It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Go4Go is down [back to noraml now]
Post #1 Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:44 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 72
Was liked: 479
KGS: macelee
Go4Go is once again temporarily shut down by the hosting company because of its very heavy traffic, caused by the abuse of users together with another wave of hacking activities.

Attachment:
bw-go4go02.png
bw-go4go02.png [ 13.59 KiB | Viewed 8029 times ]

The circled period of high bandwidth (10 times of my normal traffic) was caused by a single user from WA, USA. I have no choice but to ban this user. I will try to get the service back online as soon as I can.

Last edited by macelee on Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Go4Go is down
Post #2 Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:46 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
Why don't add per-IP/connection traffic throttling? It would solve the most natural sources (not real hacking or dDOS attacks)

Post #3 Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:52 pm 
Lives in sente

RBerenguel wrote:
Why don't add per-IP/connection traffic throttling? It would solve the most natural sources (not real hacking or dDOS attacks)

RBerenguel, thanks for you suggestion. I will look into this. As I said several times before, I prefer to spend my time on creating more contents. Already wasted too many hours dealing with these problems :(

Post #4 Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:05 pm 
Gosei

Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
macelee wrote:
RBerenguel wrote:

RBerenguel, thanks for you suggestion. I will look into this. As I said several times before, I prefer to spend my time on creating more contents. Already wasted too many hours dealing with these problems :(

Yeah, security, debugging, styling... Needed evils :(

Post #5 Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:42 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 21
KGS: Rowen
Tygem: Kotaru
IGS: Rowen
Throttling is a good idea if its available. Should be an open in the backend of your server. I seem to remember something similar when I ran my website a few years ago.

Post #6 Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:32 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
macelee wrote:
caused by a single user from WA, USA.

wasn't me.

Post subject: Re: Go4Go is down - back online now
Post #7 Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:16 pm 
Lives in sente

OK, thanks for your patience. The site is back online now. I was lucky this time to get a very sensible technical support staff to handle my case.

And the spambot appears to be from a single person from just a small number of IP addresses, which was relatively easy to deal with.

This post by macelee was liked by: RBerenguel

Post #8 Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:59 am 
Gosei

macelee wrote:
OK, thanks for your patience. The site is back online now. I was lucky this time to get a very sensible technical support staff to handle my case.

And the spambot appears to be from a single person from just a small number of IP addresses, which was relatively easy to deal with.

Any idea why I can't download an SGF (while logged in) for the most recent Judan preliminary game? It's unlikely to be a quota limit, since I have only downloaded one game from go4go, ever :/

Post #9 Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:19 am 
Lives in sente

RBerenguel wrote:
Any idea why I can't download an SGF (while logged in) for the most recent Judan preliminary game? It's unlikely to be a quota limit, since I have only downloaded one game from go4go, ever :/

RBerenguel, this is the normal behaviour. Many of the preliminary-stage games are marked as not downloadable so people cannot reproduce them too easily in other collections. These games are mainly from major Asian servers - relatively more difficult to get access to. I also have contributors to transcribe many of these from Japanese newspapers (sometimes even from small regional newspapers) - quite some effort. That's how I am able to claim that Go4Go always has the most up-to-date games.

Post #10 Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:50 am 
Gosei

macelee wrote:
RBerenguel wrote:

RBerenguel, this is the normal behaviour. Many of the preliminary-stage games are marked as not downloadable so people cannot reproduce them too easily in other collections. These games are mainly from major Asian servers - relatively more difficult to get access to. I also have contributors to transcribe many of these from Japanese newspapers (sometimes even from small regional newspapers) - quite some effort. That's how I am able to claim that Go4Go always has the most up-to-date games.

Oh, I thought it was this reason, but wasn't sure. Fair enough, I can see it online (it's just that I have big fingers and JS viewers have small buttons)

Post subject: Re: Go4Go is down [back to noraml now]
Post #11 Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:39 am 
Lives in sente

Sorry for the downtime of about 30 minutes earlier. Causes by DDOS attack (sort of, a few hundreds of IPs accessing my home page simultaneously, causing it to run out of memory). Second such attack over the past few weeks.

If this happens again I might need to cache the pages for anonymous access, which will affect user experience.