detected somewhere else (iPad, mobile safari). See attachment, I clicked the kosumi more or less, in the middle of the eye shape

Thx for pointing it out. Fixed.

This post by Ootakamoku was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, RBerenguel

Post #163 Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:53 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Has something changed with the ranking algorithm recently? I've been using this over the past few weeks (I love this site btw, it's great!) and I've completed a little over 600 problems. I had thought that after doing all of those problems it was starting to hone in on my rank as it stated I was around 12-10 Kyu which is a pretty narrow range. My rank has been around there for a while in ootakamoku, even yesterday when I probably did 80 or so problems.

Today I started doing some problems, and it appears what ever certainty it had about my ranking has been thrown out the window. As I've done some problems today it was showing my rank as 15.5 Kyu and 4.2 Kyu (larger range) and as I completed more it was showing 10.5 Kyu and 4.3 Dan (still a large range).

Just wondering what would have caused something like that. I originally thought maybe I just wasn't logged in which would make sense for the uncertainty of the ranking, but I checked and I am logged in at the top and it is showing the correct number of problems I have completed.

On a complete side note, have you thought about adding a page that would display the leader board of all the users ranks using ootakamoku? It appears you already have all of the data, you would just need to build a view to support it. I would think the leader board could be restricted to only show users that have completed 200+ problems to make it more accurate. Just a thought.

Thanks.

Post #164 Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:12 pm 
Lives with ko

tamathps wrote:
Has something changed with the ranking algorithm recently?
Yes, something changed, tweaking it over the next few days some more. Ranks might fluctuate quite a bit during that time.

tamathps wrote:
n a complete side note, have you thought about adding a page that would display the leader board of all the users ranks using ootakamoku? It appears you already have all of the data, you would just need to build a view to support it. I would think the leader board could be restricted to only show users that have completed 200+ problems to make it more accurate. Just a thought.
I have considered doing it yes, but there are some privacy concerns involved.

Post #165 Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:02 pm 
Lives with ko

Ranks working again. :geek:

Post #166 Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:14 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 55
I just logged in and my rank estimate is between 9.8 Dan and 9.9 Dan, so I suppose it's broken again?

Post #167 Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:15 am 
Lives with ko

uPWarrior wrote:
I just logged in and my rank estimate is between 9.8 Dan and 9.9 Dan, so I suppose it's broken again?

Or maybe your true inner strength has finally been revealed! Thx for pointing out the bug, another fix in place. Taking frustrating amount of work this "simple" piece of code :sad:

Post #168 Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:46 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Ootakamoku wrote:
uPWarrior wrote:

Or maybe your true inner strength has finally been revealed! Thx for pointing out the bug, another fix in place. Taking frustrating amount of work this "simple" piece of code :sad:

Estimating player ability and difficulty of problems is far from simple.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #169 Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:53 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 74
Was liked: 100
Cool site.

The ranking does seem to have some eccentricities. I just got 50 right out of 51 - the one I got wrong may well have appeared in some pro games, since it wasn't marked as an outright error. With each one I got right, the top end of my estimated grade went down. By problem 51, it was at 6.8 kyu to 1.9 dan, which seems low given the amount I got right. The top end started off at around 3.7 dan, and went down with (nearly) every correct answer. (And by problem 67, with no more errors, my top rank had fallen to 1.0 dan.)

Post #170 Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:29 am 
Lives with ko

There were some really messed up tsumego difficulty estimates from earlier version still in the system which caused problems. They should most be already sorted out and the system should work a lot more smoothly now. Please report any continued problems.

Last edited by Ootakamoku on Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #171 Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:25 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 146
Was liked: 81
Online playing schedule: A schedule..? When hell freezes over... maybe. ^^;
I visited a few times already, too, and really liked the idea a lot. Thank you for putting so much work in it, it is a wonderful training method!

Post #172 Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:59 am 
Dies in gote

Location: Granada, Spain | Osaka, Japan | Turku, Finland | Tokyo, Japan
Liked others: 50
Was liked: 22
KGS: Ellyster
Love it!

So far I have a couple of suggestions:

- I prefer not to know the last move, but it can be helpful to allow the user choose if he/she wants to see it (as a hint).
- The option of reseting your ranking would be nice (to recheck your level after a long time with out using it).
- A Profile page where you can check some statistics about you would be helpful (most failed josekis, rank evolution,...).
- Show the other correct answers after guessing it corrrect for a second

- Allowing some joseki exploration will definitively be a good idea (for educative purposes), specially when you fail... you want to see some of the complete sequences (maybe it should be integrated with kogo's joseki diccionary).

Post #173 Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:19 am 
Lives with ko

Ellyster wrote:
- I prefer not to know the last move, but it can be helpful to allow the user choose if he/she wants to see it (as a hint).
I prefer not to make anything configurable unless I absolutely have to. I doubt this is important enough for most users to meet that criteria.

Ellyster wrote:
- The option of reseting your ranking would be nice (to recheck your level after a long time with out using it).
The rank you are shown is based on last ~100 answers you have provided, so just continue doing problems and the rating will update, no need for a reset.

