It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hi everyone
Post #1 Posted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:08 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 51
Was liked: 40
Hi everyone - I started playing go a month ago to try to get closer with my dad (he's a Tygem 8/9 Dan lol). I am currently 11k on kgs, and 10k on tygem. I've been looking around this forum for book recommendations, but finally decided to register. My ultimate goal is to beat my dad in an even game, so i guess to reach 9Dan would do the trick ;) Hope to improve alot here!

This post by hl782 was liked by: Bonobo

Post subject: Re: Hi everyone
Post #2 Posted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:29 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 47
Universal go server handle: djllap
Welcome! Sounds like you got quite a journey ahead of you.

Post #3 Posted: Sun May 24, 2015 5:08 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 45
Was liked: 25
Welcome!
That's quite a goal you're setting yourself! Is your dad giving you lessons/playing games with you/reviewing your games? If so, you're very lucky!

Post #4 Posted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:20 pm 
Lives in gote

i play about 2 12-stone handicap games with him on a weekly basis. He's not much of a teacher/reviewer though - just expects me to progress as i continue to play. he did get me some cool korean books though!

Post #5 Posted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:39 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
Oh, nice, that's quite the motivational boost to beat a parent; I speak from experience : D Mine wasn't anywhere as strong but it still was a pretty wild ride until I beat him (in chess that is).

So, good luck! And good books are the first step to bridge the gap : )

This post by SoDesuNe was liked by: hl782

Post #6 Posted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:39 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 18
Was liked: 81
KGS: FanXiping
OGS: slashpine
hl782 wrote:
i play about 2 12-stone handicap games with him on a weekly basis. He's not much of a teacher/reviewer though - just expects me to progress as i continue to play. he did get me some cool korean books though!

Getting to 10k a month after playing is good progress. Getting to 9D is going to take a good while! Perfectly doable, of course, but there's a long road ahead and commitment is required to get to your destination.

If you want to force your dad to take handicap in the end, do the following. In addition to playing games on a regular basis, you should replay pro games and do exercises in life & death, tesuji, joseki, endgame, middle game, and fuseki. Life & death and tesuji are the bread & butter of many a baduk player, so beef up on these! Of course the other categories are important, but in a game of baduk between strong players fights are frequent and sharpening your L&D and tesuji skills will help you to cut through even the most difficult-to-read positions. Of course, the more of these that you do, the better, but as little as 10-15 minutes a day of doing exercises can go a long way to make you a stronger baduk player. As well - and this is VERY important in my experience - replay pro games, move by move, with board + stones, from start to finish. It can be a classical era baduk master such as Hon'inbo Shusaku, Hon'inbo Shuei, or Huang Longshi - a Chinese master from the 17th century - or it can be a modern master such as Lee Chang-ho, Park Jeong-hwan, Naoki Hane, Gu Li, or Kim Ji-seok. The importance of replaying pro games is that you pick up good habits and ideas that you can apply in your own games. In addition, whenever you get the itch to do whole-board exercises, replaying pro games gives you the background info needed to make educated guesses. The more of these that you replay, the better, but 1 or 2 games a day for starters is more than enough. As well, it is best to replay a game record from start to finish, but you can get a lot just from memorizing the first 100 moves out of 100 games. Logan Dixon has posted his pro game collections, in diagram format. viewtopic.php?f=17&t=10643

You appear to have been playing baduk for some time, so replaying games from a diagram should not be too difficult. If diagrams are a bit hard for you at the moment, you can go here for some games in the form of move lists, given as grid coordinates. https://www.facebook.com/groups/123975471017841/

And do not forget good theory books. The concepts presented therein can help you organize all that information picked up through study and practice. Some of the stuff written by Yang Yi-lun 7p is highly recommended. The Fundamental Principles of Go and the Workshop Lectures series are worth reading. These can be purchased at http://www.slateandshell.com .

Well, I hope the above study program proves useful in your case :) Of course you'll be losing a nice number of games against your dad, but with each won and lost game your skill at baduk will grow and so will your relationship with your dad. Constant practice & refinement is the way to success!

This post by tekesta was liked by: hl782

Post #7 Posted: Mon May 25, 2015 2:58 am 
Lives in gote

Thanks for the replies, especially tekesta for such a detailed response. I am very hooked on baduk right now, and I don't think this will be temporary. I wish i had started earlier, not at age 19. I can see this game something i strive to improve upon for the rest of my life.

My current study regime is the following
Monday - Poseok (fuseki), Tuesday - Jungseok (joseki),Wednesday - Haengma (Development? idk how to word this in English...), Thursday - Maek (Tesuji), Friday - L&D, Saturday - Endgame, Sunday - play dad

My dad constantly stresses the importance of haengma - he says it is the key to getting stronger and developing my unique style of play. I couldn't find too many english books regarding it - fortunately I am studying from one of my dad's old books by Cho Hunhyeon. It's quite a treat.

In the meantime, tekesta, do you have any suggestions on how I should approach studying pro games? I've only played for 1 month, so I still cannot fully understand the consequences of my own moves, let alone the pros! Any advice would be appreciated.

Post #8 Posted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:01 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
hl782 wrote:
Haengma (Development? idk how to word this in English...)

We don't really know either. It doesn't really have an equivalent in English. Way of the moving horse?
There aren't many English language books on the subject. You've got a huge advantage over us with access to Korean language books on the subject.
http://senseis.xmp.net/?Haengma

hl782 wrote:
In the meantime, tekesta, do you have any suggestions on how I should approach studying pro games?

There are many, many differing view on how to study Pro games.
I don't think is has to be so complicated. Just take the simple approach and simply observe the flow of the game, the haengma? Struggle to find meaning in their moves. It doesn't really matter if you find the correct reasons, just some reason to help you better see what's going on. Some people use a "guess the next move" approach. I prefer to play out the game from a paper record on a real board (my form of "guess the next move").

I think you dad is right, haengma may be the key.
Plus, I like horsies (from another thread).

Post #9 Posted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:08 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
hl782 wrote:
In the meantime, tekesta, do you have any suggestions on how I should approach studying pro games?

I like to go over them quickly and in large quantity, just from one player (Go Seigen atm) - kind of a subconscious approach. But going over them with good, to the point commentary (not too much variations, diagrams etc) is also very enjoyable for me.

Post #10 Posted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:14 pm 
Lives in gote

my dad describes haengma as local development of stones/groups with correspondence to a global context. he says it is the most important so, I'm taking his word for it.

And Sodesune i'll try that for your advice on pro games. thanks :)