It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The margin of loss is reduced.
Post #1 Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:33 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 18
Was liked: 81
KGS: FanXiping
OGS: slashpine
Below are three games that I played and in each one White opened in a different manner. I tried attacking the White groups as much as possible, but I still have to shake the habit of following my opponent here and there. Also, the program appears to memorize my playing style and so seems to respond better to my moves with each game. Finally, I am trying to leave small-scale moves alone till the right time; I yet have to learn how to use ko threats. Games are listed in order played, from top to bottom. Much obliged in advance for your comments.

Post subject: Re: The margin of loss is reduced.
Post #2 Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:49 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 702
Was liked: 288
KGS: greendemon
Tygem: greendemon
DGS: smaragdaemon
OGS: emeraldemon
Quote:
Also, the program appears to memorize my playing style and so seems to respond better to my moves with each game.

GNU Go does not do this. Also if you are winning consistently with three stones, I think you should move to two. Bill always says "play games where you win 50%" which is good advice I think.

Margin of victory isn't too meaningful in Go, a win by 0.5 is just as good as a win by 20. By the way, I think the first game should be B+14.5, not B+49.5 as it says in the sgf. Either way I don't think you should interpret the slightly smaller win margin to mean that you played worse in the later games.

Post subject: Re: The margin of loss is reduced.
Post #3 Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:01 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 253
Was liked: 105
Starting with contact moves, especially stuff like crosscuts are defensive maneuvers. Playing thick and isolating or threatening to isolate heavy stones is what attacking is.

In game 1, your cross cut at 24 will generally let white settle easily. It is important in the games that white was a DDK.

If you look at this sequence, which should be intuitive: http://eidogo.com/#kjd:pdpfndqdqcqercqjjc white cannot play white's last move and black need not play black's last move: White will end up cramped, and possibly attackable.

In game 2, black's 50 and 52 were great attacking moves. The technique at 60 is to play 62 directly. Black needs to be self-conscious about white's cut at K16.