It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Playing against SmartGo 9x9
Post #1 Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:56 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Hello! I recently downloaded SmartGo Kiku for my iPhone and I have been playing 9x9.

Does anyone know strong the program is?

In addition, please have a look at one of my games. I always lose by half a point! Can't beat it with a two stone handicap. I apologize in advance for my bad form but I feel like I really need some advice to get over this plateau. Thank you very much!

Attachments:
Attachment-1.sgf [377 Bytes]
Downloaded 1131 times

Post subject: Re: Playing against SmartGo 9x9
Post #2 Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:07 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 47
Universal go server handle: djllap
Boshi wrote:
I always lose by half a point!

Is the scoring Japanese or Chinese? Because your last move is not needed at all, and protecting there will lose you an entire point with Japanese rules. Aside from that, I'm not sure what to say. I have never played 9x9 boards with a handicap. The program does seem to be pretty weak. Maybe you should try playing on GoQuest. you can play humans and bots there of pretty much any strength.

Post #3 Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:43 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
I would take issue with moves 8 and 10 for sure. Move 8 should either block on the bottom, separating white's single stone, or play where move 10 is, threatening an atari and black connection to the isolated stone.

Move 10 should block on the bottom. Now that White has turned, playing on the top is smaller.

And Black's last move is necessary, otherwise White ataris.

Post #4 Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:20 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 47
Universal go server handle: djllap
DJLLAP wrote:
Boshi wrote:
I always lose by half a point!

Is the scoring Japanese or Chinese? Because your last move is not needed at all, and protecting there will lose you an entire point with Japanese rules. Aside from that, I'm not sure what to say. I have never played 9x9 boards with a handicap. The program does seem to be pretty weak. Maybe you should try playing on GoQuest. you can play humans and bots there of pretty much any strength.

Oops! Sorry, I thought you were white. :oops:

Post #5 Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:18 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
DJLLAP wrote:
Is the scoring Japanese or Chinese? Because your last move is not needed at all, and protecting there will lose you an entire point with Japanese rules

Thanks for your input! I should have made it clear that I was Black haha. SmartGo has the rules set to AGA (Area).

hyperpape wrote:
I would take issue with moves 8 and 10 for sure. Move 8 should either block on the bottom, separating white's single stone, or play where move 10 is, threatening an atari and black connection to the isolated stone.

Move 10 should block on the bottom. Now that White has turned, playing on the top is smaller.

And Black's last move is necessary, otherwise White ataris.

Thank you for this advice. So just to be clear, I should have played B8 (D8) at B10 (D5) and instead play B10 at W11 (F3)?

I was just worried White would play in that large open space, so that's my reasoning behind playing B8 (D8).

Post #6 Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:47 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 7
KGS: amb
Boshi wrote:
I was just worried White would play in that large open space, so that's my reasoning behind playing B8 (D8).

Not that I'm remotely an expert, but my experience so far with weaker go-playing programs is that they adore the in-your-face tactical and prefer it overmuch to big moves. In the larger scheme of things it's fairly silly of the program, but nonetheless sometimes it forces a response, and if you can shape your response in such a way as to extend influence so much the better.