It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

What do you think about the current mod activity?
There is too much mod activity. 19%  19%  [ 9 ]
There is perhaps a little too much mod activity. 15%  15%  [ 7 ]
The mod activity is at an acceptable level. 21%  21%  [ 10 ]
The mods have got the balance just right. 13%  13%  [ 6 ]
There could be a little more mod activity. 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
There is not at all enough mod activity. 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
This poll is inappropriate! 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
I'm just thankful for order they provide, from the chaos of the net. :) 19%  19%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 48
 Post subject: Re: Moderation level
Post #101 Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:44 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
Tanuki wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadistic_personality_disorder#Enforcing_sadist_.28compulsive_features.29

Unfortunately it's this kind of person that tends to stay when others get burned out and leave.
They may listen but they wouldn't be able to change even if they wanted to, they are doomed to repeat the same kind of behavior over and over.
Of course they are not the ones that should be blamed, but rather the "sensible" people that allows them to stay.

Does this sound like it is talking about the person or about the person's move?

Post #102 Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:30 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
tchan001 wrote:
Tanuki wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadistic_personality_disorder#Enforcing_sadist_.28compulsive_features.29

Unfortunately it's this kind of person that tends to stay when others get burned out and leave.
They may listen but they wouldn't be able to change even if they wanted to, they are doomed to repeat the same kind of behavior over and over.
Of course they are not the ones that should be blamed, but rather the "sensible" people that allows them to stay.

Does this sound like it is talking about the person or about the person's move?

Apparently it didn't cross the line, otherwise it would have been censored, no? I personally am not going to bother to read the linked article, but the fact remains that as long as the L19 moderation system remains intransparent and without any control mechanism, there is nothing preventing the admins/mods from acting as if they own the place. The only options currently available to voice discontent are public outcry which you as a mod may or may not decide to allow (I can point to instances when it has been disallowed), or a personal appeal to the admins to reconsider their decisions, in which case the power discrepancy should be obvious. There are possibilities to alleviate this situation, but interestingly enough, they lie in the hands of the admins.

This post by daal was liked by: Bonobo

Post #103 Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:07 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
Perhaps the mods haven't read the comment yet. As I'm not currently someone on mod duty, I'm just asking the question from the perspective of an ordinary member :)

Post #104 Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:41 am 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
daal wrote:
...there is nothing preventing the admins/mods from acting as if they own the place...

An admin does own the place. His name is Jordus.

Post #105 Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:43 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
daal wrote:
...there is nothing preventing the admins/mods from acting as if they own the place...

Indeed. And Jordus has already expressed his will to give ownership to the community.

See http://senseis.xmp.net/?ReplacingGoDiscussions

unkx80 wrote:
Questions on Jordus's Life in 19x19 site.
1) Is this site hosting only the forum and no other unrelated things?
2) Is Jordus prepared to give up ownership of the domain and administrative access, should he lack the capacity to maintain it?
If yes to both questions, his site gets a + vote from me. Otherwise, I will give it a - vote.

Jordus wrote:
In answer to unkx80, 1) Yes. The hosting service is hosting only that website (Currently on the home page there is a small soduku game available and a 7000+ go game database; depending on community opinion those can be removed.) 2)Yes I am prepared to give ownership to the community. In fact, once the community has decided on a select group of admins, I plan to give full access to the site to those admins.

This post by hashimoto was liked by: Bonobo

Post #106 Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:42 am 
Oza

Joaz Banbeck wrote:
daal wrote:

But he doesn't act that way.

Post #107 Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:37 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
hashimoto wrote:
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
daal wrote:

Indeed. And Jordus has already expressed his will to give ownership to the community.

See http://senseis.xmp.net/?ReplacingGoDiscussions

unkx80 wrote:
Questions on Jordus's Life in 19x19 site.
1) Is this site hosting only the forum and no other unrelated things?
2) Is Jordus prepared to give up ownership of the domain and administrative access, should he lack the capacity to maintain it?
If yes to both questions, his site gets a + vote from me. Otherwise, I will give it a - vote.

Jordus wrote:
In answer to unkx80, 1) Yes. The hosting service is hosting only that website (Currently on the home page there is a small soduku game available and a 7000+ go game database; depending on community opinion those can be removed.) 2)Yes I am prepared to give ownership to the community. In fact, once the community has decided on a select group of admins, I plan to give full access to the site to those admins.

Yes, this is interesting. Two questions:

1. Is the admin selection a community effort now?
I am not really aware of any open selection process, but maybe I am just missing things. In either case, I still have the second question.

2. Does "giving access to admins" (community-appointed or not) means the same as making it a community-run or community-owned site?
I think (some?) admins might already have (full?) access, but what does it mean and what does it get us? Is this a community-owned forum now?

It is easy to read into things what you want, but what does it all really mean?

Post #108 Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:36 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Tanuki wrote:

Whatever someone thinks about admins in general, this simply doesn't apply to any of our admins here.

This post by hyperpape was liked by: Boidhre

Post #109 Posted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:26 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Seems a little odd to me that this discussion has come to a halt …

Post #110 Posted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:20 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
Bonobo wrote:

I suspect that in the absence of moderator action that people object to and notice, most of the time there won't be anything to comment on.

Post #111 Posted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:00 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
skydyr wrote:
Bonobo wrote:

I suspect that in the absence of moderator action that people object to and notice, most of the time there won't be anything to comment on.

This thread exists and was quite alive because people noticed and objected to moderator actions, at least two threads were mentioned where Go teachers announced their availability (in the “Teachers/Club” Leaders section!) and where their contact information was censored by moderators—and those threads are locked now so one can’t even ask for more information there.

Several questions have been asked, like “where should Go teachers announce their availability if not in a Go forum?” and have, in my humble opinion, not been answered. We also allow authors to announce their books … why not teachers?

Sitting this out? Everybody will forget, for a while, until next time? Rinse, repeat?

Greetings, Tom

Post #112 Posted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:24 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 788
Bonobo wrote:
Everybody will forget, for a while, until next time?

No. I am patiently waiting for the admins' clarification and will ask in ca. a month if the answer is still not given.

Post #113 Posted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:42 am 
Oza

RobertJasiek wrote:
Bonobo wrote:
Everybody will forget, for a while, until next time?

No. I am patiently waiting for the admins' clarification and will ask in ca. a month if the answer is still not given.

+1

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6