It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WAGC
Post #1 Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:39 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 10
Was liked: 41
Has anyone seen any sign of a WAGC website yet? The competition date is coming closer...

Post subject: Re: WAGC
Post #2 Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:12 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
GD Posts: 16
google "31 wagc"
first entry:
http://www.world-go.org/index.php?opt=c ... 34&lang=en
since it shows a list of countries that participate it should be connected somehow to that tournament (or they copied that list from past wagc websites)
edit: btw, under "news" you can find infos about the 3rd master course in vienna, AT. anyone who wants to participate should register soon, because there´s not much time left (the mastercourse will be in november 27-29th 2009)

Post #3 Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:27 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 202
Was liked: 1087
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
List of contestants at: http://www.nihonkiin.or.jp/amakisen/wor ... tants.html (not fully complete yet)

This post by HermanHiddema was liked by: Phelan

Post #4 Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:35 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
I was struck by how very few contestants are now programmers and mathematicians. We now have plumbers, social workers, architects, etc. I regard this as a sign of progress for western go.

I note with approval also the many new faces. Not entirely sure why, but I'd like to see the young Cuban 4-dan do well.

I'm puzzled by the absence of some countries such as Indonesia (which has quite a few strong players of Chinese extraction who have been served quite well by the Kansai Ki-in the past).

Presumably contestants having to pay their own air fare this time has affected who is attending.

Post #5 Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:15 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 10
Was liked: 41
John Fairbairn wrote:
I was struck by how very few contestants are now programmers and mathematicians. We now have plumbers, social workers, architects, etc. I regard this as a sign of progress for western go.

I note with approval also the many new faces. Not entirely sure why, but I'd like to see the young Cuban 4-dan do well.

I'm puzzled by the absence of some countries such as Indonesia (which has quite a few strong players of Chinese extraction who have been served quite well by the Kansai Ki-in the past).

Presumably contestants having to pay their own air fare this time has affected who is attending.

I find it hard to believe that Indonesia will not attend. The Italian representative has had to withdraw due to illness, but a replacement will travel in his place.

Post #6 Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:05 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 3
John Fairbairn wrote:

it's one problem. Since Indonesia Igo Federation has no official sponsor at the moment, the representative must pay his/her own expense. It is one problem. The other problem, perhaps, is time. The top players seem to be busy at the moment...

Post #7 Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:39 am 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
I thought expenses were always paid. Is this the first time they have not been?

Post #8 Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:08 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 65
Was liked: 340
GD Posts: 2428
I really hope Korean tensions do not lead to anyone pulling out of the tournament.

Post #9 Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:20 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 180
Was liked: 151
GD Posts: 422
KGS: komi
DrStraw wrote:
I thought expenses were always paid. Is this the first time they have not been?

yes

Post #10 Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:48 am 
Lives with ko

Just checked out the players. Really inaccurate info on past representation in many cases. My favorite is Soldan from Poland being listed as a first timer! I am pretty sure this is not only the second time for Thomas Hsaing and Yongfei Ge as well. T Mark just stated the other day here that this was his second trip, yet he is down as a first timer too.

Post #11 Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:17 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 65
GD Posts: 29
I'm quite sure that the earlier version of the contestants page had an entry count 11 for Leszek. I guess something was lost in the editing at some stage. Judging from my own stats, the entries include the previous entries only.

I'm quite thrilled about the WAGC in Hangzhou. Even though some sponsorship is lost, it's still a major happening in our amateur go world. Of course, don't forget the European Go Congress 2010 in Tampere, Finland :)

Cheers,
Vesa

http://www.egc2010.fi

Post #12 Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:56 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 137
Was liked: 155
HKA wrote:
I really hope Korean tensions do not lead to anyone pulling out of the tournament.

Can you explain a little what exactly you are talking about? Because I and presumably others have no clue. :)

Post #13 Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:02 pm 
Lives with ko

tapir wrote:
HKA wrote:

Can you explain a little what exactly you are talking about? Because I and presumably others have no clue. :)

Well, this site is not about discussing political disputes. It is hard to believe that folks are not aware that South Korea is accusing North Korea of torpedoeing a ship, killing several.

Post #14 Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:29 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
for others who don't know...

torpedo incident
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/asia_p ... 129703.stm

four months ago, artillery fire exchange
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific ... d=2a6f9995

Post #15 Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:02 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
People may have died this time, but I don't think that this kind of news is anything really new. There's also a number of people in Korea that don't even believe that it really happened - elections are coming up in South Korea. But as HKA said, this is a political issue, and not exactly the scope of this forum.

Post #16 Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:57 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 4
I hope I can see the sgf of all the rounds. Wonder where game record will be published?

Post #17 Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:00 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 1562
Was liked: 140
GD Posts: 892
You usually get an sgf for each round, as they only record one table per round. I wonder if players will note down their games and post them online after, or if the organization will try something new.

I expect anything new will be announced in the other thread: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=617 or in one of the sites linked in it.

Post #18 Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:41 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 4
Hopefully the top boards are being recorded and will be posted. I would very much like to the game between Cheng-hsun Chen (Republic of China) and Taewon Jo (Democratic People's Republic of Korea). Sounds very interesting with two variations of the avalanche in adjacent corners. Can anyone read enough Chinese to find that game at this site? http://qipu.games.sports.cn/list.html

Post #19 Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:15 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
Velobici wrote:
Can anyone read enough Chinese to find that game at this site? http://qipu.games.sports.cn/list.html

see this other thread in the General Go section: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=617

I don't believe that game has been posted there.

I believe 赵大元 will be Taewon Jo's Chinese name