Ellyster wrote:
- A Profile page where you can check some statistics about you would be helpful (most failed josekis, rank evolution,...).
Rank evolution might appear at some point, tho not all that important yet as the ranking algorithm is still under development. More categories will appear in the future, and some of them might be detailed enough to be specific josekis, especially complex ones such as large avalanche.

Ellyster wrote:
Slows down the tempo, wont happen. Yan can click the go back link when you are curious enough.

Ellyster wrote:
- Allowing some joseki exploration will definitively be a good idea (for educative purposes), specially when you fail... you want to see some of the complete sequences (maybe it should be integrated with kogo's joseki diccionary).
To some extent this is already possible, as you can look up the pro game where the position occurred. As looking up josekis, it doesn't make sense because they are can't be viewed in isolation, hence even tho a joseki dictionary might say "this is good variation" it wouldn't be played in the given position because of global consequences. As for linking to kogos of josekidictionary, it might be possible, but would be rather useless for stronger players as the quality of comments there is still not quite good enough.

Post #174 Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:08 am 
Dies in gote

Location: Granada, Spain | Osaka, Japan | Turku, Finland | Tokyo, Japan
Liked others: 50
Was liked: 22
KGS: Ellyster
Ootakamoku wrote:
Ellyster wrote:
I prefer not to make anything configurable unless I absolutely have to. I doubt this is important enough for most users to meet that criteria.

I agree, not configurable is if not necesary is a good design policy. But what about a flag that you can activate or deactivate clicking in a small the link in some corner, like the lights on/off of most of web video players.

Ootakamoku wrote:
Ellyster wrote:
The rank you are shown is based on last ~100 answers you have provided, so just continue doing problems and the rating will update, no need for a reset.

Ok, I see... then I just need to keep playing :) is true that it moves quite fluently.
(I just played 30 times before my last post, now I'm on 190)

Ootakamoku wrote:
Ellyster wrote:
Rank evolution might appear at some point, tho not all that important yet as the ranking algorithm is still under development. More categories will appear in the future, and some of them might be detailed enough to be specific josekis, especially complex ones such as large avalanche.

Sounds nice :)

Ootakamoku wrote:
Ellyster wrote:
Slows down the tempo, wont happen. Yan can click the go back link when you are curious enough.

For me, going back and forward is the thing that is slowing back the tempo (and the most anoying of the web), I go back almost 50% or more of the times... becouse I want to know if all the other alternative moves that I though were valid solutions or not.

Since most of the problems are not single-solvable but multi-solvable I'm really curious about the other options (specially for high-level players, you learn nothing by clicking always the same answer in the same position that you are certain that is playable, but for being exposed to other answers as well)

Ootakamoku wrote:
Ellyster wrote:
To some extent this is already possible, as you can look up the pro game where the position occurred. As looking up josekis, it doesn't make sense because they are can't be viewed in isolation, hence even tho a joseki dictionary might say "this is good variation" it wouldn't be played in the given position because of global consequences. As for linking to kogos of josekidictionary, it might be possible, but would be rather useless for stronger players as the quality of comments there is still not quite good enough.

Well, not exactly a dictionary as a stand-alone on its own, but at least I will be really glad if I could see the full joseki in action/context without the need of going to an external webpage, and look into the all the linked games one by one to find the move that I wanted to learn.

I will add one more suggestion:
- Sequential answer, isntead of giving only one move as an answer give the joseki (variation at your choice) till the end.

Post #175 Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:53 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 55
Ellyster wrote:
Ootakamoku wrote:
Ellyster wrote:

For me, going back and forward is the thing that is slowing back the tempo (and the most anoying of the web), I go back almost 50% or more of the times... becouse I want to know if all the other alternative moves that I though were valid solutions or not.

I would like to add support for this idea. Going back after each fuseki question gets annoying fast.

Post #176 Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:04 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 34
Was liked: 3
Tygem: LuckyJim5
Universal go server handle: LuckyJim
Bump! I love this site. Any news on developments?

Post #177 Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:24 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
I only know it still estimates me to be 9-10 stones stronger (~4k) than my rank is (13k EGF, last tournament mid last year; ~14k on Go servers) … but perhaps I should try with a new account on the servers? :twisted:

BTW and interestingly, this “test” http://play.baduk.org/go-test/start.php also estimated my strength to be around 4k.

Greetings, Tom

Post #178 Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:26 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 28
Was liked: 12
GD Posts: 42
KGS: Nikolas73
DGS: Nikolas73
uPWarrior wrote:

I would like to add support for this idea. Going back after each fuseki question gets annoying fast.

Agreed, just discovered this website and loving it so far but the time spent going back and forth is my only real complaint.

Post #179 Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:10 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 24
Was liked: 2
Nikolas73 wrote:
uPWarrior wrote:

Agreed, just discovered this website and loving it so far but the time spent going back and forth is my only real complaint.

+1

Post #180 Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:55 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 143
Was liked: 218
Universal go server handle: moyoaji
http://www.ootakamoku.com/?ti=5251519326715904

I answered with the High Chinese just to mix things up on this problem (I always answer Low Chinese because that's what I always play) but it said my answer was wrong. :shock:

I understand the High Chinese isn't seen as often as it once was, but to say the High Chinese is wrong in this position makes no sense. Kato Masao 9p would not be happy about this.

-Kageyama Toshiro on proper moves

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next