It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I'm a Go beginner and I really want learn
Post #1 Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:36 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
Hello guys,

I'm a Go beginner and I really want learn, but I'm not the kind of guy who learns just by reading books.

Are there and actual tutorials or simulators that can help me learn go?

I have watched a few matches and it still confuses me, I read a threads here they are mentioning about territory?

Post subject: Re: I'm a Go beginner and I really want learn
Post #2 Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:58 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
This is probably the first place to start: http://playgo.to/iwtg/en/

It is also available in other languages: http://playgo.to/iwtg/

When you are finished that, ask again :)

Post #3 Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:14 am 
Oza

Liked others: 662
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: Boidhre
I found this site good as well when starting out: http://321go.org/home/

Post #4 Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:35 am 
Lives in sente

Was liked: 180
And take your own learning style into account.

Some of us are able to learn from books (or other text), some of us by "watching", and some of us only by our own trial and error. Since you already are a chess player, you probably know which sort of a person in terms of how you learn related to chess. While go and chess are very different sorts of games, how you best learn isn't likely to be different.

Be careful with "simulators", but I believe if properly used within their limitations, could be useful, especially if you are a "must try out to learn".

As a total beginner, you could download (the free trial version of) Many Faces of Go. The free trial version is limited to 18 kyu play and the easiest set of problems, but for a total beginner that would be OK. I believe it would include the tutorial and probably functions like "why" aren't disabled (though of course, only playing 18 kyu)

Post #5 Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:11 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 24
OGS: Saint Ravitt
Mike Novack wrote:
And take your own learning style into account.

Some of us are able to learn from books (or other text), some of us by "watching", and some of us only by our own trial and error. Since you already are a chess player, you probably know which sort of a person in terms of how you learn related to chess. While go and chess are very different sorts of games, how you best learn isn't likely to be different.

Be careful with "simulators", but I believe if properly used within their limitations, could be useful, especially if you are a "must try out to learn".

As a total beginner, you could download (the free trial version of) Many Faces of Go. The free trial version is limited to 18 kyu play and the easiest set of problems, but for a total beginner that would be OK. I believe it would include the tutorial and probably functions like "why" aren't disabled (though of course, only playing 18 kyu)

I can vouch for the Many faces of Go program - I feel like it play more "human-like" than any bot I've ever played. You'll probably want to pay for the full program and take advantage of all the resources offered inlcuding game analysis and commented pro games and stuff. It will also teach you to play Go from the very beginning.

Post #6 Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:32 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 56
http://playgo.to/iwtg/en/ is where I did my first steps, and I still recommend it to anyone who asks about go.

If you complete that, and still feel like doing work, getting a book like Graded Go Problems for Beginners v. 1 or maybe starting on the Level Up! series from Baduktopia is the next step.

Most important, however, is that you play games and enjoy them. Never skip on the fun part!

Post #7 Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:12 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 53
Was liked: 109
KGS: Soji
DGS: Soji
Online playing schedule: KGS usually Friday 20:00-23:00
After you've gone through the links above, another fine resource is https://gochild2009.appspot.com/
Although it's called gochild it's also widely used by adults. It has many many problems also for when you just about learned the rules. After you've played your first few games, go try the entrance problems. It doesn't give any explanation about anything, but it'll show lots of important basic shapes.
If you find yourself puzzled by anything in a game or a website, come ask here. There are no stupid questions, so don't worry.
To play games against real people is one of the most fun way to learn new things especially at the beginning. You can go to a go server like KGS or OGS. If you state you just learned the rules in your game request, you'll normaly find helpful people to play you and explain you some new things pretty quickly. Don't be afraid of anyone's levels, putting down enough handicap stones on a 9x9 board will make up even for vastly different ranks. Appropriate high handicap on a small board can help you learn first basic principle of how to connect / cut and will make for a fun game even against much, much stronger people.
I played my first few games with five and four handicap stones on 9x9 :mrgreen: (it's so great when you've learned enough to remove one!)
Playing someone your own level is also great fun, but it might be difficult to find an opponent at first. (My personnal tactic was to convince an innocent victim to learn the game with me).

Post #8 Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:55 am 
Beginner

Was liked: 1
Thanks guys, I'll be checking each one ofthem. :) :bow:

Post #9 Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:28 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 47
Universal go server handle: djllap
When I was first learning I just spent a lot of time playing go in the KGS Go Server's "Beginner's Room". There are usually people there who will play teaching games with you no matter your level. I think there is really no substitute for playing games, and lots of them. I prefer to jump straight to games immediately after the rules are taught, first 9x9 then 13x13.

Also a word of advice. Try not to worry about how fast you are learning or compare yourself to others too much. Every one progresses at a different pace, and every step forward is an accomplishment. This advice is probably more for myself than you, as I tend to be very competitive in that sort of thing. There is probably no better humbling occurrence than getting smoked at a go tournament by multiple little kids.