It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Videos on youtube for app. 20k
Post #1 Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:50 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 87
Was liked: 11
I have this friend who is a quite strong player in chess (around 2000 ELO) and who started recently playing go. He is quite strong at reading ahead and tactics like life and death, but he has no idea about strategy. In the 9x9 board i'd say he's around 15k but in the 19x19 board probably around 20k and he feels lost playing in it. What i'm asking is specific videos on youtube which talk about fuseki, joseki, basic ideas like what is territory, what is influence, yose etc. targeted towards 20k players. I'm interested in specific videos and not channels.

Post subject:
Post #2 Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:43 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Hello,

Your friend's Go skills sound like a child's (in the good sense): children can be very good at life-and-death, tesujis, tactics, local fights, and reading in general, but sometimes they can be puzzled by the bigger picture (whole board strategy, etc.).

If he has not yet finished 100 games, I still strongly recommend it. (Especially if he is lacking experience on the bigger boards.)

Post subject: Re: Videos on youtube for app. 20k
Post #3 Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:09 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 87
Was liked: 11
He has played like 5 games on 19x19, but i was hoping to speed up his advancement. I have no doubt in my mind that if he put some effort to his go he could be really good in a very short time. The fact that i can barely beat him with 2 stones in a 9x9 board is kinda scary considering he has played only 15-20 games or so. He has complained to me that go in 19x19 seems much more abstract than chess and that he would like some pointers. So any help would be appreciated.

Post #4 Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:42 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 269
Was liked: 129
KGS: captslow
Online playing schedule: irregular and by appointment
He might be interested in the videos by Nick Sibicky.
It's a channel, but many interesting lessons. And he can click to recommended/similar videos if he visit Nick Sibicky's channel and videos.

Post #5 Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:54 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
I suggest he reads Opening Theory Made Easy by Otake Hideo.

This post by Uberdude was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #6 Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:45 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 288
Was liked: 65
OGS: Joellercoaster
+1 to Otake, and not merely for the strictly-fuseki part of the game.

I need to read that book again knowing what I know now*, but I think I picked it up somewhere around 15k and it really helped me bring some kind of order to the bewilderment of dealing with the large board.

I'm not saying it fixed everything or even that I absorbed most of the concepts, but I definitely felt better, with some ideas about what I was trying to do.

Also Nick Sibicky videos; there are a few called things like "Traditional Opening Theory" which I remember finding reassuring (and still do, I haven't watched them all). His kyu-grade game reviews in particular have a lot of food for thought about whole-board intentions and mistakes.

* this is true of every Go book I have read so far, including even The Second Book of Go which had bits that escaped me at the time. I was a beginner then, I feel like weirdly I'm even more of a beginner now - I just have a better vision of how much.

Post #7 Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:02 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 26
Was liked: 20
KGS: 2k
Tygem: 2d
IGS: 1k
Wbaduk: 2d
OGS: 1K
Don't have any video in mind to suggest you but the best book I read as a double digit kyu was Lectures on Go Techniques from Cho Hun-Hyeon (Yutopian Enterprise). That book got me from around 18kyu on KGS to about 11 kyu! It's like studying the A,B,C of Go: first syllables (1 or 2 moves), then words (basic shapes), then sentences (broader local shapes). Apart from the 30 first pages of the first volume, the whole series is set in a problems format. It's a tactical learning book, but not a life and death or tesuji one: it just focuses on basic short sequences and then look at the resulting position by comparing it with other ones, hence gradually giving the reader the ability to assess a whole board situation ('this is good/bad for Black/White).

Apart from that, I suggest that he plays lots of 13x13 games on GoQuest (There's also an app for Android and iOS) to get a feel for a broader board size as a transition before playing on 19x19. But like EdLee recommended, he should play 100 games as quickly as possible to build some experience: if he played chess he might spend too much time thinking about EVERY possibilities, but it would be more efficient for him to quickly try stuff and fail again and again, THEN recognize which moves are worth spending time considering and which are not. Hence playing a hundred games on 13x13 as quickly as possible, then repeat the process on 19x19 seems like a good idea to me.
In my humble opinion, anyway :)

Good luck.

