It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: An Appreciation of Go (Marcus' Study Journal)
Post #21 Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:53 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 51
Was liked: 192
KGS: Str1fe, Midorisuke
comments!

Last edited by Shaddy on Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #22 Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:55 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 546
Was liked: 173
GD Posts: 264
KGS: Chew
Shaddy doesn't need SGF output, he sees the matrix directly. =)

Post #23 Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:11 pm 
Lives in sente

whoops, haha. fixed.

Post #24 Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:24 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 139
Was liked: 111
GD Posts: 209
KGS: Marcus316
Thanks for the comments, Shaddy! I do seem to take gote (and tiny moves) a little too often. Gonna have to work on fixing that.

Post #25 Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:08 pm 
Gosei

So, I've been an active go player in the ASR League this past month, squeaking into the Beta level. My Beta class, Beta II, is incredibly active. Also, in Beta, instead of being at or near top strength (like in Gamma), I'm closer to the middle. I'm getting to play a number of good games with strong players.

As for getting stronger, I think I'm doing well in that department. I'm more or less a solid 3k now on KGS, and I have set a goal for November: 1k by the end of November.

How will I do this? Well, I'm going to play a lot. I'm going to review my games ... but most of all, I'm going to have fun! ;)

I'll post some interesting tidbits from some of my games a bit later ...

Post #26 Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:57 pm 
Gosei

I'm back! At least, somewhat.

What happened? Well, internet in general was taking over my life. So, I cut all extraneous internet use in my life out for a month. Now, I'm phasing some stuff back in ... but I won't be nearly as active as I was. So, my improvement will be even slower.

That doesn't mean I can't have some fun! Look at this recent game. I admit, I won because my opponent made a mistake and seemed to tilt. Also, there's nothing really impressive to highlight. However, I played "Big Moyo" as my game strategy ... and it didn't go too badly. Playing a style so much different from what I usually play seems to have helped me slow down and really LOOK at the board in this game. Plus, thinking about the game from a new angle can be fun, too! Take a quick glance through, if you have a bit of time:

Post #27 Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:53 pm 
Gosei

I have reached 2k on KGS!

Not that my play is very consistent. Sometimes I feel like my play has gotten much stronger ... other times I feel like I'm still so weak ... sometimes I feel both in the same game!

This most recent game is a good example. My opening feels like I don't have any plan. Some highlights of things that seem wrong in my own play:

a) I abandon my lower left attacking stone at :b7: (not in and of itself an issue) then go back and try to extract it at :b13:, after White has added a third move in the lower left.

b) I jump into a cramped space with :b37:, abandoning yet another single stone.

c) What kind of aji keshi move is :b87: ????

d) Move 115 ... no words to describe how I feel about that one.

Still, a win is a win. This is just another game for me to review, looking for improvements.

Post #28 Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:53 am 
Lives in sente

A review:

This post by Shaddy was liked by: Chew Terr

Post #29 Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:07 am 
Gosei

Thank you for the review, Shaddy! It's much appreciated.

Post #30 Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:43 pm 
Gosei

I think I'll resurrect this journal ... I'm finally taking a bit more time to play, and I might take some time to study some more.

To update those who might be interested (maybe there are one or two floating around the borads ...):

My time has always been limited. I don't have the time to devote for study like so many others who have reached my level. Nor do I have much in the way of monetary resources to spend on Tsumego books or Lessons. I have no Go club (though I know of a couple I might be able visit if I weren't working all the time).

This was all true the last time I updated this. Couple new things: I have a second child on the way, which has meant some more planning, and less time (child was at least a planned event, so it's not like this is a surprise). Also, work has been extra crappy this past year, so I'm squeezed in that direction as well.

So, Go ... my attitude has shifted a bit ... I'm enjoying the games I play more, but my play has devolved significantly from my peak performance ... I am now 4k on KGS, which is my typical measuring bar for rank (I play zero in-person games; no time to do so). I also play a lot of games on DGS (5/6k on there).

Got a bit of time back into my schedule recently, so I'm going to try this whole studying things again. I'm a poor student, though. I don't stick to regimens and tend to fall back on just playing for fun.

I'll never be truly strong! But that doesn't mean I won't continue to learn. Go is fun!

What's on the menu this time? I haven't decided yet. I'll post again soon! (I hope ...)

This post by Marcus was liked by: stalkor

Post #31 Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:43 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 26
Was liked: 22
KGS: Mnemonic, dude13
Hey, hey, hey, what's this? You aren't spending a significant proportion of your day on go? Who the hell do you think you are? A grownup? (sarcasm)

First off, you beat that (censored, but something evil) Kirby. Second: If I am better than you by the end of the Temovich game HELL is going to rain down on you! (this is my way of encouraging you ;)) The least you can do is crush the bjesus out of redundant (I think this is an official malkovich declaration) Image

This post by Mnemonic was liked by: robinz

Post #32 Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:25 pm 
Gosei

I guess it's all about reading. I just played this game. I'm quite happy with the game overall, but the final ladder was a good bit of reading. The game also brought my volatile rank back up to 3k. :mrgreen:

For those who want some practice, stop at move 146 and try to read it out:

Post #33 Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:53 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
Ha ha ha, nice one! =) Good catch! (With focus to the situation, I could also read it out - yay!)

Post #34 Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:35 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 28
Was liked: 65
KGS: Numsgil
I was able to read it out fairly easily, except knowing there was an answer helped a lot. If I saw that in the game, I might not read past 153 or so where the obvious ladder continuation (the other atari) just doesn't work (hope that's not a spoiler).

But yeah, that reminds me of the chapter in "Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go" where he says ladders are the gateway to deeper reading since they don't branch at all so it's just a matter of visualization. This one is rather long, but it also doesn't really branch so I'd say most high SDKs should have no trouble reading it out with the knowledge that the ladder works.

You might consider posting it to goproblems.com.

Post #35 Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:37 pm 
Lives in sente

I was disappointed when the lower left didn't die. The ladder was pretty cool though, I might have missed that in a game.

Post #36 Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:50 am 
Gosei

Shaddy wrote:
I was disappointed when the lower left didn't die. The ladder was pretty cool though, I might have missed that in a game.

Yeah, I wanted to kill the group, but I misread how to make the ko in my favour. That's one of the mistakes I went over on my own after the game was over.

Post #37 Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:56 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 193
Was liked: 83
GD Posts: 56
KGS: hopjesvla
Nice catch! Though the game really was already over when white had to live in gote at move 118...

You definitely dominated this game :)

When in doubt, play the most aggressive move

Post #38 Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:57 pm 
Lives in sente

Marcus wrote:
Shaddy wrote:

Yeah, I wanted to kill the group, but I misread how to make the ko in my favour. That's one of the mistakes I went over on my own after the game was over.

There was no ko.

Post #39 Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:58 am 
Gosei

Shaddy wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Shaddy wrote:

There was no ko.

I'm going to revisit this game in a day or two, when I finally have the time to properly evaluate it. Maybe add to my "Go Problems that come up in my games" SGF/DB.

Post #40 Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:25 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 38
Was liked: 35
Cool ladder! I managed to read it out from 146 and was pretty delighted...but I would NEVER see that in a game. :shock:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next