It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: The connection has timed out
Post #121 Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:44 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
We appeared to be down for a while this morning ( Pacific time ) - even cell access. was it just me?

Nope, not just you. The whole site seems to have been down, including the main page (so - not just the forums.)

How is the fixing going?

Post #122 Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:47 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 662
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: Boidhre
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
We appeared to be down for a while this morning ( Pacific time ) - even cell access. was it just me?

For the past six hours the site has been generally unusable for me. It was ok this morning/early afternoon GMT time.

Post #123 Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:56 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 105
Was liked: 123
Been trying for hours to log in... On the East Coast.

Post #124 Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:32 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 199
Was liked: 76
I'm having trouble too, here in Australia.

Post #125 Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:33 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 199
Was liked: 76
I'm having trouble too, here in Australia.

Post #126 Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:23 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Same here in Germany.

BTW you can always try http://www.isup.me/lifein19x19.com (short url for http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/), it was definitely down for a few hours.

Joaz, this is getting really, really, really annoying. This has been going on for … how long? At least half a year, and it seems it’s getting worse than has been before.

Does Jordus have any interest in keeping L19 up? When was the last time you two have communicated? Did Jordus communicate anything else but “zzz”?

I’m willing to pay perhaps US$ 10/year or perhaps US$ 1/month if only these problems get solved. If only ten people would do so then it should be perfectly possible to migrate to a decent provider/server, given that nothing else has to be changed. If 30+ people pay the same then there should be even some surplus money for booze (for a few days at least, YMMV).

I have never experienced things like these with other forums I frequent, and I am a member in quite a few.

IIRC there was a donation campagin some time ago, there even was a survey asking what to do with the money. (I admit that I didn’t donate because at the time I was unemployed and had to live off govt. money.)
What happened with the donated money?

Greetings, Tom

This post by Bonobo was liked by 2 people: Bantari, daal

Post subject: The connection has timed out
Post #127 Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:54 pm 
Gosei

I might also be willing to donate a few bucks a year to L19. But - if the problem is lack of interest or something, additional funds might not solve the problem.

Personally, if we are going to have a forum riddled with technical issues - i would rather it was a free one than one i have to pay for.

I think the *only* long-term solution here is to make L19 a truly community owned affair, as it was initially advertised. This way when one 'owner' loses interest - there is another one to fill in.

Or start another forum and make sure it is community-owned for real this time. But please - make it a phpBB forum, or whatever this one is, so as to minimize data migration process.

This post by Bantari was liked by: Bonobo

Post #128 Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:17 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
Bantari wrote:
I think the *only* long-term solution here is to make L19 a truly community owned affair, as it was initially advertised. This way when one 'owner' loses interest - there is another one to fill in.

Someone still needs to be the one who actually pays for the hosting and whose name is on the DNS records, and they can always take their ball and go home.

I guess you could incorporate a non-profit for it, but that seems like overkill.

Post #129 Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:38 am 
Gosei

skydyr wrote:
Bantari wrote:

Someone still needs to be the one who actually pays for the hosting and whose name is on the DNS records, and they can always take their ball and go home.

True, of course.
But if the access creds are available to a few or more people, one person leaving will not kill the play. Somebody else will be able to change the payment options and start paying. The problem now is that with Jordus missing, nobody can do it, no matter how much they want.

And, in most cases - its not the matter of money, hosting such forum is cheap. I guess the bills still get paid or L19 would disappear.

The issue is access.

Post #130 Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:25 pm 
Site Admin

Liked others: 18
Was liked: 121
Universal go server handle: Jordus
Hey guys. Update on the issue. The server is having some upgrades done through the next week. If problems persist after the upgrades I have a few teaks to the forum coding I plan on working on to try to fix things. If neither works we will be looking to switch hosting providers.

Sorry I have seemed absent. My plans for getting Internet access where I am at didn't work out. (Was trying to use a hotspot and let's just say my pockets took a beating).

This post by Jordus was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, Splatted

Post #131 Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:57 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Jordus wrote:
Hey guys. Update on the issue. The server is having some upgrades done through the next week.
Sounds cool!

Quote:
[..]

Sorry I have seemed absent.
Nice to see you’re still around and caring about L19. Since I discovered this forum I’ve really gotten attached to it and the fine people here.

Thank you!

Quote:
[..] let's just say my pockets took a beating).
:-o

Greetings, Tom

Post #132 Posted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:23 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Jordus, would you consider giving Joaz or someone else your phone number for these cases?

Post #133 Posted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:55 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
hyperpape wrote:
Jordus, would you consider giving Joaz or someone else your phone number for these cases?

[admin]
He already did that before he left for the edges of civilization. But I didn't bother to use it because I knew that he knew about the situation.
[/admin]

a few weeks ago, Joaz Banbeck wrote:
[admin]
Jordus logged in yesterday and read his PMs, so something should be happening soon.
[/admin]

...and then...

Jordus wrote:
Hey guys. Update on the issue. The server is having some upgrades done through the next week. If problems persist after the upgrades I have a few teaks to the forum coding I plan on working on to try to fix things. If neither works we will be looking to switch hosting providers...

[admin]
So have faith, guys, it will all get fixed. We are not going to let this forum do a godiscussions type nosedive.
[/admin]

This post by Joaz Banbeck was liked by: Bonobo

Post #134 Posted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:22 pm 
Gosei

hyperpape wrote:

Or better yet, post the hosting info and whatever else in some admin-only area, so when you disappear into the boonies again the forum can get fixed in need.

Post #135 Posted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:50 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 662
Universal go server handle: Boidhre
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
hyperpape wrote:

[admin]
He already did that before he left for the edges of civilization. But I didn't bother to use it because I knew that he knew about the situation.
[/admin]

a few weeks ago, Joaz Banbeck wrote:
[admin]
Jordus logged in yesterday and read his PMs, so something should be happening soon.
[/admin]

...and then...

Jordus wrote:
Hey guys. Update on the issue. The server is having some upgrades done through the next week. If problems persist after the upgrades I have a few teaks to the forum coding I plan on working on to try to fix things. If neither works we will be looking to switch hosting providers...

[admin]
So have faith, guys, it will all get fixed. We are not going to let this forum do a godiscussions type nosedive.
[/admin]

Having a single point of failure is a pretty bad idea generally in any endeavour.

This post by Boidhre was liked by: Bantari

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7