All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Breaking Past 3 kyu
Post #1 Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:58 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 0
GD Posts: 30
KGS: Hiraki
Hey everybody, I've been stuck at 3k for quite a while now and I want to escape the kyu realm. I was thinking of getting "Graded Go Problems for Dan Players: Life and Death" (probably the tesuji one too) and working through that, and starting an account with a hidden rank so I can play without rank stress. Any advice?

Post subject: Re: Breaking Past 3 kyu
Post #2 Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:16 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 505
KGS: magicwand
Tygem: magicwand
Wbaduk: rlatkfkd
DGS: magicwand
OGS: magicwand
Hiraki wrote:
Hey everybody, I've been stuck at 3k for quite a while now and I want to escape the kyu realm. I was thinking of getting "Graded Go Problems for Dan Players: Life and Death" (probably the tesuji one too) and working through that, and starting an account with a hidden rank so I can play without rank stress. Any advice?

play someone strong. that is the best medicine.

Words by neil peart, music by geddy lee and alex lifeson

Post #3 Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:57 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 23
Was liked: 86
GD Posts: 104
Magicwand wrote:

Definitely. Also, review your games with stronger players.

I do not think that turning off the rank feature will help. Just focus on improving your game, not your rank.

If you want to do Go problems, another ideae is to try to do ALL the easy (30k-5k) problems on http://www.goproblems.com. I did this just to improve my problem completion percentage, but doing all those easy problems definitely helped me. Also, the "solutions" are sometimes wrong or incomplete, especially on new problems, so you have to read thoroughly and accept your own judgment.

Post #4 Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:28 pm 
Beginner

Peter Hansmeier wrote:
Magicwand wrote:

Definitely. Also, review your games with stronger players.

I do not think that turning off the rank feature will help. Just focus on improving your game, not your rank.

If you want to do Go problems, another ideae is to try to do ALL the easy (30k-5k) problems on http://www.goproblems.com. I did this just to improve my problem completion percentage, but doing all those easy problems definitely helped me. Also, the "solutions" are sometimes wrong or incomplete, especially on new problems, so you have to read thoroughly and accept your own judgment.

So that's all it took for you guys to reach dan? Everybody makes it sound so simple after they achieve it :-|

Post #5 Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:44 pm 
Tengen

Hiraki wrote:
So that's all it took for you guys to reach dan? Everybody makes it sound so simple after they achieve it :-|

it is simple. if you know basic shape and etc etc.. you will be 1dan.
it took me only 1 year to get to reach 1dan. since then 20 years later i am only 4dan.

1) memorize basic joseky (also think about each move and what it means)
2) play game and review. (preferably dan level strong player)
3) study Life and Death problem. (this is very important because it will teach you basic shape)
4) play more game and review.

i am sure you can reach sdk in few month. (possibly low sdk)

Post #6 Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:51 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
Magicwand wrote:
it is simple. if you know basic shape and etc etc.. you will be 1dan.

While I generally agree with you on this point, i think you make it sound too simplistic.
Its like a pro could probably say 'Get a good understanding of the basics, and you will be 1P. Easy.'

Didn't Kageyama said something to that effect? That the difference between pros and amas was deeper understanding of the basics? It has been years since I looked at all the books, lol...

Post #7 Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:51 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 137
Was liked: 155
Magicwand wrote:
Hiraki wrote:

play someone strong, probably translates in don't avoid handicap games.

what else i found useful:

try not to rely on tricks and traps in the opening (as specially prepared openings etc.), but to learn each game.

from all the books i read the last years, fujisawa shuko tesuji dictionary (i have only the first part) was the only book which really made itself felt instantly. while improving reading skills is all fine, this book gave me an idea what sequences i can look out for. and i was stuck at about the same level for some years.

don't start an account with a hidden rank but play only rated games (and get used to being demoted once in a while.)

good luck
tapir

ps @magicwand "i am sure you can reach sdk in few month. (possibly low sdk)" is probably not very encouraging for a 3kyu isn't it?

Post #8 Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:30 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 28
Was liked: 65
KGS: Numsgil
If you've plateaued (and there does seem to be a common plateau at 3/4 kyu from stats I've seen of strength distribution) it probably means there's something fundamental about the game you still don't understand or apply well. There's also supposed to be a plateau around 6k or so, and from what I can tell playing online, it probably has to do with learning basic strategy pitfalls to avoid. eg: don't let yourself get enclosed, don't create more than 1 weak group, don't invade when a reduction will do so you can keep sente, etc.

I'm obviously not the person to ask about the 3k barrier, but I think I heard once for many people it involves properly understanding when to keep sente and when to take a large gote point. Like every time you take gote when you could have taken sente it's half a handicap stone.

That said, I think it's possible to get to 1 Dan just being awesome at tactical fighting and life and death (witness Monte Carlo go playing programs), so if that's what you enjoy, go for it that way.

Post #9 Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:02 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 124
Was liked: 46
Magicwand wrote:
Hiraki wrote:

Also being stuck at 3k, I have the same questions. About playing someone strong though, does it still count if it's with handicap stones? It's certainly more fun that way!

Post #10 Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:23 am 
Tengen

Jedo wrote:
Magicwand wrote:
Hiraki wrote:

Also being stuck at 3k, I have the same questions. About playing someone strong though, does it still count if it's with handicap stones? It's certainly more fun that way!

i didnt say not to play handycapped game. i just said to play someone strong.
reason why you want to play someone strong is that they will usually play a move that is correct and logical and not an over play.
they will attack you correctly. they will defend their weak group(or attack you first to defend themselves). they will wait till they get strong. and more.

which means you will learn from him how to attack, defend, vital points, end game, ect.
weak players do not have such characteristic.

Post #11 Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:25 am 
Beginner

hah, thanks for all the input everybody

Post #12 Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:00 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 193
Was liked: 21
KGS: Azumi93
Online playing schedule: When I am in a mood for Go :D
Good luck with that! When you reach 40, calls us with your result :)