All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Commander vs. kyoku
Post #1 Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:21 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
KGS: Commander 4d
Wbaduk: Patchy 6d
So i was really happy about this game so i thought i'd share it, felt like everything went the way i wanted it to go and then some, feel free to give any comments about b or w's moves.

Post subject: Re: Commander vs. kyoku
Post #2 Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:20 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 43
Was liked: 139
White 14 looks like the sort of move that if I tried in one of my games, the strong players would all be telling me is terrible after I ended up with a weak heavy group. Presumaly it's not a bad move, though, or else mid-dan players wouldn't be playing it. Not that I understand what White's doing, however.

Post #3 Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:23 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 10
Was liked: 16
Lee Sedol once played R8 for :w14: on that exact board. If it's good enough for Lee Sedol it's good enough for me! :salute:

Post #4 Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:24 am 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
Maybe 5Ds see things differently, but I would have played 52 at B17.

Post #5 Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:24 am 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
Fedya wrote:
White 14 looks like the sort of move that if I tried in one of my games, the strong players would all be telling me is terrible after I ended up with a weak heavy group. Presumaly it's not a bad move, though, or else mid-dan players wouldn't be playing it. Not that I understand what White's doing, however.

While they're not using the fastest time limits ever, 1 minute plus 5x30s is certainly blitzish. Don't expect a game of the quality they'd play with a few hours thinking time each. As a result, I wouldn't read too much into this one decision.

Post #6 Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:48 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
Fedya wrote:
White 14 looks like the sort of move that if I tried in one of my games, the strong players would all be telling me is terrible after I ended up with a weak heavy group...

I tend to agree with Fedya. If he had to play in here, a shoulder hit looks better.
I can't find anything wrong with Lee's move either.

Also, I don't like 16. It violates the proverb of "Don't attach to weak stones". I would have played 16 at R12 or R15.

@OP: You played like a mid-dan. But IMHO, white made some plays that were below dan level.

Post #7 Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:27 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Fedya wrote:

The plan of 14 is that black encloses territory at q12 and white can then cover at q9 to build influence that supports the lower side moyo. But black's q9 answer forgoes that territory (and connection to the shimari) to ensure he doesn't fall behind in influence.

Post #8 Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:50 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Fedya wrote:

:w14: is one way of reducing the Black framework. If Black protects, White can follow up at 15, which would be ideal. That's why Black played at 15 first.

But doesn't White have a better play at K-17, especially after the kosumi at 6. It would be the last big play of the opening.

And White did make a heavy group, which Black attacked and then staked out the top side with :b51:. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.