It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Becoming more center focused
Post #1 Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:25 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
Hey everyone, i've been playing for about a month now pretty regularly and I find myself hovering around 9k. However I have a few bad habits, one of which I've noticed is that I tend to go above and beyond trying to gain territory. If I see my opponent trying to form a moyo at all I will invade immediately and start a fight to the death to reduce it, which usually ends up with some group of mine getting put on the run across the board and the struggle to live begins cause all of my other groups are sealed off from the center. I'm just wanting to know how best to balance out going for territory versus creating influence towards the center. Also are there any pro's that play a more center/influence style that I can look at to try and get some ideas and learn from?

Post subject:
Post #2 Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:56 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Hi dkuro,

May I suggest you post your serious, non-blitz games here for reviews.

Hopefully, some nice people here will point out some of your real problems -- most likely they are not what you think --
you are unaware of them; that's why you continue to make them.

The biggest problem around these levels lies with our basics.

Post subject: Re: Becoming more center focused
Post #3 Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:04 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 318
Was liked: 345
Dkuro,

First congrats on reaching 9k in a month. That is very good!

Second, it sounds like you already have some idea what you are doing wrong. You used the word "balance" and that is correct. If you are obsessed with third line cash while your opponent plays higher moves, he can push you down and build a moyo. If it is so big that your only choice is invasion then your earlier moves weren't balanced.

Later you will learn several things. 1) Many moyos aren't nearly as big as you think, especially if you got the surrounding corners. You may be okay making him cement the territory by playing outside moves. 2) the game of go is about fighting, not tidy little territories. When you recognize strong and weak groups, you will learn to defend and attack better and earn points naturally. This is key for the breakthrough to 5k.

These points are very general. Follow Ed's advice and post a game, and see if you get good specific feedback.

Post #4 Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:00 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
dkuro wrote:
Hey everyone, i've been playing for about a month now pretty regularly and I find myself hovering around 9k. However I have a few bad habits, one of which I've noticed is that I tend to go above and beyond trying to gain territory. If I see my opponent trying to form a moyo at all I will invade immediately and start a fight to the death to reduce it, which usually ends up with some group of mine getting put on the run across the board and the struggle to live begins cause all of my other groups are sealed off from the center. I'm just wanting to know how best to balance out going for territory versus creating influence towards the center. Also are there any pro's that play a more center/influence style that I can look at to try and get some ideas and learn from?

We cannot tell from your description whether invading is a bad habit or not. If you have only been playing for one month, can you be said to have any habits at all? It is true that greed is bad in go, and should be avoided.

However, you do indicate a problem when you say that all of your other groups are sealed off from the center. That is not good. Luckily, it is a problem that you can handle without further study. Avoid getting sealed in. A good rule of thumb for group safety that I learned early on is this: One eye and access to the center.

As for balancing territory and influence, that is question that keeps coming up, no matter how good you are. :) For inspiration about center oriented play, you might look at games from the New Fuseki era. Go Seigen was a source of ideas throughout his life. Takemiya's Cosmic Go is worthy of study. Fujisawa Hideyuki (Shuko) is good to study to learn about thickness.

He is not a pro, but Bruce Wilcox's material is good. One thing he talks about is sector lines and the importance of breaking them, i. e., pushing into the center.

Good luck!

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #5 Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:59 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 12
Was liked: 8
KGS: 6 kyu
dkuro wrote:
Hey everyone.. Also are there any pro's that play a more center/influence style that I can look at to try and get some ideas and learn from?

Have a look at Takemiya Masaki, you can download a lot of his games from links on that page. I went through dozens, myself >:D

Post #6 Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:57 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 505
KGS: magicwand
Tygem: magicwand
Wbaduk: rlatkfkd
DGS: magicwand
OGS: magicwand
Kyu level trying to play middle game I dont recommand. You have to understand basic go in order to play such game. When I was kyu level I only played moves that I studied and know the variation. That is how you improve. Unless you reach dan level, study basics and avoid experimental moves. It will help you improve much faster.

Words by neil peart, music by geddy lee and alex lifeson

Post #7 Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:35 am 
Honinbo

Magicwand wrote:
Kyu level trying to play middle game I dont recommand. You have to understand basic go in order to play such game. When I was kyu level I only played moves that I studied and know the variation. That is how you improve. Unless you reach dan level, study basics and avoid experimental moves. It will help you improve much faster.

OTOH, I always played experimental moves. :)

There are many paths up the mountain. :D

Visualize whirled peas.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: Bonobo

Post #8 Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:07 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
Bill Spight wrote:
Magicwand wrote:

OTOH, I always played experimental moves. :)

There are many paths up the mountain. :D

I think every move I play is experimental (because I don't yet know what I'm doing)

This post by xed_over was liked by: Bonobo

Post #9 Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:22 pm 
Honinbo

You might be interested in this thread. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11681 :D

Visualize whirled peas.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: Bonobo