It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AGA vs. BGA for foreign members.
Post #1 Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:32 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 1
Hi all,

Which would be better for foreign members - the AGA or BGA?

I am thinking of taking a membership in one or the other groups but since I live in Canada will not likely attend any chapters in person. Which group, in your opinion, would have the best resources for foreign members? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: AGA vs. BGA for foreign members.
Post #2 Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:19 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 163
Was liked: 67
dharma_bum wrote:
Hi all,

I am thinking of taking a membership in one or the other groups but since I live in Canada will not likely attend any chapters in person. Which group, in your opinion, would have the best resources for foreign members? Thanks.

Think not what your association can do for you, but what you can do for your association.

None of the above. Go Canada! http://go-canada.org/

( More seriously, for a Canadian I think AGA would be better, from your original choices. )

This post by PeterHB was liked by: Bonobo

Post #3 Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:00 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 49
Was liked: 129
I do not know the answer to the original question, but I'm curious to know why would you want to join a foreign association in the first place (esp. if one exists in your own country)?

Post #4 Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:08 pm 
Beginner

PeterHB wrote:
dharma_bum wrote:
Hi all,

Think not what your association can do for you, but what you can do for your association.

None of the above. Go Canada! http://go-canada.org/

( More seriously, for a Canadian I think AGA would be better, from your original choices. )

Of course I would consider the Canadian Association but their website appears less resource intense and I am still at the learning phase. Also, I do not intend to visit the Vancouver chapter which is closest to me.

Thanks though.

Post #5 Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:10 pm 
Beginner

tj86430 wrote:
I do not know the answer to the original question, but I'm curious to know why would you want to join a foreign association in the first place (esp. if one exists in your own country)?

I had a bad "in person" experience at the Vancouver Branch years ago and to not intend on visiting again. It was very unwelcoming and actually turned me off of the game for over a decade.

Thanks for getting back to me though.

Post #6 Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:53 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
In general, you can find valuable go resources online for free, and it will amount to more than you'll directly benefit from one of these organizations.

The purpose for joining the organization is mainly to support the organization.

I've been an AGA member for a long time, with no real benefit to myself other than being able to participate in AGA-rated tournaments. Being a part of the organization just makes you part of the group, and part of the contribution to the organization.

If you like the things an organization is doing (e.g. AGA broadcasts of professional games), becoming a member and providing support may help the organization to do more of those things.

Or, you just like go, and spending a bit of money every year to support a go-related organization makes you feel happy...

This post by Kirby was liked by 2 people: goTony, joellercoaster

Post #7 Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:27 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 542
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
Kirby omitted to say that the AGA gives a lot of support to teachers of go, especially in schools. Supporting the AGA is also supporting go in general and the development of the go playing population.

Post #8 Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:34 am 
Beginner

Kirby wrote:
In general, you can find valuable go resources online for free, and it will amount to more than you'll directly benefit from one of these organizations.

The purpose for joining the organization is mainly to support the organization.

I've been an AGA member for a long time, with no real benefit to myself other than being able to participate in AGA-rated tournaments. Being a part of the organization just makes you part of the group, and part of the contribution to the organization.

If you like the things an organization is doing (e.g. AGA broadcasts of professional games), becoming a member and providing support may help the organization to do more of those things.

Or, you just like go, and spending a bit of money every year to support a go-related organization makes you feel happy...

Thanks for the clarification as a member. Basically it might be good to access the curated resources hosted by the AGA or BGA. I have many Go bookmarks including Sensei's Library but sometimes it is hard, at my level, to weed out good, and less so, resources. I am a member of a couple of American and UK groups related to other hobbies and have found enough benefit to maintain my membership.

Thanks. O

Post #9 Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:35 am 
Beginner

gowan wrote:
Kirby omitted to say that the AGA gives a lot of support to teachers of go, especially in schools. Supporting the AGA is also supporting go in general and the development of the go playing population.

Gowan - as an educator this might be the best motivator of all. I am tired of watching students (as young as grade 3or 4) with their faces in smartphones. O

Post #10 Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:39 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 14
Was liked: 23
The AGA certainly does a lot more overall, but the resources are made freely available, e.g. all of their videos and streams on YouTube. If you don't plan on attending anything, then the BGA doesn't offer you much (you can see the journals a little sooner than non-members if you like to read, and maybe some other little bits and pieces?). I'm not sure that the AGA would offer much to non-attendees either though that isn't available to non-members. I'm British so don't know very much about their side of things :) .

Post #11 Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:30 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 201
Was liked: 333
GD Posts: 428
dharma_bum wrote:
gowan wrote:

Gowan - as an educator this might be the best motivator of all. I am tired of watching students (as young as grade 3or 4) with their faces in smartphones. O

If you are interested in supporting youth involvement, you could also look into the AGF -- http://agfgo.org/pages/home.php

(Note: I am a firm supporter of the AGA, just thought I'd mention another option worth looking into)