Post #8 Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:35 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
OGS: DirtyJo
Universal go server handle: DirtyJo
Im in the same boat as your friend. Im a 2150 uscf chess player. I just got interested in go because of the alphago match. Ive been looking for videos online but im having mixed success. The best vids ive found so far are nick sibickys, but there are a few drawbacks for me. His vids all take place on a 19x19 board, snd the discussion is riddled with go terms i havent learned yet so its hard to follow.

What ive decided to do is to just break the language barrier. Rather than worry about my rank or how many i win or lose i am just trying to learn the terminology and get in my first 100 games.

What has been a big barrier to me as a chess player coming to go is just the variety of games in go. If i put out a seek for a game i can choose 9x9, 13x13, 19x19, chinese scoring, japanese, and so many options ...it doesnt all seem like the same game to me and i dont know if what ive learned in a video on a 19x19 board applies to a 9x9 board.

Post #9 Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:54 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
DirtyJo wrote:
Im in the same boat as your friend. Im a 2150 uscf chess player. I just got interested in go because of the alphago match. Ive been looking for videos online but im having mixed success. The best vids ive found so far are nick sibickys, but there are a few drawbacks for me. His vids all take place on a 19x19 board, snd the discussion is riddled with go terms i havent learned yet so its hard to follow.

What ive decided to do is to just break the language barrier. Rather than worry about my rank or how many i win or lose i am just trying to learn the terminology and get in my first 100 games.

What has been a big barrier to me as a chess player coming to go is just the variety of games in go. If i put out a seek for a game i can choose 9x9, 13x13, 19x19, chinese scoring, japanese, and so many options ...it doesnt all seem like the same game to me and i dont know if what ive learned in a video on a 19x19 board applies to a 9x9 board.

Welcome to the game. Different board sizes are in a way different games but the rules are the same. The reason for playing on a smaller board is to play in a situation where you can see the larger scale effect of your moves and, also, to get the games over faster. Start out on 9x9 and once you don't feel overwhelmed moe up in size. The different rule sets are essentially the same game but they differ in how they handle certain repetitious situations and other technicalities such as whether points count in sekis. How the score is determined at the end of the game (and even when the game is over) varies from rule set to another. At a beginner level most of that is irrelevant. The two most widely used rule sets are the Japanese and the Chinese. Japanese rules count points as territory, unoccupied intersections on the board, and captured stones, Chinese rules essentially count only living stones on the board. Sensei's Library (http://senseis.xmp.net/?PagesForBeginners) has a lot of information in one place on just about site. Dig in and ask your questions here or on SL.

Post #10 Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:15 am 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
gowan wrote:
DirtyJo wrote:

Welcome to the game. Different board sizes are in a way different games but the rules are the same. The reason for playing on a smaller board is to play in a situation where you can see the larger scale effect of your moves and, also, to get the games over faster. Start out on 9x9 and once you don't feel overwhelmed moe up in size. The different rule sets are essentially the same game but they differ in how they handle certain repetitious situations and other technicalities such as whether points count in sekis. How the score is determined at the end of the game (and even when the game is over) varies from rule set to another. At a beginner level most of that is irrelevant. The two most widely used rule sets are the Japanese and the Chinese. Japanese rules count points as territory, unoccupied intersections on the board, and captured stones, Chinese rules essentially count only living stones on the board. Sensei's Library (http://senseis.xmp.net/?PagesForBeginners) has a lot of information in one place on just about site. Dig in and ask your questions here or on SL.

As a followup regarding rulesets, note that apart from rare instances, the score difference between sides shouldn't vary by more than 1 point, and it's not really worth worrying about as a beginner. Just ask around for what people in your area play with (in the US it's usually Japanese or sometimes AGA) and use that when selecting a game.